The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you manual override the front spoiler?

griffsplace

Auto spoiler isn't working how it should and I was wanting to set it up with a manual control. I have seen a few posts mention this but cannot find anything definitive on how you do this exactly.

Has anyone on here done this, or have a link to a guide?

I would like to use the existing switches to control it.

I made my own spoiler ECU once, it functions similarly to the original ECU but allows manual up/down with a toggle switch. Here is a link. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?337723-Active-spoiler-controller

This post has the wiring diagrams and some other info for the ones AndrewOW used to make. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?261667-Supra-active-spoiler-manual-override-modules&p=4138564&viewfull=1#post4138564

• 1 year later...

I just like to add my version of this, known as "Alonsos smart mod" in the german community. I have allready published a full article some time ago there (in german).

A short summary;

It's a example). The "new" speed signal and ACC/GND is soldered directly into the ecu. The spoiler can then controlled by the "auto off" switch.

The prototype looked like this:

Foto 24.05.14 14 59 43.jpg

I was driving with this for 2 years without any issues. I'm currently doing a improved version with a more professional install this winter. Stay tuned :)

I just like to add my version of this, known as "Alonsos smart mod" in the german community. I have allready published a full article some time ago there (in german).

A short summary;

It's a example). The "new" speed signal and ACC/GND is soldered directly into the ecu. The spoiler can then controlled by the "auto off" switch.

The prototype looked like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230651[/ATTACH]

I was driving with this for 2 years without any issues. I'm currently doing a improved version with a more professional install this winter. Stay tuned :)

Hi this looks very interesting but the link does not work even though i have registered and logged in it says "You are not authorised to read this forum." Searching through the forum there is a post on connectors, but I cannot find one one this unit.

Any chance you could add into this forum a proper method on how this needs to be installed.

Ahh damn, the writeup is in the internal ("driver") section of the board. You need to confirm that you have currently registered a Supra to your name, and complete the registration process. To be honest, there is no need for that to just read my german post there :blink:

I'll provide a complete english version in this forum within the next days.

As a short teaser, how my mod works;

The OEM spoiler ECU does provide the following modes during driving:

• 1 - Spoiler always up when speed
  • 2a - Spoiler up when speed > 80km/h (50mph) and "Auto off" button on the switch pressed
  • 2b - Spoiler down when speed > 80km/h (50mph) and "Auto off" button on the switch not pressed
  • 3 - Spoiler always down when speed > 160km/h (100mph)

My mod does replace the speed signal from the car and simulate a constant speed of about 100km/h (60mp/h). As result, the spoiler will just operate in mode 2a or 2b, controlled by the factory switch - nothing else. The led does directly show the current state of the spoiler (like before)

Creating a square wave speed signal is pretty simple, and can realized by a cheap, generic device like a NE555 based circuit. You can buy a complete board that is directly able to deal with the voltage levels in a car (example device linked in my post above) for real cheap. To make even simpler, there is enough space in the spoiler ECU to install it directly in there. There are 3 wires to deal. You just need to connect it to GND and ACC, unsolder and protect the speed signal from the car on pin 1 (upper row, first pin right on my picture) from the board and connect the new speed signal to the old solder pad where pin1 was connected. Configure the NE555 to provide something in the area of 100Hz. Isolate and Protect everything - done.

Some schematics:

spoiler4.gifspoiler5.gif

Will edit and provide more information/pictures in the next days by editing this post.

Edited by Alonso (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

There's a much easier way without using the ECU or stock switch, if you get some twin-core wire and connect it to the top two spades on the spoiler itself (the big ones) you can run it through the engine bay into the interior through the grommets. From there you can get power from a fuse or the back of the 12 volt plug and connect the wire to the middle spades of a double pole double throw switch with diagonally opposite spades joined. Doing this will allow the motor to run both directions depending on which way you've pressed the switch, as it doesn't use the ECU there's no limitation on when you can put it down or up.

There's a much easier way without using the ECU or stock switch, if you get some twin-core wire and connect it to the top two spades on the spoiler itself (the big ones) you can run it through the engine bay into the interior through the grommets. From there you can get power from a fuse or the back of the 12 volt plug and connect the wire to the middle spades of a double pole double throw switch with diagonally opposite spades joined. Doing this will allow the motor to run both directions depending on which way you've pressed the switch, as it doesn't use the ECU there's no limitation on when you can put it down or up.

/QUOTE]

Have you got yours set up like this?