The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jonny's Supra Revival Project

jonny mac

hey everyone, so yesterday I sold my red mkiv :( planning a family and potential house move means we needed as much money in a pot as we could get so the sensible thing was to get rid of some things we had money tied up in.

image128 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

purchased a supra from an older gentleman who knew exactly what he had and how rare it was but wasn't using it at all and was more than happy to keep it in his driveway, I ended up making him a good offer he couldn't refuse so got the car in the end!

image1 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image2 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

went back before collecting the car and unbolted all the brake calipers and changed the 4 flat wheels over to my 17" staggered turbo wheels so it would roll freely

it was taken on the truck again over to my work and i gave it a wash

image5 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

lifted the car up and surprised to find it's actually really good underneath, a few small areas to clean up, i suppose sitting for years without having salt and rain splashed up against the underbody was a good thing

image6 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the usual fuel tank cover was pulled off and binned

full standard interior, had some alloy pedals on with japanese branding, i've removed them now

image7 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

carmate japan?

image8 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

I will be posting regular updates and I have over 50 pictures to attach today as I've done a serious amount of work so far, big project ahead!

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

started working on the brakes,

-3 out of 4 calipers had to be stripped and cleaned up and greased

-front to rear brake pipes replaced

-discs and pads replaced all round

also threw one in the bin, dead bleeder threads

image9 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

in got the toyota pads on the back and some ebc on the front with ebc discs all round

image23 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

unfortunately from here on my pictures became limited due to changing phones the week i was doing the work

stripped the timing gear off, it was a QH belt so has been changed at some point

image10 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

had to replace

-the hydraulic tensioner

-the tensioner pulley

-the aux belt tensioner unit

-the alternator

all because i wasn't happy with the apperance/workings of them

new dayco timing belt showed up

image12 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image13 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

now that was all done, i turned my attention to the cars chassis

new brake and fuel lines to the rear

image15 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

ground back to bare metal and inspected, etch primed areas that had surface rust

image16 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then it recieved two coats of stone chip gaurd

image17 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then two coats of waxoil to protect the stone chip and waterproof it properly

image18 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

after two evenings of grinding and getting covered in old dust, i finally have one clean body supra :D

found a broken spring on the passenger side rear, toyota said they had discontinued these so i'd managed to find a supplier of supra springs, kyb!

image19 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image20 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

because the car had sat for a long time and the radiator was out for the timing belt change, i took my opportunity to wash out the cooling system

i'd opened up the heater valve inside the car and put two long 16mm hoses onto the matrix pipework and ran a garden hose through them for a few minutes until nothing but clear water came out

i did the same with the engine, removed the thermostat, replaced with new after washing out the engine for around 10 minutes starting at various points flushing the whole system out

image21 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the old one had seen better days, wasn't even going to bother testing it to find out

image22 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

Niceeee... I really liked the red one. Kept looking at it on eBay :lol:

thanks, yeah I was sad to see it go as it was a stunning supra, looked perfect in my opinion

- - - Updated - - -

so the next thing on the list was the fuel system

-new fuel pipes front to rear

-new fuel filter

-drained tank and old fuel from system

-fitted walbro 255lph fuel pump and swapped out hanger for a cleaner one

old fuel pump and hanger removed, walbro 255lph fitted and used a spare hanger from a friends car i had that was in mint condition

image24 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

replaced the fuel filter and fuel pipes, also starter motor if i hadn't mentioned it above

image25 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image26 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

cut up the old fuel filter as i was curious to find out weather it was collapsed or dirty etc

image27 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

not bad

image28 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image29 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

removed some broken bolts for the radiator clamps and battery clamps

image30 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so my turbo wheels required some new tyres, went for toyo 255/40/17 for the rear

image31 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image32 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

done the engine oil filter, also new coolant and a new battery

cranked over until i had oil pressure then turned the key properly and it fired up first time! :D

warmed it up then drained oil and changed filter again and another fresh bottle of oil and filter done, came out clean too which is nice so the engines good

i do have a little missfire/stutter when revving up so i'll be doing the spark plugs and leads when they arrive

thanks lads, yeah it would have been easy to break given the price of w58's etc now, I will be selling the 2jzge and w58 soon anyway as the turbo lump and probably some bmw or 350z box will make it's way in

used the abc kit on my s14 silvia but it's a bit rough for road use as the clutch is savage being a tilton twin plate

I quite like the colins 350z kit and a nice single plate clutch would be good

either that or a pmc kit with the new 1 series diesel box and a sachs clutch

one thing i forgot to mention earler, my headlights were dropped off at the bodyshop and had them cut back and recoated with uv protection laquer and polished

image50 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also got a new set of import plates made up for the car as the old ones were horrible

so now onto some clean up pictures before i put the car for mot test

my mate scotty came over, he was the guy that made such a good job detailing the red car after it was painted

the black car is a completely different story, this wasn't a case of let's make it have a mirror finish and pefect paint etc, it was just a clean up and try to degrease the top layer of the car

the paint is still rough, the guy who had the car sat in his drive for 10 years walked past it every day and has scratched the passenger side completely from end to end

it needs a full respray to be perfect but for now it's good enough as i won't have the cash to throw at this one the same as i did at the red one

image34 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image35 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

two snow foam/degreaser tar remover type soaps used

then two hand washes with various types of heavy dirt removing soap

image33 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

always nice to have my red car nearby for motivation of how good a supra can look

image36 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then onto polishing, it was a full 8 hour session with various combinations of cutting compounds and polishes

image37 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image38 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

50/50 of driver door

image39 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image40 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image41 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so now before the red car goes away to it's new owner, i had to grab some pics of them both, unfortuantely the red car wasn't washed in this picture and the black car didn't have spacers on the wheels or the wheel nut cover caps on either

anyway it's just cool to stand back and at one point be able to i own two supras haha!

image44 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image45 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image46 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image47 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

throwing up the older pictures but this is my 2jz vvti tt aristo engine I plan on fitting

the engine was bought from jdm distro in Ireland and delivered on a pallet to me, it was probably the cleanest 2jz I've seen, no rust on the block at all! the outside was still a grey colour

so I've painted it black to keep it fresh and also currently cleaning up the other parts for fitting like rear sump etc

image51 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image52 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image53 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

I have removed the loom from the engine and have the fun task of trying to extend it all and fit supra plugs to the body side of things

thanks guys, now looking for a massive sheet of plywood so I can make a loom template and build a new loom from for the aristo to work in the mkiv supra shell

I need to find a factory manual n/a pinout diagram and it's hard as they are all auto online!

some more pics to upload tonight when I get home and onto the laptop,

changed the wing repeater lenses to clear, ordered some factory Toyota facelift front indicator and sidelight lenses for the front bumper

changed the rear speakers as they were blown, also waiting to get some front speakers as they're just as bad,

found a new stereo with Bluetooth for phoencalls and microphone so I need to change that out once my adapter lead arrives from ebay as I couldn't be bothered cutting and joining every single wire like I did on the red car

also had the rear windows tinted on Monday by a local tint place, shame I couldn't get the fronts done

took the car to get the rear windows tinted

image54 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image55 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

sorted out 2/4 of the brust speakers, replaced the rear 1/4 speakers with vibe coax units, need to do the fronts next but i want to hide them behind oem grills

image56 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

unfortunately the starter i'd swapped in was still jamming, it was throwing out the arm but not rotating the gear, so i stripped and inspected a spare i had, i greased up all gears and cleaned up all contacts

seems to be working first time every time now :D

image57 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so with some spare time in an evening i decided to work on the vvti engine

new oil baffle plate arrived, along with the brand new strainer

image58 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

took the front sump off

image59 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the engine is seriously clean inside

replaced the o ring for the pickup

image60 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new baffle plate and strainer on

image61 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image62 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

all together

image63 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then oil return flange for twin turbos and engine mount for exh side

image64 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got my spare carpet out of storage and started washing it, the one inside this car is stained so i'll be happy when this one goes in!

image65 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

forgot to grab pics of the clear wing repeaters i've put on, i'll also be splitting my headlights when i get a weekend that i'm not needing to drive the car, i'll be painting the insides like a facelift model again

also going to be doing the timing belt and a few other bits on this engine in the next few days hopefully! i do plan on having it 'finished' on the stand ready to drop into the car once i find a gearbox situation that suits my budget etc

did have a buyer lined up for my 2jzge and w58 setup so i'll need to chase him up and see what's happening, that'll probably just buy a clutch on it's own for a 350z or bmw box haha

If you want to dye the carpet black I have a couple of litres left over from the 5l I bought, mine does look serious better than when it was a grey stained mess.

that's a great idea :D what did you use? also doesn't it run off or stain if you go in the car with wet shoes??

It's like marker pen ink. It does come off if you rub it hard. I could bring mine even over for you to have a look at, a have a nose at your new beast, whilst I am there

aye cool we can work something out :D I'm taking the car off the road for winter in November anyway too

Planning on taking mine off the road as well, want to cleanup the underside and treat all the rust.

good idea, I bought some spare subframes to get powdercoated, will be fitting them eventually, I want my supra to be as clean as my silvia underneath, done a full nut and bolt rebuild on the s14 around 3 years ago, still like new underneath to this day

stripped the headlights apart as they are steaming up inside, whilst resealing i decided to paint the chrome to match a facelift headlamp

image66 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

crank pulley, timing covers, aux belt tensioner and a few other bits stripped off the engine, just waiting on my water pump and gaskets now from toyota

image67 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new belt waiting

image68 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

really happy with the difference the dark headlights have made

my new facelift clear indicators have arrived from toyota now so i'll get them on too once i get a spare evening to do the wiring

image69 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr