The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jonny's Supra Revival Project

jonny mac

moved the engine back into the workshop shed because i decided i've got too much still to do and not enough space at the front of the garage

had one free afternoon last weekend, got the loom onto the engine, few broken plugs i need to change still but nothing major

image142 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then moved onto the gearbox

new toyota main seal and toyota spigot bearing

image143 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image144 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image145 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then the flywheel and arp new bolts

image146 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

clutch assembly mounted inside gearbox

image147 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image148 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

slid box on and bolted clutch up throug inspection holes

fork and slave cylinder on

image149 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

inspection covers on

image150 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image151 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image152 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then onto the radiator brackets

cleaned and painted

image153 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i was planning to buy a cheap radiator to throw in the car and use until i bought a koyo or mishimoto one

went for the cheapest unbranded chinese one i could find on ebay

i was pretty gutted when this turned up though, if i'd known it was japspeed i'd probably not have bought it in the first place,

image154 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

from my older cars and various car parts i've fitted for people i've never had a good experience using their parts,

however i thought i'd give it the benefit of doubt incase it was good

upon removal from the box i noticed it looks like it had been thrown off a cliff

image155 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so i'll cut a long story short, tried to fit it into my car and the feet were miles away from the actual mounts on the lower cross member

the top brackets wouldn't even have been close to the bolt holes on the slam pannel too

it was returned, i got a refund and went out and got something else

luckily my mate had a brand new mishimoto rad for a supra so i got that from him instead and it basicaly falls into place, easily matching the oem radiator fitment

waiting for a nice weather weekend so i can grind down my cross members and cleant them up before engine goes in

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

car has now been moved to the workshop and I'm hoping to have it running within the next week or two

I've got plans to use every lunch hour on it and half an hour after work each day

it'll gradually get closer and closer each day

I had it trailered over here last night and todays lunchbreak was spent removing the headlights, bumper, aircon rad, aircon pipework and clutch master cylinder

pics will be following on now ever few days as I get cracking

one week on and I've been busy!

so the n/a engine is sold and collected

had the car trailered over to my work where we have a spare ramp at the moment, that way i can get an hour lunchtime spent on it every day and half an hour after work each day

sat on some spare r34 gtt wheels with tiny tyres

image156 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so up in the air and removed the air con parts i won't be using

image157 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

tt pas bottle mounted

image158 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

ground back the front cross member with a wire wheel on a grinder, also done the top of the subframe to check for corrosion/holes, all good so etch primed them back up and then went for some black paint

also done the brake servo as it was looking a little rusty where brake fluid had stirpped paint off previously

image159 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

not great pictures but you get the idea

image160 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

my mate made up a pallet with casters and wooden braces to support the engine/box combo on the actual engine mounts, saves squashing sump and oil feed inside it

image161 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then it was time for the engine to go in, still unfinished but didn't have ability to keep it hanging around as workshop floor space is tight

image162 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

done

image163 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

r154 bolted up nicely

image164 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

pas lines adjusted as cooler was removed for fmic fitting, then bled system spinning the pump with a drill and a 17mm socket

image165 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

connected up fuel pipes with 8mm push barb to m12x1.25 fittings in the filter/fuel damper valve on block

mishimoto going in with cooling fan off water pump and the cracked fan shroud, unfortunately had to tie wrap back up the fan shroud but it's better than nothing

image166 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

whifbitz 2nd decat with restrictor ring, mk3 supra front propshaft and shifter in also

image167 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

have a 1st vvti decat coming tomorrow in the mail and hopefully it'll be bolt up solution otherwise i'll be making a new downpipe out of spare pipes

fmic on, brackets made up and braced off the front crash bar too

image168 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image169 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

all black silicone hoses apart from one which will be behind the bumper and is not visible

oil temp and oil pressure sandwich plate ready with new sensors for gauges

image170 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

gearbox filled up with this fancy blue oil, should smoothen out the tractor like shifting of the r154 haha

image171 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

took advantage of the bumper being off and put on the facelift indicators i'd bought from toyota recently with looms

image172 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image173 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

much better

image174 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

job list still huge

off top of my head:

i know there's more than this on my list written down at the workshop

wait for toyota to deliver throttle cable bracket, rear sump dipstick and tube

wait for driftmotion etci-s dbw delete adapter to arrive

fit 1st decat

weld wideband bung onto 2nd decat

wiring loom connect up and also power starter etc

bumper and lights back on

make up air intake pipes with afm

fit aristo ecu to supra footwell

fit clutch master cylinder

make up and bleed clutch pipe at gearbox

fix broken coil pack connectors on loom

matrix pipes to make up and connect

fit carbon cannister back in

swap over wheels

fit return fuel line

vacuum feed for boost gauge

oil pressure and temp gauges mount inside/wire up

vacuum pipework at intake manifold finalised

intake manifold suppport bracket refit

I think overall not bad going considering it has just been lunch hours and one late evening shift

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

thanks for the comments guys :D

today's work

fuel pipe feed pic

image175 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

thanks to paul whiffin at whifbitz for the advice and i bought a supra vvti 1st decat from him, that works perfect with the aristo engine, so no need for custom exhausts

ordered this on thursday 8th feb in the morning and it arrived on friday the 9th in the afternoon :D brilliant!

image176 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image177 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image178 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

pressure tested the intercooler pipework and core from the end at the turbo and the intake manifold, i wanted to make sure none of my pipe joins had leaks etc

i had some bungs made up years ago for my little test kit, it has saved me so many times finding leaks or burst cores, or even hoses that would have blown off at high boost

it's just a few solid metal bungs machined down to and one has a vacuum pipe with tyre valve fitted to add/remove pressure

image179 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image180 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

held fine at just over one bar without dropping, went up to 2 bar just to be safe

image181 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got the bumper back on with facelift indicators in, they need tightened up and wired in though

it's so good seeing a big intercooler behind the bumper :D

need to trim the plastics now and undertrays as the fmic takes up all the space

image182 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

lights wired in up front, sidelight loom extended down to the facelift units, also had new wiring loom from toyota

image183 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got 4 samco 16mm 90* bends from demon tweeks, also some alloy joiners, hopefully will be able to make up matrix pipework tidy enough out of that

image184 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

headlights back in, put in new led bulbs for the projectors so hopefully they work as they were cheap

alot less hassle than installing hid's and no ballasts under the bonnet for mot time etc

image185 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new dipstick, tube and o ring from toyota for the rear sump as it's easier this way than welding brackets onto the front sump dipstick, plus i wasn't sure if it was correct length for setting oil level in engine

image186 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

getting on now! just loads of little jobs still to do, coil pack connector clips, blah blah

image187 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new clutch master cylinder and turbo heat shield from toyota arrived

nothing wrong with old one just a matching a brand new slave cylinder

freshly painted the body of the new one to try prevent alloy corrosion and make it last as long as possible

image188 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image189 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

loctite copper gasket sealant used on decats and also on the restrictor ring plate,

unfortunately there isn't a gasket for the 3" vvti 1st decat so paul at whifbitz said to use this stuff

fingers crossed it holds with the pressure created by the restrictor ring, exhaust leaks really annoy me

image190 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image191 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

trimmed some of the front plastics, still need to trim the undertray to clear the fmic

image192 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

had an 18x1.5 wideband bung welded into the 2nd decat beneath the driver seat position on the car, this is so i can later add a widebang gauge without the hassle of removing exhausts again for welding

this is now plugged with a spare dead o2 sensor i had laying around to keep the hole closed for now until i get a guage

wedled in this positon because any lower and the moisture/water in exhaust kills the sensors

image193 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so the 1st and 2nd whifbitz decat pipes are on

matrix pipes made up, i used 3x90* samco bends and a length of universal heater hose 16mm with a few joins

image204 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

clutch cylinder heat shield now on, i need to get this fitted to the car and bleed the slave cylinder

image205 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

this expensive wee piece of metal arrived from driftmotion in the states, it's a dbw deletion kit which will allow me to actually have a throttle pedal that works

the shipping was ridiculous when you consider the size of it but that's just the way things go when importing parts from the usa

image206 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i realised my air flow meter was wrong, so i posted in the supra chat page on facebook looking for a 2jz vvti afm, i was offered an hks intake system which landed up being exactly what i was looking for

shame it came up just 5 minutes after i'd spent 80 quid on a stock afm and intake pipe haha

so i got straight onto the hks item and paid for it

image207 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image208 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

it'll match my exhaust system now, hks intake and exhaust is quite a nice feature about the car now

i don't know if this is a rare part or not? i'd assume so?

image209 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

had to replace the top silicone joiner with a new samco 76mm as the hks one was split

my last purchase this week was an ecu, i realised my aristo ecu has an immobiliser, so it's not much use for me as i don't have time to run around trying to get it decoded or removoed from ecu etc

so i bought this 5 plug aristo vvti tt ecu from a guy abroad, it should be here monday so i can hopefully fire the car up for the first time once my coil pack connectors are replaced

image210 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

fingers crossed i'll actually get to drive it out the workshop one evening next week without any issues.

put the new clutch master cylinder in, unfortuantely the original male nut on the pipe had a flat thread right at the begining

rather than wreck the new aluminium threads inside the cylinder i decided to make a small joining piece with two brand new nuts on the end

this way it screwed in with ease and had no issues and if it was going to destroy a thread when tightened up it would have only wrecked the female nut on my small copper pipe

worked perfectly and holds pressure with no leaks

image211 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

feed pipe to slave from hose made up and bled clutch system to gain a fully operational pedal

image212 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

rolled outside for the first wash in a while

image213 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

replaced all 3 spark plug connectors and a length of the looms to each one, they had gone brittle and hard with heat causing cracking/green corrosion on a few of the cables

image214 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

ran wires for oil pressure and temp gauge to sensors on the dash

for my own reference here really...ignore this bit

red/black wires going into cab go to gauges, red is oil temp to gauge green input wire, black is oil pressure to gauge green input wire

on oil pressure sensor at sandwich plate, wk stamped is ground, g stamped (tipexed white) is to black wire to gauge green input wire

nearly ready to start

image215 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

renewed the gasket between the turbo oil return Y pipe and the sump, i had used an old one when assembling with some instant gasket, it had a slight damp oil mark around the bottom

was enough for me to take advantage of dry pipes just now before engine was running

old one off, new one in package beneath from toyota

image216 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

tested out reverse light wiring to make sure the new led bulbs worked

image218 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

was waiting for around 10 days for customs to release my aristo ecu

finally got here

image217 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

plugged it in, cranked for oil pressure and checked gauge, all is well then first turn of the key:

delighted

then this happened:

now moved away from the workshop so it's not in the way, it'll be stored for a short while until i can get my insurance and stuff sorted out,

we are down to one wage at the minute as the wifes off work for a few months so it isn't priority to fire alot of money into insurance just now

at least i know it runs sweet, i need to make sure the battery system is charging correctly, i had 12.5v on my multimeter but the battery had sat around for a while and had been cranked for oil pressure checks

image219 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

still got a jobs list to do before it goes on the road

interior:

fuel pump 12v constant mod at ecu boot wires

secure aristo ecu into holder beneath dash

rpm gauge to remove resistor in chip board to work with aristo igniter readings

check batt light wiring

under bonnet:

carbon can hose

boost gauge t piece

tidy up wiring and secure loom

add more earth points

extend gearbox loom so speedo reaches

secure lambda sensor wiring loom

protect coolant top hose against rubbing fan shroud

bleed coolant, check thermostat opens

box propshaft seal replacement

• 3 weeks later...

well insurance is starting on the car next month now so that's pretty exciting :D

done a few small bits over the weekend, led headlight bulbs are now in, whifbitz expansion tank is now in also but that's up the side of the battery now rather than behind the headlight as the bulbs have big cooling units on the back of them

still have a few odd jobs left to finish on the car but it's getting there! I reckon another evening of work and it'll be fully road ready again

then I can start looking at single turbo manifolds and some gtx or precision 6266 goodness :D

• 5 weeks later...

soooooooooooooo

insured it, tomorrow morning is my first drive to work in the car and technically my first road test haha, wish me luck

tomorrow after I finish working i'll be spending some of my afternoon finishing the remaining jobs on the car

connect up the boost guage

change the power source for the oil gauges

connect the gbox speed sensor and reverse switch as that part of the loom is tied up in engine bay

check all the levels again

fit spark plug cover

I need to work out how to fit my boost controller bleed valve with the twins

• 2 weeks later...

so this is a delayed update

bled the coolant properly, ran it up to temp and chcecked all fluid levels

set of led headlight bulbs and 501 sidelight bulbs

image220 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image221 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

back on the road :D it's one week in, i've driven the car gently to bed in the new clutch and so on

loving it!

then the first day out for some road testing after a few jobs were finished

i managed to take a blurry pic...

image222 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so the door speakers had always annoyed me as i knew they needed replaced

bought some of these on ebay, 30 quid and they are 350mm deep which suits the surpa door cards nicely

image223 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image224 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image225 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

finished the vacuum lines and had to get a few extra fittings from demon tweeks, main one i was stuck for was a 8-6mm adapter for the fuel breather

image226 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image227 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

battery system is charging perfectly

the gauges were a good investment, the oil temp sits at a safe 90 degrees and the oil pressure is around 2 bar when warm

image228 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

here's the mileage, this is after 100km running in so just for reference that's the shell mileage during conversion, car still in km's and it'll remain that way

image229 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

water temp also sits bang on where it should

image230 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

delighted :D

image231 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

under the bonnet is also a great place to be now haha

image232 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

this is the oil i run all my cars on, the nissan and the supra both get this stuff

image233 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

• 4 months later...