The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Torque converter test/check

supra87

Hi guys as you may have seen I've had issues with a rattle on me na jap spec auto. we've narrowed it down to the torque converter. ive recently purchased a replacement on here from another member. now before I swap them over is there a way off checking it's working correctly some kind of test ect?

TC's usually work or they don't, and being full of oil are highly unlikely to rattle. I would suspect the flex plate is cracked or loose on the crank, or the TC bolts are not tight. Be sure whoever removes the gearbox understands the TC *MUST MUST MUST* come out on the gearbox, and unbolted from the flex plate. I have seen people think it should be left bolted to the flex plate.... :(

There's every chance the oil pump in the front cover of the gearbox is now damaged, every chance the oil pump seal is knackered, and a good chance the flex plate is now bent or cracked. The TC *ALWAYS* has to be unbolted from the flex plate, via the rubber covered access aperture, then pushed fully into the gearbox before trying to unbolt and remove the box itself. You may even have damaged the TC internally.

Let's clear a few things up maybe I wasn't clear enough.All the tc bolts were removed via the inspection plate when they were first separated nothing is bent nothing has split the gearbox changes gear perfectly nothing leaks.what I'm saying is when the engine and box were split the tc stayed on the engine this wasn't intentionally it's just what happend the box split from the engine with out and struggle both engine and box were out the car when it was split the reason both came out is we thought the rattle was the bottom end bearing so all bearings in the bottom end have been replaced car has been put bk together and is currently driving but I've still got this slight rattle that must be tc related I did a gearbox flush 4 weeks prior to this problem the oil that came out was well over due I'm thinking the new oil has loosened some debris allowing something in the tc to rattle obviously I'm just guessing at this point as I'm running out of ideas??

Sounds like bottom end to me but very hard to tell. Drop the oil out and check it with a magnet for anything untoward would be a simple thing to try first. Is the oil pressure all good? . Flex plate bolts I'm guessing are correctly tightened? This can be checked relatively easily anyway, worth it to be sure.

The bearings that were in the engine would have been ok to put back in but I had them replaced anyway as I'd all ready baught the new bearings before any work had even commenced the noise is I'm 100 percent coming from the gearbox as the rattle disappears when you listen under the engine sump the crank was in perfect condition with no marks at all it wasn't pulled out and measured as the builder did not feel it was necessary and I wanted to keep costs down as much as I can.

I've got a replacement coming from another member of this group it's come off a perfect working car I just want to know if there's a away of checking it before it gets fitted it does say somthing on tsrm about standing it on its end and turning some kind of tool inside I cant work it out hence the start of this thread

With good used auto boxes, torque converters and flex plates freely available at low cost we are not yet at the stage where a rebuilt TC or box is sensible save for somneone doing a cost no object restoration. The auto box is costly to rebuild, as is the TC, but both can be rebuilt should anyone so wish. In the case of the original poster I would just swap in good used items even if visually all seems well, although a flex plate is easily crack tested and able to be checked easily for any deformation.