The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky insurance again...

ShawnPreece

I know there has been multiple threads covering this now but maybe the more that pop up the more they will address the problem.

Until now any comment I had about Sky insurance was always a positive. I had always had brilliant service off them (my usual first contact being a girl named Rose Miller who is always very happy to help and always been great service off her) and they had also always been a great price so when people had been popping up saying about the incredible price jump I was always surprised to see it but iv just had my renewal come through and heres what I got...

Firstly I received this email off them on wednesday 9th August saying that Based on my current details last year my insurance price would of been £680 but the email warns me of price rises...

attachment.php?attachmentid=221812&stc=1&d=1502961954

Then in the post the other day came this letter saying that my renewal premium would be £1160 (more than a 70% increase)

attachment.php?attachmentid=221813&stc=1&d=1502961954

I am in no way knocking the service that I have received from any of the staff at Sky I have always found them to be very helpful but the price I have received from the company I think is terrible. I have just turned 30 years old only last month so was thinking that may be a slight milestone to help out my insurance price aswell as having being with Sky as a loyal customer for a number of years now.

As mentioned in the first paragraph I know there have been other threads stating this same point but I feel the more people bring it up to raise awareness maybe they will look into doing something about it.

1.JPG

2 (2).jpg

To be honest I always ignore my renewal letters and do a quick check online to get a rough idea what my lowest rate is then I call Sky up to see what they can do

That is a crazy amount though lol

I have just insured my Audi with Sky who have done me a cracking deal on it. My Supra has been insured with Sky for 8/9 years now

I took this off Cornmarket insurance's website with regard to how the change in the Ogden rate will affect us

What will it mean for drivers ?

Car insurance premiums will rise substantially in order to fund higher pay-outs to victims of serious accidents, as insurers have to set aside substantially more funding to pay for these larger compensation awards. This change will apply to outstanding claims, as well as claims going forward. Early indications suggest that an average car insurance policy is likely to cost £50 to £75 more each year, whilst young drivers could face up to £1,000 in extra costs.

After a few words with my insurer in June i actually got my policy for less than i paid last year so go figure

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I don't get how people who are fans of cars still don't understand you need to shop around for car insurance each year. Pretty much all companies try this trick. Makes we wonder how much cash they've made out of people simply not doing their research :blink:

The insurance game is changing now though. Telematics boxes are the best way to cut costs.

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you've found our service to be good over the years, as that's something that often gets ignored in the pursuit of the lowest price.

I've not had a chance to look into your policy yet. And where it's true that Ogden is hitting premiums hard, that price increase seems a bit excessive. Have you had a claim or accident in the past 12 months, or made any change to your circumstances?

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you've found our service to be good over the years, as that's something that often gets ignored in the pursuit of the lowest price.

I've not had a chance to look into your policy yet. And where it's true that Ogden is hitting premiums hard, that price increase seems a bit excessive. Have you had a claim or accident in the past 12 months, or made any change to your circumstances?

Cheers,

Alex

A bit excessive :blink:

Hi Shawn,

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.

The email states that based on my current details, last year it would of cost me £680 and the letter gives my quote of £1160 for now so didn't think that would be any reason for the excessive new price would of been calculated in the difference. I will give you a call to go through to details as to why there is such an increase as like I say before im not faulting the company for customer service at all as iv always had great service its just the price increase that I thought was incredibly excessive for a years difference if you are comparing the same circumstances.

I'm with sky and mines gone up by £80 so no where as bad as some but I can't believe insurance companies are allowed to charge so much. Seems like there needs to be more regulation on cost especially as you have to have it. Although I must say that the last 2 years since coming back to sky I've had good customer service

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Iv been with Keith Michaels (https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/) since i was 19 insuring my impreza. Since then then these guys have made renewals effortless, even when prices went up a year ago for me, i shopped around and they still beat the cheapest i could find. when my insurers went into liquidation they called me up urgently and got me new cover. I cant fault them.

Im 30 now and have a totally separate policy on my TT6 from my 330D daily, and its way cheaper than what sky have quoted above. It takes into account the appreciating value of a classic and my mods.

Id give them a call