The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra suddenly running lean

Josh42

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always, ALWAYS, *ALWAYS* get a written agreement that a mapper is going to furnish you with the map before having mapping done. I see this all the time.

As an aside DTA had a disgruntled employee a few years back (at least I think it was a disgruntled employee...) who released the back door password that unlocked all DTA ecu's....

You know, the back door that didn't exist.... ;) Mucho aggravation and legal huffing and puffing...

I'm with you Chris. I tried to ask amicably, I've now been met with aggression so I have flexed the legal muscles too.

The best option is to clear the ECU and get it mapped elsewhere, but that may be compounded by the issue I have at the moment.

My solicitor and CAB seem to believe I'm in terra firma against the sales of goods act/consumer rights act.

Lol that's horse$#@!.

I could understand if we were talking about 2017 F1 ecu secrets, but it's a 2jz. Not like that hasn't been mapped a million times already.

If they wanna play tough then just get them to remote onto your laptop and enable logging, that way they aren't sharing the password.

I wouldn't trust them not to adjust the tune mate. It would worry me them having access to it all over again.

This has been a hot potato for years, see here for example:

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=DbUK43sjPzCdTHZSNeHUY0&topic=5108.0

Made for an interesting read, they also make the point about blocking functionality that the customer has paid for....

Out of interest who did you use to map the car?

They're based in Leicester and not on here mate.

That is not cool :(

Tell me about it[emoji20]

I know who you mean now, hope you get it sorted soon. Really crappy of a company to do that to you.

That is mega sh*tty.

is the company banned from being mentioned on this forum? pm cough

Indeed to both of you:(

Unfortunately, I don't know what to do to investigate this issue any further now until I book in with someone for a map

Lol that's horseshit.

I could understand if we were talking about 2017 F1 ecu secrets, but it's a 2jz. Not like that hasn't been mapped a million times already.

If they wanna play tough then just get them to remote onto your laptop and enable logging, that way they aren't sharing the password.

Agreed

It's hardly secret technology is it! The cars are going extinct. More likely they want to prevent people from looking over their tuning..

Are you and said mapper not on good terms now?

Its not uncommon for maps to be pin protected, mine was the same when it was done by my mapper, however he had no issues giving me the pin when i needed to access my map and in the end left the pin disabled to make it easier for me

For alot of them i guess they want to protect their work and stop someone messing with it potentially harming the car

Its just a shame its blocking simple tasks like data logging

Agreed

It's hardly secret technology is it! The cars are going extinct. More likely they want to prevent people from looking over their tuning..

Tell me about it. The fact that there are so many single Supra's out there, most people's tune will be similar anyway.

Are you and said mapper not on good terms now?

Its not uncommon for maps to be pin protected, mine was the same when it was done by my mapper, however he had no issues giving me the pin when i needed to access my map and in the end left the pin disabled to make it easier for me

For alot of them i guess they want to protect their work and stop someone messing with it potentially harming the car

Its just a shame its blocking simple tasks like data logging

I'm proceeding down the legal route, so I would say not mate[emoji23]

I can understand them locking it in the first place, but to withhold the password is ridiculous. It's not his software on the ECU, has merely entered figures into the preloaded software.

It does sound like a vac leak,

But just out of curiosity are there any electrical issues that seem random ??

Nothing at all really, other than the revs dying when rolling to a junction slowly.

Also, my IACV rattles when the engine is off and ignition is on. Intermittently but you can hear it.

Did the car run sweetly before this issue?

It ran spot on really, prior to this fault developing

I'm proceeding down the legal route, so I would say not mate[emoji23]

I can understand them locking it in the first place, but to withhold the password is ridiculous. It's not his software on the ECU, has merely entered figures into the preloaded software.

Agreed, hope you get it sorted mate :thumbs:

Agreed, hope you get it sorted mate :thumbs:

Cheers mate, fingers crossed

Hmmm,

I think you have a bad earth or possibly a dying battery/alternator

J.

I'll have a look at all the engine earths tomorrow evening, clean them up and reattach. Will feedback, thanks again!

By what you said about the injector leads, i would still say its down partly to that and a vacuum leak, as for the map is there a way to completely reset the ECU and just take it elsewhere to be mapped, the original mappers sound rather pathetic,after all mapping is not rocket science.

That's the plan mate, if they won't provide the password, you can clear the map and start again. I would just like to try and get to the bottom of this issue before sending it somewhere else for them to potentially turn it away.

I've had a smoke test carried out that didn't highlight any leaks, maybe I should try a high pressure test?

I know mate, after all the money I spent with them, their attitude has just been poor and in honesty, down right insulting.

Well,

Bad earths somewhere could even mean the ecu drops sensors early and I think it needs a couple of seconds for the TPS to register after switch off for example, so it could even be an ECU earth as once started the system will find an earth up to a point.

I hate cars lol

Well,

Bad earths somewhere could even mean the ecu drops sensors early and I think it needs a couple of seconds for the TPS to register after switch off for example, so it could even be an ECU earth as once started the system will find an earth up to a point.

I hate cars lol

Got you, I'll need to look to find where the ECU earthing points are, as I'm unsure.

I'll try and video the noise from the IACV tonight so that you know what I mean.

Also, the car only runs lean when warm/the car is restarted.

Definately worth checking battery voltage at rest and charging, and under load with lights on. As mentioned check the earths.

What fuel pump are you running? Whats the cars spec?

I'll get my multimeter on it today mate - cheers.

It's a Walbro 255lph with a permanent 12v feed via resistor

Definately worth checking battery voltage at rest and charging, and under load with lights on. As mentioned check the earths.

What fuel pump are you running? Whats the cars spec?

Car's spec is:

Engine

Refreshed OEM GE block (bored, honed)

86.5mm CP forged pistons

Manley H beam forged rods

ARP studs (mains and rods)

ACL race bearings (Mains and rods)

New OEM 2JZ-GTE oil pump

New OEM water pump

New OEM crank pulley

New OEM Valve Stem Seals

New OEM 2JZ-GE Head gasket

ARP Head studs

NEW OEM gasket/seal kit

Air conditioning delete

Ignition

NGK BKR7EIX Iridium plugs

New OEM distributor cap

New OEM rotor arm

New OEM HT leads

Fuelling

Walbro 255lph Fuel pump

New OEM fuel filter

Fuel pulsation damper bypass hose

Siemens DEKA 650cc Injectors with plug & play harnesses

ECU & Sensors

AEM V2 Standalone ECU

AEM 3.5bar map sensor

AEM UEGO wideband kit

Greddy OLED Electronic Boost Controller

Turbo & Intake

BorgWarner S360 0.88 undivided T4 Flange

Garage Whifbitz 4" Intake

K&N 4" Cone filter

Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm wastegate

Toyosports 3" FMIC core

Custom 2.5" FMIC pipework

Exhaust

3" HKS Hi Power Silent catback exhaust

3" Garage Whifbitz second decat

3" Garage Whifbitz downpipe with flexi section fitted

Garage Whifbitz external screamer pipe

Garage Whifbitz NA-T log manifold

Started looking at Earthing points this morning, all engine earths are fine.

ECU earths will be my next point of call.

Battery/alternator have only recently been replaced mate.

I will also check the fuel pump out, although it would be strange if it was pump related as I'm getting an AFR 11 on boost.

• 2 months later...

Pleased to report, all sorted! Chris @EFI parts mapped the car and the fault has disappeared. We couldn’t find any physical reason for the issue.

It now has closed loop lambda and knock control, drives much better than ever and makes plenty of power.

Happy days!

Pleased to report, all sorted! Chris @EFI parts mapped the car and the fault has disappeared. We couldn’t find any physical reason for the issue.

It now has closed loop lambda and knock control, drives much better than ever and makes plenty of power.

Happy days!

/QUOTE]

Great result, I’d still be annoyed as to why it did it though but then I hate not knowing why something has happened :rlol: