The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear end bottom tidy up - what needs adding

rider

I'm planning a pretty major overhaul of back end underneath early next year and have most of the parts in place:

Second hand TT sub frame with j spec hubs (also with ABS sensors) - I'll have the wheel bearings changed so I know they are going to see me out.

New OE frame diff mount rubbers (I actually bought 2 sets in case I get around to buying a second Supe)

New OE hand brake shoes and springs

New OE tank guard and tank bands.

New OE exhaust hanger (original appears to have been removed by the bespoke exhaust people)

New OE heat shield (original appears to have been removed by the bespoke exhaust people)

New exhaust (got a Nur R on order - arriving around October)

I recon I'll spend about £3k on parts and labour when its all done. Is there anything I've missed that I should get the parts in for like bushes for top mount on diff or others or should I just check condition of everything when the current frame is removed? If anything is recycle quality after it gets swapped out I'll clean it up and put it in the for sale section. There is rust on the tank guard front but I wont know how bad that is till its off and tackled.

A lot of the parts took 6 weeks to get hold of after paying for them! Not an issue seeing the work won't begin for another 10 months.

As Scooter mentioned, worth doing all the brake and fuel lines up to the tank while the rear subframe is off. I can send you late a copy of the full list of parts I done if you like?

I would be interested in this as well so I can start looking at collecting parts for doing mine one day.

Looked into obtaining replacement rear to front fuel pipes (2 of) and brake pipes (2 of) and only 1 of the 4 is listed as still available from Japan with 3 now discontinued. So these are going to have to be fabricated. If anyone knows the od and id of the fuel and brake lines let me know so I can get the correct tubing (non corroding) ordered up.n Also what coupling nuts and bolts are required.

Unless anyone happens to have a set of excellent condition pipes in stock?

Looked into obtaining replacement rear to front fuel pipes (2 of) and brake pipes (2 of) and only 1 of the 4 is listed as still available from Japan with 3 now discontinued. So these are going to have to be fabricated. If anyone knows the od and id of the fuel and brake lines let me know so I can get the correct tubing (non corroding) ordered up.n Also what coupling nuts and bolts are required.

Unless anyone happens to have a set of excellent condition pipes in stock?

Strange, Amayama is showing stock, but I don't know how accurate that is tbh. Mine were ordered in March, so I must have been lucky with stock I guess, maybe ask Tim to check with his Toyota guy?

There are 3 fuel lines by the way, and 2 brake lines:

47326-14040 TUBE, REAR BRAKE, NO.1

47327-14030 TUBE, REAR BRAKE, NO.2

77255-14420 TUBE, FUEL RETURN

77251-14420 TUBE, FUEL MAIN

77262-14070 TUBE, FUEL TANK TO CANISTER, NO.2

You may also want to replace the brake line that goes across to the rear passenger wheel to, I'm betting it will look ok, but could well be blown on the rear you can't see, have a feel. Besides, while you are doing the rest you may as well have that new too to complete the run. Part number:

47328-14030 TUBE, REAR BRAKE, NO.3

I would be tempted to try Steve Manley for these instead of the online sources (that I'm guessing you have tried). These lines are very long and awkward shape for any sort of private/solo importing to be even remotely practical.

Agree with Scooter, go through your local Toyota, as I originally priced them up through Paul at TCB, and he was unwilling to ship them, so I would have had to collect from Cornwall. I understand why as they are quite delicate and don't arrive from Toyota in any form of packaging, just the long pipes with a part number sticker on them. Oh and they will arrive bent out of shape, and will need re-shaping to the correct lines.

I would be tempted to try Steve Manley for these instead of the online sources (that I'm guessing you have tried). These lines are very long and awkward shape for any sort of private/solo importing to be even remotely practical.

I have had a quote for the lines from SM and asked that he verify all the parts are available before I pay money over as I cannot see the point in mix match self fabricated to OE, that'd just look not quite right so I'd rather fabricate the lot or none. I haven't heard back from Steve so I'm assuming he is too busy or its an no go. I checked US sites where one of the brake pipes was listed as discontinued and Amayama yesterday where three were down as no longer available.

Pipe bending is a skill, I have lots of time and fine sand to fill the pipes with so you never know. Could become a cottage industry.

Well I've just checked Amayama and only 1 out of the 6 is not showing up with stock, the rest look fine.

As I say, your best bet is your local Toyota, or Tim as he's not that far from you. I personally hate the look of copper or kunifer brake lines, just looks home made and bodged to me, but I'm odd like that :/

Sounds like a lot of effort fabricating your own lines and you need a decent quality pipe flare kit too not a cheap jobby. I did these on an old 1982 Morris Ital and it really is extremely time consuming.

Best bet is to get a decent second hand set if you can't get new. If not corroded you could future proof them.

When I get them off I'll have a look see if its something I will tackle or get one of the local garages to fabricate the pipes. If I do them myself and they look decent I'll take a picture or two. If they look shit, of course I won't :). I re-veneered an entire dash, how hard can measuring up and bending a few pipes be? Still looking out for the fuel pipe sizes, the main fuel line seems to be 3/8th (AN6) but haven't found anything on the od of the return fuel line. Guess I'll put up all the measurements on the 15 year old lines corroded sticky when its all done because lots of people are going to have to end up making their own.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Don't some of the single turbo builds have flexible braided hoses from front to back? Costly but user/fitment friendly?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?141756-fuel-lines&highlight=braided+fuel+hose

I looked at this option too, but the cost can really ramp up with all the fittings, and also the chassis has to be drilled too to allow for the larger diameter pipes, so I went OEM.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

Don't some of the single turbo builds have flexible braided hoses from front to back? Costly but user/fitment friendly?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?141756-fuel-lines&highlight=braided+fuel+hose

Yes I have a fully custom fuel setup and lines (off Lucs old car) and it ain't cheap.

Can't imagine you can do this with brake lines though!

Just had SM come back and he recons he has scoured the Earth and sourced me a complete set of the 4 main fuel and brake lines. So I won't get to try my bending skills beyond the smaller brake pipe across the rear that I'll replace. Anyone thinking of doing this job sometime soon with OE pipework better look at ordering just about now.

Just had SM come back and he recons he has scoured the Earth and sourced me a complete set of the 4 main fuel and brake lines. So I won't get to try my bending skills beyond the smaller brake pipe across the rear that I'll replace. Anyone thinking of doing this job sometime soon with OE pipework better look at ordering just about now.

You've forgotten a fuel line Rider.