The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smokey when cold

Fulcrum2000

Hi All

Ever since I've owned my 93 JDM TT its been smokey when cold, then when its fully warmed up the smoke pretty much entirely disappears. It's not condensation, and knowing what we know about the Supe its going to be needing new valve seals. Does anyone have experience of having this done and what the cost should be? There's no other issues with it and its fine when running and warm and not causing any damage but it is a touch embarrassing and will ultimately lead to problems I'm sure. I know the parts arent too dear but labour is going to be a swine.

There's 3 ways of doing them, head off then check the guides seats etc at the same time and do a complete head re fresh, the other ways are the indian rope trick or the compressed air route.

Did mine using compressed air and it took approx 10 hrs from start to finish which is i'd have thought the cheapest way to do it but

not possibly the best depending on what the guides and seats are like which you wont really know unless you take the head off

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Either way it's quite a big job. Far easier to do with the head off the engine, but then you need to factory in the cost of new headgasket and head bolts.

Cheaper to do it using string/compressed air. Price wise, you are looking at either £150 for new oem seals, or about £30-50 if you go with Supertech or Ferrea aftermarket seals.

Then for labour, you will probably be looking at a minimum of £500. I've done it for cheaper for mates rates, but most garages will be £500 or more if I had to make an educated guess.