The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Value of rebuilt UK spec front calipers.. is it worth it for me?

HarleyFDMD

Im looking for abit of advice regarding my brakes please.

Namely what is the value of a set of rebuilt UK front calipers?

Last year i bought these and rebuilt them myself, i stripped them and had them shot blasted before rebuilding them with Chris Wilson stainless pistons, oem seal/boot kit including the tiny seal that goes between the two halves of the caliper, new oem pins and pad retainers and them hammerited them gold with new stickers.

Pads are blueprint

Discs are drilled M-tec

Only seen about 1000 miles.

I have been eyeing up a set of K sports as a replacement and would also like to know how they would compare?

How much more stopping power am i going to get? Is it a night and day difference?

Rebuilding the UKs was pretty bloody costly in the end (almost the cost of a set of K sports) and so i dont want to just throw money away.

I put my refurbed ones up for £600 mate a while back but decided against selling them as for daily use and fast road driving the UKs are great. K-Sports are amazing though and bite hard but not sure they're worth an extra £500 plus over UKs unless you're running track days etc.

I put my refurbed ones up for £600 mate a while back but decided against selling them as for daily use and fast road driving the UKs are great. K-Sports are amazing though and bite hard but not sure they're worth an extra £500 plus over UKs unless you're running track days etc.

/QUOTE]

Yeah i remember you advertised yours, you had bought some APs hadn't you but they wouldnt fit nicely behind your CCWs??

I do like the UKs but i want something that bites abit harder like you've mentioned, i dont always feel totally satisfied with them.

I think it perhaps has something to do with my job.. working as a technician for a main dealer i am always in and out of brand new cars with brand new super sharp breaks... then once i get in the supra i just feel abit underwhelmed

IMO you need to try them with a decent uprated pad, blueprint is fine per se but for bite and extra performance you need to upgrade, I'd do this before giving up on them.

You can also remove all the anti squeal and backing plates from the pads for better feel.

So it cost you 1k to refurbish the front calipers?

I have a set of front UK calipers 1 of the Pistons is slightly sticking (all pistons were pumped nearly out)

I was going to ask £300 for them.

I think Sheefa is right at £600 for yours.

No it wasnt £1000 to just refurbish them.

It was about £900 to buy them, refurbish them and then buy discs and pads.

If someone offered £600 for mine then id sell them, i had that figure in mind too but didnt want to get laughed at if people thought i had over valued them

A pair of 4 piston UK spec calipers can be bought brand new for under £800 !

The 2 piston rears £700 for the pair, brand new !

And i bet if i tried i could get them cheaper than that

When was the last time you looked Dunk? Not checked with Toyota since I bought mine 2 years ago, but Whifbitz currently list them at around £1850, and that's a 'special' price.

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/brake-parts/big-brake-kits.html

When was the last time you looked Dunk? Not checked with Toyota since I bought mine 2 years ago, but Whifbitz currently list them at around £1850, and that's a 'special' price.

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/brake-parts/big-brake-kits.html

Yesterday :)

Whifbitz sell the calipers separately, if you scroll down the page they're listed after the seal kits

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/brake-parts.html?p=2

The K sports look better value though and definitely look better and weigh less

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)