The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone here use a CARCOON garage?

Jamesy

I haven't had the time to swap my cars in and out of mine yet (as I did promise and will post pics of the mkiv in there when I do) but unzipped it enough to climb inside mine at the week end to take a look how well preserved my Mkiii Supra has faired whist stored in the Carcoon (it did instantly deflate onto the roof as I had to zip it up from the inside with me inside but within a minute or so it was back up to normal with me inside).

The car was exactly as I put it in at the beginning of December last year no dust corrosion on the discs etc.

I cannot stress how impressed in am!

Although I would like to see a drive in/out one that remains more like a tent.

I cannot comment on the life span but would expect a good few years at the price charged.

I think the filters have to be changed on a 12 month basis (they are only a few £'s)

Hi mate don't spose you had time to take any pics and test time yet?

I was going to go for a size 4 but on reflection it literally only gives 20cm distance clearance - that's 10cm front and 10cm back. Seems to be that 1. its going to make it harder to drive on and line up, and 2. more chance of it rubbing against the front and back bumpers over time.

The size 5 is an extra 35cm giving you 55cm car clearance - 27cm front and rear, seems much better......

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Did you guys , get one in the end ?

Looking at getting one

Yep. It's been up since around August and I've been very impressed with it. Aside from the snow collapsing it as you'd expect. It's relatively sheltered away from wind where it is so I've not had concerns in storms. I sprayed UV protector (designed for boats) the other day as it will get sun bleached eventually and this should help prevent that.

The car looks great every time I take it out.

Taking it in and out Pete , is it a PITA? Does it take up much room , it will be on the driveway in a housing estate ; I am more concerned its an eye sore and attracts unwanted attention

In terms of powering it , I read they come with a trickle charger for your car battery , you place the Carcoon Transformer in the Carccon to keep out of the elements ; I presume you run an extension lead to a plug socket ; how do you protect the power unit from the elements?

Taking it in and out Pete , is it a PITA? Does it take up much room , it will be on the driveway in a housing estate ; I am more concerned its an eye sore and attracts unwanted attention

In terms of powering it , I read they come with a trickle charger for your car battery , you place the Carcoon Transformer in the Carccon to keep out of the elements ; I presume you run an extension lead to a plug socket ; how do you protect the power unit from the elements?

It's not a huge PITA. There's a zip all the way around at floor level. It easier if there's two of you an no wind when putting it over the car, but it's not a big deal for one either. I just prefer not to drag it over the paint if I can avoid it. It helps if you can store the thing easily somewhere without having to fold it up too much whilst you're out in the car. Mine fits fine in the garage with the Tiger. The base slides under the car, the top next to it. I should add that I rarely go out in the Supra nowadays which is maybe why I find it easy to live with, but I do regularly uncover it to do the odd job, start it up etc.

Yes it looks very obvious outside the house, but we live in a quiet cul-de-sac and it's stepped back out view of the neighbours. It is fairly large when it's puffed out as you'd expect. I guess it does look odd to anyone that happens to visit. Not sure how I'd feel about it if I lived in a busy town - I suspect some to$$er would slash it for kicks depending where you live.

I use one of those intelligent chargers on mine, not the one that it comes with so can't vouch for that, but the two fans work away quietly on the PSU by roll up extension lead. It's in front of the garage so comes out under the garage door. The power sits inside the Carcoon so it's not in the elements.

They are great for dry dust free storage but I wouldn’t like to be using mine like a garage as it’s around a 20/30min job to take it out and get another car in. They are bulky when not I use too even the box they come in is large enough.

Snow kills them too!

If you have room I would put the money towards a garage (even a concrete section one) if it’s for regular use but that’s my personal opinion.