The mkiv Supra Owners Club

CCW or Work wheel advice

bayside_supra

I am thinking about investing/indulging in an expensive set of wheels. I always wanted CCW LM20s as I prefer them to Classics, the price of these seems a little bit ridiculous at the moment at nearly £1000 a wheel once you factor in shipping etc.

Having never bought a new, expensive set of wheels before I'm hoping you guys can help me out before I spend a few quid on these. I still want something high end like CCW rather than replicas but with a similar look.

I've been looking at alternatives and have seen Work Meister M1 but I've not seen a Supra with these anywhere online. They seem to be around 25% cheaper then CCW which is about as high as I want to go. Any idea why no one else seems to have them?

Are there any other alternatives of similar quality for any less money? Are Driftworks the only place that sell Work wheels? I've emailed them twice now and heard nothing back.

I'm going with 18" and as wide as possible. Once I've decided on the brand and finish I'm hoping you guys can help with the usual offset, width and tyre questions.

This is the car now and below the look I'm going for.

Any advice will be massively appreciated, thanks people [emoji3]

I'd go with the works. Something abit different than the ccw's

I was thinking the same.

The vsxx are really nice I will look into those, I still think the M1s have the edge though.

The forged CCW sounds like a good reason for the increased price.

Are Driftworks the only supplier for Work wheels? I've still had no response from them

I think I have decided on the Work M1s.

To have a good choice of tyres I think a 295/30 r18 on the rear and a 265/35 r18 on the front.

To run these tyre widths am I best off going for 11j rear and 9.5j front?

If so, can you guys please advise on the offsets I should be buying for a nice flush fit with stock arches? As this is the part I cannot get my head around.

They are extremely wide tyres you are trying to fit , not something I think you will get away with stock arches , common sizes to run are 245/255 upfront / 275/285 rear

Nic was running 18x9 +32 245/40R18 and 18x10+32 285/35R18, the wheels sit almost flush with the stock wheel arches, the arches needed slightly rolling so the tyres wouldn't catch.

Rim width Minimum tyre width Ideal tyre width Maximum tyre width

5,0 Inches 155 mm 165 or 175 mm 185 mm

5,5 Inches 165 mm 175 or 185 mm 195 mm

6,0 Inches 175 mm 185 or 195 mm 205 mm

6,5 Inches 185 mm 195 or 205 mm 215 mm

7,0 Inches 195 mm 205 or 215 mm 225 mm

7,5 Inches 205 mm 215 or 225 mm 235 mm

8,0 Inches 215 mm 225 or 235 mm 245 mm

8,5 Inches 225 mm 235 or 245 mm 255 mm

9,0 Inches 235 mm 245 or 255 mm 265 mm

9,5 Inches 245 mm 255 or 265 mm 275 mm

10,0 Inches 255 mm 265 or 275 mm 285 mm

10,5 Inches 265 mm 275 or 285 mm 295 mm

11,0 Inches 275 mm 285 or 295 mm 305 mm

11,5 Inches 285 mm 295 or 305 mm 315 mm

12,0 Inches 295 mm 305 or 315 mm 325 mm

12,5 Inches 305 mm 315 or 325 mm 335 mm

Why do you want to run such large tyres, is it for grip due to high power or just for looks? Fuel consumption , tyre cost , road noise, suspension geometry , scrub radius , load on bearings will all be affected and even more so with a wider tyre

Even running a 275/285 rear is up there with ridiculous , if getting down the power is an issue , I would be looking at drag radials rather than going stupid road tyre widths

If you are happy to go for it

Jamsey on here had a nice aggressive setup on his silver Supra with rolled arches

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=3872

18" SSR SP1 Alloys - Front: 18x9.5 et25, Rear: 18x11 et24 - 5" rear dish

Michelin Sport Tyres Front (245/40/18)

Michelin Sport Tyres Rear (315/30/18)

Jot_ie thanks for the specs and pics, that's the sort of sizes I was thinking.

I want to run wide tyres for as much grip as possible, after the single conversion my traction control is working overtime lol. I also like the look.

I'm not too worried about running costs as it's not my daily car. Jamseys wheels are also really nice.

Any other suggestions for suppliers of Work wheels that I should consider?

Best advise.

Go with a company used to selling wheels to the supra community.

You will spend a little more but worth it. You really don't want to be worrying if your 2-4K wheels will fit or not.

Tried and trusted is the way to go.

Also do remember that offset does not guarantee caliper clearance. This is to do with face design more-so.

Work offer a number of different face designs to clear bigger calipers .... ask the supplier.

You don't want to be running spacers if possible and definitely not on custom offset wheels, where the offset has been optimised for a flush stance.

Will just end up pushing them out further.

Also do remember, the wider wheels require bigger offsets, but go to big and you run the risk of them rubbing off springs and body parts.

Do the research, make the phone calls, and be prepared for anything up to a 3 -4 month delivery time.

Thanks for the advice. Driftworks have started communicating with me now, so hopefully they can help. I'll try jdmdistro as well. If anyone know anyone else please let me know.

Good point about the calipers.

I think the choice is going to be the Work M1s in 18x11 & 18x9.5

Just gotta get the offsets right and make sure they clear the brakes.

• 4 weeks later...

I have LM20's on mine, taken me a while to get used to the new look but I love them now

I have 10.5 ET44 fronts and 11.5 et50 rears

You do get badly hit with import tax which is the real killer

I was looking at the Works M1's too but for the money I was paying for them id rather get what I really want then settle for something similar .. I could find a Supra with M1's on at the time but interested to see how they look

This colour combo will look really good on yours !