The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Attempted theft - keep an eye on your Supra

el_bandido

I've had someone attempt to nick mine this week, even though it's parked in (and remains parked in unless I'm using it) on a driveway and it's far from a shining example. I thought I'd post the pattern of behaviour, so if anyone sees the early stages happening to their car, protective measures can be taken before anything happens.

I'm in Northamptonshire and this was the following course of events:

Thursday lunch time - one of my family catches someone parking up behind the hedge in front of our house, getting out and taking a photo of my car while it's on the drive, then driving off. I've got the reg of this vehicle but it probably wouldn't stand up in court.

Thursday midnight - I'm sat on my laptop working late and hear what sounds like a car door handle (the sound it makes when you didn't know it was locked and give it a proper yank expecting it to open). I think nothing of it, until it happens again twice in rapid succession; I subsequently poke my head out of the window overlooking the drive to see what the hell is going on, the proximity light is on but no-one is to be see. The window makes quite a clatter when it unlocks and opens, so I probably scared them off.

Last night -Went outside after dark and noticed the interior and footwell lights were on in the Supra (set to door). Someone had clearly attempted to yank the passenger side door open enough to set the door sensor off; lights went back off again after I unlocked it and slammed the passenger door.

If anyone happens to notice someone taking photos of their car in this manner, I suggest you take measures to secure your car immediately, as they came back the very same day. Fortunately there doesn't appear to be any damage to the Supra, but if I hadn't been awake at the right time, there may well have been. I'll be investing in a CCTV system this weekend and will post any relevant updates should I catch them at it again.

Not good mate! Thanks for the heads up. As these cars are slowly increasing in value I can only see this getting worse! I have cctv all round my property which is constantly recording. I bought some cheap camera from Amazon which are very good quality, a little bit of a faf to set up but once up and running work well. My supe has a Clifford alarm with proximity sensor and a knock sensor. If you had this fitted you would have known whether anybody was near your car let alone touching it. I would highly recommend it.

A worrying trend.

If anyone does have registrations of vehicles it's worth reporting these to the Police. I'm not suggesting any immediate action will be taken but it starts to build a profile.

Should someone eventually be caught doing something more significant this kind of information can prove invaluable to justifying police intervention by showing a pattern of behaviour.

Sorry to hear that mate, anything to make the car a deterant will help. Cctv and cctv signs will always make it harder or appear harder to steal so well worth doing. Supras are rare and valuable in any condition so they will have targeted it but anything that makes it more difficult will assist you in getting them to go onto an easier target. I had an rx7 and live in the country and was constantly worried until we re-did the drive in deep gravel. It all helps.

Now the rx7 is sold and im on the hunt for a supra!!

Sorry to hear this mate and thanks for posting up.

Mine is protected by Cctv, stored in garage, alarmed garage, syvecs anti-theft mode. Not much else I can do !

/QUOTE]

That's good, didn't know syvecs s had anti theft mode

Is a big worry for all of us, I also have a bike which I worry about as bikes are easy to nick ... though I do have iron gates to get past and have to move another car as well to get to the bike

You could also take the battery out and leave it in the shed lol

I get people stop and take pictures of my car quiet often hard to know if it's people the just like it or planning on taking it. Got alarm immobiliser kept on drive wen I use it or in alarmed lock up when I'm not. When I put my syvecs anti-theft mode on don't seem like it does any thing ?

Recently near me 2 cars have been car jacked, not sure how you can defend against that

Agreed, depends what you have in the car with you and whether you decide to take the chance in fighting back I guess. I don't know how I would react to be honest.

Recently near me 2 cars have been car jacked, not sure how you can defend against that

Car alarm or tracker system with remote engine kill. I've seen a few with this option although they were in the states but surely there are some available here ?