The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Applying for planning permission.

jamesmark

Has anyone got any dealings in this?

Bit of background, the wife's grandfather passed away last year and his property sits in a fair bit of land, not talking acres but if done right could fit a good few new builds on it or numerous flats. As the property sits, it has a large 3 bed bungalow on it 2 very large double garages, they all would probably get demolished and rebuilt as they do need some areas worked on and is single brick as it is old.

So silly question and tried searching the planning portal, do you need plans to get planning permission?

What are costs in getting plans? Is it as simple as paying an architect many many pounds to come up with plans to submit to planning dept. What else is there? We do not think there will be issues getting permission as the land sits in heart of a village with new builds.

What are timescales?

That being said property is worth in region of £400k on a really good day as it currently stands with no planning permission. How much as a guess does planning add? I know that is an open question as it will be based on what is finally planned. But if it may only add £50k and planning fees come in at say £25k then it might not be worth the hassle and wait.

We we still have to get the property valued properly for all aspects as we had valuation done quickly for probate.

The intention is to sell the property with planning and the estate gets split 2 ways. My wife obviously would rather her and her family benefit rather than some developer by selling it for the max they can get.

when i had my garage extended i could of done it myself , but lucky for me i have a mate whos an architect , he drew up the plans , and submitted them , but what he has is the contacts with the council he knows the people that make the decisions , and for a couple of hundred it was all ok , one dickhead of a neighbour tried to stop me doing it , but the council rejected his objection , so its worth doing it properly.

also doing it properly they will assess whether or not you can build flats on the land access and all that will come into it , so what you plan on doing is important .it has to fit in and around ,not just your land .

once my plans were aproved i think i had 2 years to start the work or id have tore apply , but im in wales so it might be different for you.

Cheers Peter, the property in question is in Melling, Merseyside.

Litterally we will not be building a thing, only getting planning permission in order to then sell on, as selling it with planning permission will (should) ultimately be worth more than selling it as is.

Its all very straightforward but one thing to remember is you are dealing with council employees.

You can either go for outline planning or full planning with aspect and detailed architect plans. You'll presumably be looking at outline seeing you have no intention to build yourself. The first thing to check out is the council online planning portal for other construction applied for in the local area. Any will give you precedence either for rejection or acceptance. Obviously its much more use to have precedence where similar developments in the area have been granted. Look at any objections or comments or restriction and that will tell you what locals and the council planners will agree to and wont agree to.

When I put in my original double two storey garage the architect oversized the plans by 25% on the length. Such that it wouldn't actually then fit where the planned build was going to be sited. Architect knew what he was doing, because he had a shed load of experience of dealing with the local planners, as they cut the size down to what we actually wanted and what would fit where it was supposed to fit.

But before you bother getting plans drawn up, filling out forms and sending them in with a cheque do the due diligence on planning history in the area first.