The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Starting an engine that's been sat for a while...

gordy.r

Hypothetically, lets just say I happened to have a UK spec Toyota Supra TT auto that had been sat for something like 10-12 years and hadn't been driven, are there any dangers in turning the engine over? Will it need hand cranked before hand etc?

Obviously a full oil change and service would be on the cards prior to doing anything...if I did have such a conundrum...

Any advice welcomed.

I would drain the oil.

Replace the oil.

Lubricate the top end by hand.

Put some engine oil into the cylinders.

Turn by hand lots of times.

Suck out the excess oil that you have inserted i to the bores.

Start it up.

I would also like some info on this. The car has been sat in the garage for over 5 years now. The cam covers and upper water elbow were removed to replace other parts and that's how it's been left until now. Is there any danger with just trying to fire it up? Or should I turn it over without a spark? Any info would be very much appreciated.

I would also like some info on this. The car has been sat in the garage for over 5 years now. The cam covers and upper water elbow were removed to replace other parts and that's how it's been left until now. Is there any danger with just trying to fire it up? Or should I turn it over without a spark? Any info would be very much appreciated.

You need to get yours done mate! You're on my doorstep yet I've never seen your car[emoji17]

Assuming it has coolant in it and it has not leaked away. Take the plugs out, check it rotates by hand with a socket on the front damper bolt. If it does put a bit of engine oil down each bore, and spin on the starter for about 5 or 10 seconds and ensure the oil light goes out. Spin again after giving the starter a cooling off moment until it does go out. Fit plugs after mopping up any oil that's been pumped out of the plug `oles. Fire it up and warm it up checking for water or oil leaks. Hope the brakes haven't seized on, or the clutch if it's a manual. It should start fine on 10 year old fuel, but I would avoid any hard running or boost until it has fresh in it.

Feeling brave and idle? Just jump it and see if it fires up.

You need to get yours done mate! You're on my doorstep yet I've never seen your car[emoji17]

/QUOTE]

I know Josh, it's been in the garage years more than it was meant to, never seem to have the time to work on it or find the motivation to get it running.

I know Josh, it's been in the garage years more than it was meant to, never seem to have the time to work on it or find the motivation to get it running.

It always seems to be the way with these things mate.

But in all seriousness, if there's anything I can even do to lend a hand, I'm more than happy to do so:thumbs:

Would be great to get her out.

Yeah I really need to get her out again...

Cheers for the offer Josh, I'm hoping I don't have any major issues with getting it fired up and out the garage, then it needs some serious attention to the rest of the car, pretty sure suspension and brakes will be shot, new tyres and a complete fluid change will be needed aswell.

Guest Budz86
Cheers Chris, is there any real danger of causing alt of damage by just firing it up? As you've already mentioned my next headache is tyres, brakes, suspension and possibly clutch issues.

There is if something is seized. Personally, I'd follow that list Chris posted. Get it running first, check for leaks and take it for a short drive to make sure nothing is seized, no boost or anything. If it is, get it back and in the air and go over the brakes, suspension, tyres and give it a full service. Should be good to go then with fresh fuel.

If mine has been sitting for a few weeks or more I always pull the EFI fuse and crank for about 20 sec just to circulate the black stuff then

Lol sorry for the thread hijack gordy.

I will give Chris's way a go and check it's not seized before firing it up properly.

This is only to get the car out the garage for now, once it's out I intend to completely replace the suspension and brakes including discs, pads, calipers and lines. I'll have a complete fluid refresh and change both the cam and fan belt and plugs. Just hope it starts ok.

Lol sorry for the thread hijack gordy.

I will give Chris's way a go and check it's not seized before firing it up properly.

This is only to get the car out the garage for now, once it's out I intend to completely replace the suspension and brakes including discs, pads, calipers and lines. I'll have a complete fluid refresh and change both the cam and fan belt and plugs. Just hope it starts ok.

No worries at all, best of luck and I hope you get it going again and it all goes smoothly for you :thumbs:

• 3 months later...