The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heip with changing rear shocks

dash

thanks for all the advice/tips gents.i have just changed the damper and reused the stock spring.I have unbolted the drop link, and the strut is fastened down with the 3 top bolts.i just cant figure out for the life of me how to lower the hub, line the strut up and push the bolt through with one pair of hands.

Leave the top mount nuts off until you get the lower bolt through. I am fortunate to do this on a ramp, but I have done a few on the ground. You should have left the drop link in place, the ARB is a perfect place to put the bar with one end under the subframe and lever down with your knee. It needs the link there to transfer the force to the lower arm. You need both rear wheels off the ground with the ARB connected though

Ah so your knee is your third hand. I thought removing the drop link was supposed to help. shows you cant buy experience.Both wheels are off the floor, so will reconnect the drop link tomorrow and try again. Cheers gents for all your advice, much appreciated.

Finally got these changed, thanks for all the advice, especially chris' about keeping the arb connected and using it as a lever, worked a treat.I did put the strut bolts in from the wrong side,just wondering if it makes any difference.

ah thats good, did them up to torque so hopefully tight enough. cheers again chris. Was just goiong to ask if its the same process for the fronts regarding the arb,had built a bit of confidence to attempt the fronts. now thats shattered.:(

I would suggest you take the inner pin right out for the top wishbones and be VERY careful to not put ANY strain on the ABS sensor wire. I do not advise trying to remove the sensors from the uprights, they are probably seized in, instead, if you wish to avoid the risk of strain, disconnect them at their plugs and sockets just behind the arch liners. You can often get lowered coil overs in and out without taking the inner wishbone pivots out, but stock are a real pain,

Sounds like loads of fun;).Read about taking the top pin out.and will do as you say with the abs wires.Bit late for lowewred coilovers now, ive put the bilsteins on the rear, after reading your posts recommending them:innocent:

• 1 year later...