The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why on earth would you buy a Supra?

marc_p

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone pass the popcorn :Popcorn:

Alex_gt has now removed his post, shame, I was hoping for some sort of witty come back to my rebuttal, I'm just glad I managed to quote it beforehand :D

Anyways, I was hoping someone would post that is a new buyer that's purchased a TT6 at their new inflated prices, I'm not saying they shouldn't buy one, I'm just interested to know where this demand is coming from, most who have replied bought their cars in the days when (bar singles) all Supras were mainly going for less than £10k

Its about what you like... If you like one brand and blend of tea then you stick with it despite other people saying there are "better" brands/blends on the market, yeah you may dabble from time to time but at the end of the day you end up going to the same brand you started with.

Same thing with cars...

If you like a particular blend of features (looks, power, blah, blah) then you will stick with it.

Just because there are "better" cars on the market does not mean someone or you will like that "blend" of car for long or ever.

I personally think the GTR is soulless, heavy and boring to drive, the power is fun but then it gets old real quick. I like raw fast cars.

The Supra is older and therefore more raw and hard to drive quickly and gives you much better sense of achievement when driving quickly.

My Track Supra is the rawest car I have ever driven and I love it, hell it does not even have a brake servo... (that's lots of fun on circuits with cold brakes).

Yeah, but is yours doesn't even have the engine in its original place :D, my question to you would be, would you buy it again if you were buying a standard car for nigh on £20k?

Depends on what you use the car for really.

I have an amazing company car with 390bhp and 768nm torque and 4wd. Plenty of power and so nice and refined with all the mod cons. It's amazing and perfect for daily use.

I contrast that to the supra and I often come out feeling knackered after a run in the supra for all the right reasons. Your senses are alive, you're often driving on the edge, the sound and harshness of boost is epic and the whole experience is exhilarating for not a great deal of outlay in cost.

They are chalk and cheese. For every day use I would choose the BMW or another similar model every time. BUT for all out thrills and a true mental and unmatchable driving experience it's the Supra.

Depends on what you use the car for really.

I have an amazing company car with 390bhp and 768nm torque and 4wd. Plenty of power and so nice and refined with all the mod cons. It's amazing and perfect for daily use.

I contrast that to the supra and I often come out feeling knackered after a run in the supra for all the right reasons. Your senses are alive, you're often driving on the edge, the sound and harshness of boost is epic and the whole experience is exhilarating for not a great deal of outlay in cost.

They are chalk and cheese. For every day use I would choose the BMW or another similar model every time. BUT for all out thrills and a true mental and unmatchable driving experience it's the Supra.

/QUOTE]

335D/535D xdrive per chance? Those things really are a torque monster, went out in a remapped 335D and Jesus that thing pulled!

One thing I will never get , the current price an R34 GTR commands , WTF , 70K

Even as a die hard Supra fan, even if the car had all the bells and whistles , not a chance I would pay it! Crazy!

Within Ireland , VRT tax commanded on a new car or anything with a bit of power ; 1990's Jap car makes sense for performance , build quality, Condition 2nd hand JDM cars for a reasonably affordable price

New M5, GTR RS6 here starts at 130K to 180K with some extra's, annual Motortax 2100

New M4 ex-extras 120K

One thing I will never get , the current price an R34 GTR commands , WTF , 70K

Even as a die hard Supra fan, even if the car had all the bells and whistles , not a chance I would pay it! Crazy!

Within Ireland , VRT tax commanded on a new car or anything with a bit of power ; 1990's Jap car makes sense for performance , build quality, Condition 2nd hand JDM cars for a reasonably affordable price

New M5, GTR RS6 here starts at 130K to 180K with some extra's, annual Motortax 2100

New M4 ex-extras 120K

R34 prices are just crazy, I have no idea why people pay that much, always preferred a midnight purple 33 GTR anyway, especially now they are a fraction of the price.

I bought all 3 Supras because they are iconic. Great to look at even 24 years after they first came out - they set the benchmark by which all other JDM and tunable cars were and still are judged. As JamieP said, £ for lbft, nothing much else comes close that entertains, has some soul and actually requires you to drive it. Yes you could have far newer, more powerful cars but as many will testify, they lack soul, driver feel and involvement. They're a 90s poster car and whilst I would love to own a 997 I can never see myself selling the Supra - it's a part of me. he 997 I would have and would have no qualms about selling. And that's one of its defining qualities, it's a car you can have a 'relationship' with for all it's 90s foibles and age-related quirks, it's a car that generates passion. And it becomes part of you.

Alex_gt has now removed his post, shame, I was hoping for some sort of witty come back to my rebuttal, I'm just glad I managed to quote it beforehand :D

It was not removed by me. It's not about witty comebacks, I stand by what I said.

I am not liked here, I know that. If you have opinions that don't conform, you will be outcast.

I get annoyed that people don't seem to realise that not everyone has money to throw away left right and centre on cars. I don't think this is the right community for me, but in the absence of any others, it's this or nothing.

It was not removed by me. It's not about witty comebacks, I stand by what I said.

I am not liked here, I know that. If you have opinions that don't conform, you will be outcast.

I get annoyed that people don't seem to realise that not everyone has money to throw away left right and centre on cars. I don't think this is the right community for me, but in the absence of any others, it's this or nothing.

Nobody has said you're not liked, that's in your head. If your posts were, shall we say, a bit more positive, you might get a bit more positive reaction. Please tell us the good things about your Supra? What do you like about it? Why do you have one? I have mine as it's a bit agricultural compared to modern cars, its fun to drive, it craps you out and wakes you up when the back end steps out somewhat unexpectedly, it sounds fecking ace, it looks sexy. Like others have said I've looked at other cars and keep thinking naa I'll keep it a bit longer. And no I haven't got lots of money either.

Friend of mine has an RS6 and an S8, in fact you might remember him from DB, Pedro!! Well it's always broken, something always needs fixing and it is VERY expensive when it goes wrong which it does often.

He couldn't believe on DB the amount of power some cars were running and the fact the guys had been pushing the cars around Europe and driving back home. In his words if he did that on the RS6 by the end of it something would give way.

Also I left him drive my Supra and he said that he could feel everything, even down to the road surface changing. Both his Audi's the drive was numb, speed was quick but he didn't feel the same sensation as he did in the Supra even though his RS6 was much faster.

Friend of mine has an RS6 and an S8, in fact you might remember him from DB, Pedro!! Well it's always broken, something always needs fixing and it is VERY expensive when it goes wrong which it does often.

He couldn't believe on DB the amount of power some cars were running and the fact the guys had been pushing the cars around Europe and driving back home. In his words if he did that on the RS6 by the end of it something would give way.

Also I left him drive my Supra and he said that he could feel everything, even down to the road surface changing. Both his Audi's the drive was numb, speed was quick but he didn't feel the same sensation as he did in the Supra even though his RS6 was much faster.

Good to see you posting still :D would you get another supra if they were more available where you are?

Good to see you posting still :D would you get another supra if they were more available where you are?

Couldn't sleep so thought I'd hop on, think it's been nearly year since I last signed in!!

I would love to! TT6 here starts around £40k for a shabby example! Such a limited supply here too but they attract far more attention than exotica.

Just had a look now and one has come up 2 days ago, best example I have seen so far!! Seems to be in good condition for £42k.

Couldn't sleep so thought I'd hop on, think it's been nearly year since I last signed in!!

I would love to! TT6 here starts around £40k for a shabby example! Such a limited supply here too but they attract far more attention than exotica.

Just had a look now and one has come up 2 days ago, best example I have seen so far!! Seems to be in good condition for £42k.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/37fa5ac374f49aca06358b0eaf3226e6.jpg

Dean!!! You're back!!! Yay!!! :D