The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why on earth would you buy a Supra?

marc_p

Well it's been a while since I p1ssed off a member on here so thought I'd just come in and p1ss the entire club off, make up for lost time and all that :innocent:

Anyway, despite the above, this is more of a conversational/debate inducing piece than it may appear.

Yes, I do still love my Supra, I've had 4 of them and over the past 9+ years, I've never been without one, I got my 1st at 19 and now I'm not far off being 30, they have seen me through all the ups and downs, from a fresh faced teen not knowing where he stood in the world with zero responsibilities and living with his parents to someone who.........well, I have my own house now :D.

Back when I first got mine, the Supra was in a league of it's own, it was fast, it still looked up to date to a degree, people loved them and due to the tune-ability it had every quick car trembling when one appeared, there had only been 3 Fast and Furious films and modified Japanese cars still had some kudos to them, but the worlds moved on.

I cling onto my Supra for one reason, nostalgia of what once was, but what actually makes people want a Supra these days? Speed? Buy a GTR, hell, an Audi RS6 Avant will destroy most singles with a remap. Looks? Subjective, but let's be honest, it's no Ferrari, imo the RX7 has always been a prettier car. Iconic? maybe, but no more than the RX7, classic Impreza, Skyline and really, it's the R34 GTR that holds the torch on that one. Handling? spend a chunk and it's alright at best.

There is just a lot of cars that are better straight out the box in nigh on every department and can even be used as daily's with ease.

So, my question to you, why do you like the Supra? Where does it even fit in?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having this internal battle, the Supra is definitely moving into the realm of classic car; the only reason for keeping them about is nostalgia. 9 times out of 10 I prefer hooning it about in the Lexus, but then I get a reaction from someone on the street and it reminds me what owning a Supra is about. In my mind, buying a Supra is a way of expressing a passion for cars in a way that having an M3 (or whatever) doesn't express. I think the GTR falls into this category too, but they are prohibitively expensive at the point of entry for some.

I agree with some of your points actually, I also think the rx7 is better looking but that has a shit engine.

I agree the R34 is more iconic but the Supra has to be second in line.

Speed you said GTR or RS6 avant? I agree but Jesus Christ I ain't got that kind of money. They are 50kish? My Supra cost me 9k and I've probably spent 10 on it and it'll have over 600bhp soon. You can't beat that power with the reliability it gives, much more reliable and tuneable that an R34 or Rx7. Whilst only falling slightly behind in the other two category.

The supras a great all round car, you can have 700bhp, drive it reliably every day, sounds great, looks great (in my opinion) and it is iconic. Can't think of many other 'affordable' cars you can say all that about.

Mine still makes me feel like a kid whenever I drive it. Hell, even when I just look at it it gives me that tingling feeling.

It's hard to put your finger on the one thing that draws us all to the Supra because it has so many things going for it.

The road presence it still has to this day even against the new cars released this year is proof that this car is something special.

Similar to you I didn't really know much about the Supra until I noticed them on the F&F films lol I only just got into Jap cars from being a Ford man with my MR2 Turbo rev 3 and that's when the first F&F film came out.. Once I seen the film and done more research on the car I thought the Supra was just an animal and had to have one.

I think now I still be very interested in them If I didn't own one as I like having a older retro performance car then something new. I like the feel of the old style switches, the not so smooth gearbox etc

I would still choose a R34 over a R35 model that's for sure..

I think if I wanted another project I would go 240z or something that era

Mine still makes me feel like a kid whenever I drive it. Hell, even when I just look at it it gives me that tingling feeling.

It's hard to put your finger on the one thing that draws us all to the Supra because it has so many things going for it.

The road presence it still has to this day even against the new cars released this year is proof that this car is something special.

Didn't Burna clear that up for you?

I do kind of agree

Ive drove into car meets where there has been exotic cars, gtr's and alot higher end cars in front of me, yet all the attention goes to the supra

I always thought to myself in those situations, why lol

Personally i would never pay current market price for a supra, i would rather a gtr if i was in the buying position again

But im happy with mine, its silly fast and gets all the attention wherever it goes

But one thing that does my nut at every car show or meet, is the only things that people ask are, is it auto or manual? how much bhp?

Marc most of us members generally have one daily and try and get the best we can dependant on house family commitments.We then want a bit of fun in our lives and my fun in the early days was a Honda Fireblade. But as I was getting older Chris suggested we get a father son project. I am not a great lover of modern stuff so settled on a nice Supra as it was always one of my favourites. What's been spent since is between me and the bank manager. But I still cannot think of a car that gives you as much attention and fun for your money. If I had a stable of cars similar to yours then the supra would maybe take a back seat but then again you have to have something old and classy in your life, well that's what I tell the wife ;)

Edited by jcbt (see edit history)

Ohh you've done it now

I like to prod the bear :D

I agree with some of your points actually, I also think the rx7 is better looking but that has a shit engine.

I agree the R34 is more iconic but the Supra has to be second in line.

Speed you said GTR or RS6 avant? I agree but Jesus Christ I ain't got that kind of money. They are 50kish? My Supra cost me 9k and I've probably spent 10 on it and it'll have over 600bhp soon. You can't beat that power with the reliability it gives, much more reliable and tuneable that an R34 or Rx7. Whilst only falling slightly behind in the other two category.

The supras a great all round car, you can have 700bhp, drive it reliably every day, sounds great, looks great (in my opinion) and it is iconic. Can't think of many other 'affordable' cars you can say all that about.

But you couldn't do that again, not with the prices only going one way, you'd now be around the same price once all is said and done these days.

Every girl wants to get fingered in a Supra, debate over.

Hate to tell you, but the Supra is a d1ck magnet, if a girl likes it, shes a man, roughly 0.1% of the female population would even entertain getting in one :D

Similar to you I didn't really know much about the Supra until I noticed them on the F&F films lol I only just got into Jap cars from being a Ford man with my MR2 Turbo rev 3 and that's when the first F&F film came out.. Once I seen the film and done more research on the car I thought the Supra was just an animal and had to have one.

I think now I still be very interested in them If I didn't own one as I like having a older retro performance car then something new. I like the feel of the old style switches, the not so smooth gearbox etc

I would still choose a R34 over a R35 model that's for sure..

I think if I wanted another project I would go 240z or something that era

That's the nostalgia, the old school tech, similar reasons to me really.

That's what I'm expecting to happen at Dragonball!!

Be right back lads, I'm just off to refund Marcs DB ticket so he doesn't have to look at a load of Supras all weekend :D

Don't worry mate, there's a GTR and a 911 for me to admire :D

What else can you buy? That's Semi practical, RWD manual and tune 800hp easy enough?

I loved the GTR, and I will probably buy another one soon, epically fast car, but just a bit boring.

Corvette :innocent:

But in all seriousness, a Monaro/VXR8/etc are easy enough to get that output reliably for a similar cost, maybe even a little less, for instance, the Corvette with £3k worth of bolt ons is knocking on the door of 500hp, add a full Supercharger kit for £7k and it'll sit pretty at 800hp.

I can see why people loose interest a bit when it's been something you've desired later in life (and around the 2000's), but for some of us the supra was our dream car growing up, seeing it on Lexus stands at car shows on launch and promising yourself that you would one day own one.

To me it's all about enjoying it for myself, it's the ultimate selfish possession to someone with a young family, but like has been said earlier sometimes you need a bit of fun in your life.

I'm driving mine less and less due to family life, but it makes the times when I do take it out all the more enjoyable; getting to know it again is like getting a new toy all over again.

I'll never loose the love for them.

Corvette :innocent:

But in all seriousness, a Monaro/VXR8/etc are easy enough to get that output reliably for a similar cost, maybe even a little less, for instance, the Corvette with £3k worth of bolt ons is knocking on the door of 500hp, add a full Supercharger kit for £7k and it'll sit pretty at 800hp.

Terrible reply dude :D LHD corvette no good, and monaro/vxr8 are ok but just to heavy, handle like tanks.

As a teenager, at around 15 years old, my best mates (at that time) dad had a mk3 turbo. He sold it and bought a '94 UK spec supra, which was only a year old at the time.

I remember being in the back of it, when he took us for a spin up the road, and it just felt blisteringly fast - and looked epic too.

From then on, that's the car I aspired to own, but even as a young adult, it was always out of reach financially.

I moved out and bought my first house at 21 - in 2001, with my now wife. I've always been a car nut, which I think was helped by my dad being a panel beater and sprayer for almost all of his working life, so I spent a lot of time around motors, and helping him at weekends.

I bought an mr2 turbo, in 2004, which was the first 'seriously quick' car I'd owned. I'd had my fair share of old school fords (xr2, xr3i, v6 mk1 mondeo), a couple of minis, an astra gte, and an ae92 corolla gti.

The mr2 was a great fun toy, that I played around with, but always pined after a supra. Finally, in 2013, I was in a position to be able to buy one. I think I got in just in time, before they started to climb in price!

Since then, I've modified it quite a bit, and turned it into my vision of my ideal supra. I don't get to drive it often, but I find myself grinning like a Cheshire cat after a blat, and it still makes me look back as I walk away from it.