The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Laser etching - custom dash switch

mwilkinson

I've modified a UK ignition panel to work with a facelift dash. I now have three factory button holes. Two are assigned, folding mirrors and fog light switch.

The third switch I want to use to open and close my exhaust valve. I've got a spare UK Spec headlight washers switch which will work fine. I want to change the symbol on the switch to something more meaningful.

I understand that the symbols are etched onto the surface of the switch with a laser.

I was wondering if anyone had done this before or had access to a laser etching device?

Alternatively, any other options?

Theres a thread on supraforums where someone did it. They sanded the switch smooth back to the clear plastic. Painted it matt black and had a company laser etch the logo. Looked great. Would be fantastic to have someone on the forums to be able to do this. We could refurb heater buttons without having to buy new ones.

I made a custom switch for mine by sanding back a stock TRAC switch, then masking it up and spraying it. Came out well. The guy who did the masks did say that they could do it with a laser if I ever needed something similar doing.

See the bottom of this page on my build thread for details on how I did it :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?312625-Jays-VVTi-Single-Turbo-Paddleshift-build-thread/page31

Will contact Casheye about the possibility of using his laser etcher.

I contacted Chris at Abbey Signs and he is unwilling to laser etch the switch. To high a possibility of it going wrong.

He is looking at making me a suitable mask instead. I just need to send him the relevant dimensions.

• 1 month later...

Update to this. I've been in contact with Mike (Casheye) and he has creating a mask for the exhaust valve button.

This was my design for the button.

It was taken from this design.

Mike took this and came up with the following, plus a few others. The additional designs came about after I discovered, upon sanding back the button face, that not all the panel could be illuminated due to fixing marks.

I've now tested the reverse mask on the switch to see if the design overlapped any of the black fixings.

The next step will be to buy some Halfords satin black paint and have a go at using the mask to create the desired switch.

I'd like to thank Mike for his assistance with this. :thumbs:

That looks great :)

A bit of advice from when I did mine... removing the mask at the right point will dictate the finish, so when spraying the switch, spray a bit of paint into a scrap piece of plastic, and use this to check how it's drying. When the paint is almost dry, but still soft, use a pin to carefully remove the mask.

Also get some satin lacquer and give the switch a couple of coats after the paint is dry. :)

Have you tried this type of process before? That is burning a symbol onto a painted plastic button?

Not yet as I normally mark steel or tungsten carbide, but it can mark through anodised aluminium. I can ask the tech guy who I bought the laser from about marking plastic.

Only 13K. What justifies such a hefty price?

That's quite a reasonable price compared to some, it does exactly what I need it to do!

That's quite a reasonable price compared to some, it does exactly what I need it to do!

I'm sure there's more to it, (and I really want to find out what because I love this stuff) but from first glance, it's just a small laser machine with a low powered laser? What advantages does it have over the more powerful cutters they sell at half the price?

And apologies in advance for this small hijack.

I'm sure there's more to it, (and I really want to find out what because I love this stuff) but from first glance, it's just a small laser machine with a low powered laser? What advantages does it have over the more powerful cutters they sell at half the price?

And apologies in advance for this small hijack.

If I can find some old switches / buttons I will give this a go, my laser can mark ABS, polypropylene, polycarbonate, carbon fibre and Titanium among other materials.

If your interested Casheye, check out this article. http://www.industrial-lasers.com/articles/2013/11/fiber-versus-co2-laser-cutting.html

There are other machines available now I could buy for manufacturing Diamond cutting tools that use a laser to profile. http://uk.dmgmori.com/products/lasertec/lasertec-precisiontool/lasertec-20-precisiontool

This is a nice machine but currently over 500,000 Euro's, maybe next year lol.

Edited by markssupra (see edit history)

If I can find some old switches / buttons I will give this a go, my laser can mark ABS, polypropylene, polycarbonate, carbon fibre and Titanium among other materials.

If your interested Casheye, check out this article. http://www.industrial-lasers.com/articles/2013/11/fiber-versus-co2-laser-cutting.html

There are other machines available now I could buy for manufacturing Diamond cutting tools that use a laser to profile. http://uk.dmgmori.com/products/lasertec/lasertec-precisiontool/lasertec-20-precisiontool

Very interesting. Although the article was talking about lasers in the KW power range, I'd like to see some real world examples from the 20-100w range that people like myself would use. I've not used a material in my work that my machine hasn't been able to handle, although some I'd rather not use (styrene and similar) as they're pretty toxic when lasered and don't have make a mess of the bed. I did a stone carving workshop the other weekend in Dorset and brought some Portland Stone back with me which engraved quite nicely. Not really suitable for automotive purposes unless you're building a Flintstones car :p

You have a laser to mark/etch carbon fibre?

May have a job for you :)