The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intermittent noise 2JZ-GE - video

evinX

Hi all, every monday after the cars sat for the weekend i get this wobbly knocking sound from the top of the engine near the cams. Cant figure it out. Any ideas? Im thinking tappets but i dont know too much about engines, Been happening for months usually on mondays after is been sat for the weekend.

*Goes away when revving

*Comes back as soon as the idle goes stable

*Intermittent, somewhat the same intervals as the clicking i had with the Automatic tensioner

*Car pulls fine

*Oil is clean, recently changed, no metallics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_eSYTZF5Zw&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idgaf1Tt9BY&feature=youtu.be

Any ideas? Thanks Kev

Edited by evinX (see edit history)

I have the same thing with 1J and I went on a wild chase trying to figure it out.

Noise is only experienced on idle, goes away with throttle. Fine when cold, but starts to appear when at operating temperature. Doesn't always occur, sometimes it runs fine! No negative effect on performance that I've been able to see. Symptoms are not reminiscent of what is found with a spun bearing or proper bottom end damage. IE: Sound is not tied to RPM.

To date I've done the following:

- Tested oil pressure -> Absolutely bang on as specified via the repair manual. No oil pressure loss as would be expected from bottom end bearings.

- Switched oils -> Went from 5w30 to 5w50 to see if thicker oil would make it quieter. No difference

- Checked over every bolt on the engine, made sure all was torqued to spec and nothing loose.

- Double checked the valve clearances (all within spec). Although it was noted on my cam lobes there were a few wear marks.

- Compression test showed that everything was healthy.

- Removed Aux belt and sound still persisted, so not the auxiliaries or tensioner making the sound.

- Went over every part of the engine with a stethoscope. Listening to the head and the block I could only hear the noise very faintly behind the engine noise. Strangely though, on the metal timing cover that sits behind the cam pulleys, the sound was loud and clear. My best explanation for that is that the sound resonated from it's source to that metal plate and is most vibrant there as the metal sheet is thin. Holding the metal cover with my hands dulled some of the noise, but I doubt that it would be solving the issue, just covering it up.

- I then made a knock sensor headphone system that fed into an audio software on my laptop. After examining the sound waves, I could not find the noise appearing on the knock sensors, the valvetrain and pistons sounded ok.

I probably did a couple of other tests but can't remember them now. Either way, I started to lose hope in diagnosing this issue. Internally, it seemed likely that it could only be a loose piston wrist pin or worn camshaft creating these noises. I was super close to completely taking apart the engine and investigating this

At the same time as doing the above, I was looking up old youtube video's and threads about this issue and contacting people asking them if they ever solved the issue. I actually got a few responses, some saying they never solved it but have driven 30k+ miles on the engine and it's still going strong. One claimed that installing a new cambelt & tensioner setup got rid of the sound and another said a new set of camshafts fixed it for him.

So far I can confirm that the sound is nothing catastrophic, performance does not seem affected in my case.

My rough plan is to give my current 1J a rough 6 months for the summer season, if it survives, when it starts getting cold I will take it apart for a rebuild and hopefully I will find the source of this issue for once and report my findings somewhere. I'll also try the cambelt/tensioner change suggestion in the meantime. Also there are some people that have said that a slightly worn crank pulley or crank timing gear which has movement on the key they locate on can also creates this issue.

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)

Ok great to hear its nothing serious...im on 200k plus kilometers now. So expect some wear and tear. On the other hand, bad news as we cant find the source of this. That metal plate near the cams...its very pronounced in that area...any chance of being the injectors making noise. I feel as though i can hear it from the rear driver side of the engine to....injectors run along that area. Kev :thumbs:

Ok great to hear its nothing serious...im on 200k plus kilometers now. So expect some wear and tear. On the other hand, bad news as we cant find the source of this. That metal plate near the cams...its very pronounced in that area...any chance of being the injectors making noise. I feel as though i can hear it from the rear driver side of the engine to....injectors run along that area. Kev :thumbs:

Checked injectors on mine and all running smoothly.

Cam belt tensioner/pulley is a possibility. Just off to search a thread....

perhaps early stages of this?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?303109-Strange-resonant-rattle&highlight=cambelt

Last year i replaced the Tensioner bearing and Hydraulic tensioner, that noise would idicate straight away that somethings not right in that thread, but the sound i have is very low pitched and seems like a vibration from something turning, being pronounced

Just went out for a drive, warmed her up, pulled on the drive with the stethescope, sweet as a nut. Cant hear anything like that, I did at one point hear 1 knock but it just dissapeared, everything else is smooth. I even heard the tappets/ buckets inside the rocker covers clicking away smoothly. Seems to only happen at night when im at work and shes on idle, and the temperature outside has dropped.

Had a listen to your vids and the noise sounded identical to what I had with one on mine once. This was the thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?105787-Help-engine-making-knocking-noise!&highlight=knock the Videos I put up are not available anymore but I remember the noise well, sounds exactly the same.

Despite mine being trailered off and inspected, no fault was ever found. So its not a huge help but just incase there is anything in that thread that may give you some ideas :)

I had the same knocking sound on my 2jzgte engine, and only on idle when hot, if i raise the idle alittle bit it dissapers, Mine was the timinggear on the crankshaft that had some play on the keyway, not much but it was enough to make that sound.. put new on and the knocking sound was away..

Edited by jza800 (see edit history)

• 2 years later...