The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello There

MrGRT

Hello Everyone,

As a teenager off the 90s and with pro Toyota parents I have a soft spot for the brand and anything from that era. Had a 7th gen celica before emigrating.

Now that I am settled in the UK and other life priorities are being taking care off I am looking forward to owning a pretty decent, exciting , purposeful looking, powerful, sporty car.

That's it for now.

The search for the right car will start soon hopefully, just need to finish some updates to the house and figure out the budget.

GT

haha Yes, not sure if buying single or TT, I will go for a manual and don't really mind if UK spec or not.

I prefer OEM stock looking, yours is actually quite nice but not for me, it wouldn't even get into the driveway let alone my office car park.

So stock looking or with lip, manual, has to be a turbo.

Will pay and put my Wanted advert hopefully as soon as the money is ready.

haha Yes, not sure if buying single or TT, I will go for a manual and don't really mind if UK spec or not.

I prefer OEM stock looking, yours is actually quite nice but not for me, it wouldn't even get into the driveway let alone my office car park.

So stock looking or with lip, manual, has to be a turbo.

Will pay and put my Wanted advert hopefully as soon as the money is ready.

Cheers mate yeah im an all or nothing kind of guy so either totally stock or massively modified is my thing :D

Nice one yeah stick up a wanted add in the classifieds when your ready and keep an eye on the for sale add's too. Any questions just ask away we are usually a helpful bunch :)

• 2 years later...

Reviving this old thread.

Have put a deposit on a car, I am going with the heart.

Hope to have it with me in a couple of weeks.

There are 3 documents I have read from the site so far:

What to check when buying a Supra guide

Model Differences Chart &

Guide to the Supra

What others are recommended?

I am in the Reading area, what garages are recommended to service the car?

I know that SRD and Whifbitz are the most experienced tuners, but this is a NA Auto so I don't think I necessarily have to go to them for service.

Guest Budz86

SRD aren't just tuners, they do standard servicing too. The benefit of having a garage that knows these well look over it will at least give you peace of mind that everything is sound and no future issues lurking. Personally, I'd take it to them and give it a quick check over, especially if it's coming from outside the forum as with values on these rising, there are plenty of less than honest sellers looking to cash in with cars not very well cared for.

A 2 year belated welcome aboard :)

I'm no where near reading, so cant help you with workshops sorry.

On the document front, if your going to do any work yourself, there is quite a few workshop manuals floating around the net. Well worth getting a copy.

This site: http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm Is a bit of a starting point bible for supra owners, helping you to work out exactly what you got, and what you can do with it.

Supra's are a classic car now, and unfortunately that means they will come with classic car problems as they age. Whilst the "what to check" guide is fantastic, it was written at a time when supra's were less pricey, and more common.

Now most supra's are a quarter of a century old, rapidly rising in price, and far more rare.

This all means that when you have to compromise a lot in what your looking for. When you do inspect a car, its much harder to just walk away now than those guides imply.

You have to weigh up if there is another to walk away to, plus the fact its any others will likely have their own issues.

Instead make sure your prepared and setup for any post-purchase issues plus your own plans, and pick the car with the least problems - hopefully you will be able to find one with just cosmetic ones.

Thanks Simon. Some food for thought, I appreciate it.

I am not able to do DIY tasks but trust the reliability and availability of parts even if they are used.

Crossed fingers for a good experience but prepared economically if that is not the case.

SRD aren't just tuners, they do standard servicing too. The benefit of having a garage that knows these well look over it will at least give you peace of mind that everything is sound and no future issues lurking. Personally, I'd take it to them and give it a quick check over, especially if it's coming from outside the forum as with values on these rising, there are plenty of less than honest sellers looking to cash in with cars not very well cared for.

/QUOTE]

Cheers Budz, I will take your advice. I will take the car to SRD for a check over first.

• 2 weeks later...