The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra project 'Sophie'

Suprakeith

Well thought would finally do thread about my supra 'Sophie'

I will start at the beginning, I was always into my Fords but had a thing for the supra mkiv so finally bit the bullet and purchased her in June 2011. Didn't really have any plans for her just wanted to upgrade the basics and enjoy the car.

Few images of car after getting her home and giving good polish

After owning car for few months decide wanted some nice wheels as wasn't fan of stock ones at all, so purchased set of 18inch TE wheels and they changed look of car totally but on same day fitted new wheels I took her out and lost control coming off roundabout in the wet and smashed into the barriers, damaging both passenger wheels, rear panel, front wing,headlight and front bumper

Edited by Suprakeith (see edit history)

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After smashing her up took her to body shop and ordered two more wheels and Bomex front bumper and was very pleased when got her back as changed look of car completely

At the point had help from forum members sourcing new front wing and headlights from Inazone dad.

I just decided then to enjoy the car and took her to various shows.

But in 2013 I had another incident with supra and the starter motor caught fire damaging wire loom so can was booked in to have damage repaired to wire loom.

After this I took her to Santa pod and my best time 15.01 seconds.

Was impressed with time for manual N/A.

After this took car to MGT for dyno morning and after chating to Garth decided to fit a nitrous oxide system which I went a little bit over board spending 2.5k on a set up but was well worth it as next year ran a 14.2 at Santa pod using 75hp Nos shot.

Now to a few weeks ago decide to take Sophie to work one night and ended up having play with couple of cars two motorbikes which ended up with supra coming home on trailer and suspected damaged bottom end from me pushing her to hard

Got her home and into garage and decided that I should finally go NA-T and rebuild block as have been taking about last few years and it's route I always to go.

Got a mechanic mate round to listen to noise and also confirmed that small or big end has gone

After this contacted Lee at SRD and block and crank are going to him after Christmas for oil ways to me drilled and block fully refreshed ready for build.

Once know state of bores will order forged pistons and rods so can get block rebuilt ready for the head which will take to work and do skim and may do CNC port and polish aswell. Then will order XS power turbo conversion kit and thinking Link G4+ ecu.

Am aiming for 450+ bhp while have w58 fitted then once get body work sorted will get new gearbox and aim for 600+. I have already saved 3k as was originally going to have car resprayed over winter but now this happened plan has changed. Also have another N/A engine coming after Christmas so can use car next year as normal while build going on.

Well this weekend started stripping engine parts and removing front bumper, hence reason for this thread wanted to do quick history of owning her and update as the strip down goes on and then the rebuild.

Next on the list is to push car out garage and remove front wings and bonnet plus drain the fuel from tank, then can finish stripping engine and hopefully aim to have engine out in next few weeks and start stripping it down.

Nice engine bay a to work on, i had my lump out in a few hours when i was doing my build, be good to see this progress.

Yea it is nice easy engine bay to work on, I would of had this engine out over weekend but just waiting for engine hoist and engine stand to turn up, can't wait to get engine out as want to smooth engine bay and then refresh it with new paint. Just unsure if stick to silver bay or different colour to make it stand out abit

I honestly think an original slightly tired looking engine bay would look better than a rattled canned engine bay.

Your never going to get a nice finish with rattle cans. I thought about it with mine but then thought keeping it oem (even if a little rough in places) looks nicer and more original than a half arsed attempt with an aerosol.

Il have mine painted properly once i get round to it.

I honestly think an original slightly tired looking engine bay would look better than a rattled canned engine bay.

Your never going to get a nice finish with rattle cans. I thought about it with mine but then thought keeping it oem (even if a little rough in places) looks nicer and more original than a half arsed attempt with an aerosol.

Il have mine painted properly once i get round to it.

/QUOTE]

You do have a point mate, may just clean it up and see how looks 1st, would love to get in painted properly

Forgot to add also got some parts for the build thanks to Harley

NA head with xs power exhaust manifold and new water neck

Plan to get head skimmed and built ready for when block finished by SRD then can look at getting engine all built ready to be refitted once get new clutch

Little update on progress

Engine nearly ready to come out, just power steering pump and system which is causing me problems as have undone the bracket and still can't free pump but will try again next weekend. And then can remove rest of loom.

I have drained oil and labelled up wire loom plugs, disconnected

I have also spoke to boss at work and he said can use the CNC machines to do port and polish on head before send that to be rebuilt with new parts.

Have also decided going to build best block I can afford and look at knife edging crank and having engine blueprinted and balanced perfectly with fully forged internals.

Mate, this car has come along way since seeing it at the LMM meet back at the beginning of 2012. Glad to see you are still going strong with it. I sold my supe in April of 2012, and regretted it ever since, but one day I will have another. Enjoyed reading your build thread and wish you all the best with it and look forward to the results.

Mate, this car has come along way since seeing it at the LMM meet back at the beginning of 2012. Glad to see you are still going strong with it. I sold my supe in April of 2012, and regretted it ever since, but one day I will have another. Enjoyed reading your build thread and wish you all the best with it and look forward to the results.

Thank you very much, the LMM was my 1st meet up with supra club and still have the love for my car, be good to see you in a supra again.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing really to update with regards to getting engine out, have purchased engine stand and hoist will be turning up this week. Haven't been able to get on with supra as was involved in car crash last week and my back has been very sore and stiff. Crash wasn't my fault she drove into side of my daily while was stationary. Hopefully over next two weeks off I can get wings off and lift engine out ready to begin strip down

Well today have finally got engine ready to be removed, all need to do is undo the gearbox bolts.

Hopefully tomorrow can get the front wings removed so can push engine loom out way completely, just shame can't disconnect the engine loom.

Also my new engine hoist has turned up so can get that built and hopefully pull engine out next week.