The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra project 'Sophie'

Suprakeith

Today was good day, got my engine fired up and running today with no leaks, at 1st she wasn’t running right and kept stalling, worked out problem is my alternator the only thing didn’t replace as was working fine before stared build. Think something must be loose inside as once put lights on noticed big difference in noise and engine was running perfectly smooth and ran for 45mins without stalling before switched her off.

I am so pleased and amazed that I have managed to build this on my own more or less and now it’s ruining sweet can’t wait to get her out on the road again.

Can’t seem to upload videos at moment but will try later using tablet see if that will let me upload them

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Well had a little accident last weekend while replacing alternator, some how I managed to melt part of my wire loom.

Did disconnect battery but think one of the trickle charger wires touched while squeezing alternator into position, had quite abit of smoke and checked all my power steering wires are fully burnt out and snapped plus part of loom behind cam verniers also melted, was very lucky car didn’t go up in flames.

So after looking at all options have decided to have brand new custom loom made by Tweak’d performance in USA.

So this weekend have focused on removing old damaged loom out car so can tidy up few bits while wait for new loom to turn up.

Didn’t think would have to strip so much but at least it’s done now.

Also managed to remove my Bee R Rev limiter as don’t need that as have my link ecu.

Edited by Suprakeith (see edit history)

Do you know what caused it. Be a shame to do the same to the new loom.

How much was it if you don't mind me asking

Yea I think the trickle charger wire caught terminal while alternator cable was touching the body work and caused the short.

And it’s $1400 so just over £1000, I just waiting for it to turn up now, when does will post plenty pictures of it up.

• 6 months later...

Wow can’t believe haven’t updated this months, loads has happened....

Well to start with the new loom finally turned up after waiting couple months plus also my new SSI billet inlet manifold and billet fuel rail turned aswell

I also treated car to AFR gauge and a Funk carbon turbo heat shield

Few pictures of loom before fitting

Next update, had to remove pretty much all stock inlet to fit loom, plus treated loom to some Funk motorsport heat protection and also heat protection for the the turbo oil feed

The new custom loom didn’t sit well in the stock plastic loom parts, hence why got the Funk heat protection stuff

I then removed the wastegate and upgraded the spring to 10psi and fitted the turbo blanket

I also got some heat wrap for turbo down pipe and screamer pipe

Then fitted new horns and finally got both headlights back in with HID kits fitted

Was now ready to finally start the car again and here’s where the fun begins...

When trying to turn car over was getting nothing so at 1st thought could of damaged ignitor or coil with short so replaced both them, and had still no luck with firing up car wouldn’t even turn over.

So next went through tall fuses and relays to see if could find problem and was still having no joy at all.

Alex (Inazone) came over to help and to see if could figure out fault and spent day going through wires and still couldn’t find fault.

Thought was strong possibility that could have fried ecu so spoke to a friend and they sent me a base map for link ecu so could rule out ecu, so fitted the link in its 3D printed case and connected laptop to install map and try again and was still no luck with engine turning over was just getting few relays clicking that’s it

After this thought it could be immobiliser causing problem so Alex came round again and we disconnected immobiliser and glad we did as the splice looms were terrible looked like an idiot had done the work, so was happy to get that removed, at same time i also decided to remove dash and check all wires there just incase plus have dash panels wrapped in carbon fibre and redo the heater matrix.

Dash before started removal

The removal process

Crash bar out

Heater matrix box out

Sad looking interior now

After all this and checking all the wires still couldn’t find any damage or fault so decided to contact Tweak’d where got loom from and explain plus ask help on forum, after going back and forwards for couple weeks finally found that I had fitted white connector into wrong port,

Once put it in correct port can finally turned over and fired up so made self little make shift dash to keep eye on bits

Onto today fitted new alternator and belt forget that had SRD alternator in box, these things happen I guess.

Managed to strip heater matrix box and matrix is full of dirt and white gunk so going to get new matrix plus also hope to get new metal heater pipes aswell as there old and worn

Still got little fault to fix, car runs great and sounds sweet but when rev car she goes back to idle and stalls and also to keep her running sweet have to have lights on ie alternator under load, when turn lights off the engine runs ok for few minutes then stalls and cuts out..unsure what’s causing it as everything looks fine and have no leaks that can see.

Over next couple weeks plan to fit new matrix and get matrix box back in and connected so can fit dash surround back in plus have new alarm and immobiliser fitted...while trying to work out why she keeps stalling.

IMG_7795.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well haven’t updated this for long time so while at work thought why not.

After stripping dash and heater matrix I was able to order both the heater matrix hard pipes from Toyota

I stripped down the heater matrix box and cleaned it all,and back together with the new pipes and heater matrix

While running the engine noticed noise coming from dizzy so replaced it with brand new Toyota one.

I also ordered full new braided fuel lines and filter to flow enough fuel for 1200bhp, plus turbosmart fuel pressure regulator.

Over Christmas I ordered Abflug carbon bonnet from knightracer which they delivered the same day for, so got that fitted and also replaced the old bonnet hinges with new Toyota ones

Am now at stage where have most of dash back in and rear seats back in, have got my battery in boot and am fabricating a battery support at work.

Treated the supra to nice shinny hoodlock ready for the shows

Been struggling to find new bomex front bumper, so contacted mates bodyshop snd Luckily he can repair my old one so that’s one less problem.

I also fitted my AFR gauge into dash and am waiting for boost gauge pod to finally put all dash back

Next on the list is this weekend I an going to run car and check heater unit working all fine and and everything works before refit last dash parts.

Then will be removing my stock inlet and fitting SSI billet FFIM with billet fuel rail, fit new fuel lines and connect everything up and leaning towards the FIC 1000cc or 1200cc injectors, then have the fun job of doing custom intercooler pipe work as no kits on market that will fit set up.

Am aiming to get car in end of April for mapping but still got few jobs to sort including getting the nos all reconnected.

Coming along nicely. Can't be far away now!

I've just deleted my distributor and switched over to coil packs which I would reccomend doing. I'm not sure why to be honest, but I've never seen a distributor supply spark past about 1.3bar of boost. Whifbitz have just released a nice looking kit if you're not up for a custom approach

Coming along nicely. Can't be far away now!

I've just deleted my distributor and switched over to coil packs which I would reccomend doing. I'm not sure why to be honest, but I've never seen a distributor supply spark past about 1.3bar of boost. Whifbitz have just released a nice looking kit if you're not up for a custom approach

Thank you mate, she’s not far away now at all.

I am planning to do the distributer delete last as like you say not seen distributer spark well over 1.3 bar boost, have seen his kit and it does look like great piece of kit as wouldn’t be able to custom one myself as terrible with wiring.

I won’t be able to push much over 500bhp to start with cause still got the W58 at moment but would be nice to have the coil kit in and ready for when change the gearbox.

Thank you mate, she’s not far away now at all.

I am planning to do the distributer delete last as like you say not seen distributer spark well over 1.3 bar boost, have seen his kit and it does look like great piece of kit as wouldn’t be able to custom one myself as terrible with wiring.

I won’t be able to push much over 500bhp to start with cause still got the W58 at moment but would be nice to have the coil kit in and ready for when change the gearbox.

Nice one mate, you've definitely gone about this build the right way. Kudos for sticking to it as well as I know it's been a bumpy road at times :)

Well another update, didn’t manage to get much done on car Sunday too busy chatting away to neighbour while had her running.

But on the plus side did reconnect my heater controls and new matrix working well have heat again and all the switches working fine, only thing that wasn’t working is the lights for the temperature selection dial so think at later will need new heater unit or get mine repaired.

Few goodies turned up this week, the 3D printed vent gauge pod from Burna, will add picture tomorrow.

Ordered couple new keys from Toyota wanted to get the Pro Spec titanium ones but out of stock, will just keep eye out when they come in stock again

Just waiting for boost gauge to arrive then can put rest of dash back together, then next big job will be removing stock inlet and finally fitting my billet SSI ffim, plus need to fit longer throttle cable which have ready and fuel system.