My First Supra - Red Mkiv N/a Auto

jonny mac

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, going on from here, not too much to post but the car is home

image43 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i have alot to do to it still but very little time at the moment, plus it's winter so no hurry!

image42 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

rolled her out the garage to put a few more parts back on, still needs number plates, side skirts, rear trims, front bumper, headlights, blah blah blah

image44 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

still need to collect the side skirts back from the bodyshop and i'm waiting for a new set of bumper fixings from toyota before i properly attach the front back on

image41 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also ordered a new set of badges inc 'supra' badge from Toyota :)

image46 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image47 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

Guest NathanMcbeath94

Most pics I've seen man, looking mint[emoji1303] will be following this closely un till I get a chance too see it in person.

• 2 weeks later...

so not getting much done lately, the weather has been pretty bad and i've been tied up with another project but at least she's inside and warm-ish in the garage

more badges arrived from toyota, front on order and will be here in a few days

image49 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got some clear wing repeaters along with some amber 501 bulbs

image48 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

tried the headlights back in just to see how it'll look, i'm over the moon :D

image51 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

just need to order up the loom for the facelift indicators and get a set of them ordered online

my orange indicators are not going back on the front!

facelift fronts and Toyota loom

image50 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah got one thanks :D it's in the boot, just haven't put it back on yet as I left them off incase I'd needed bumper off to solder indicator loom (without realising it's easy enough to access with headlights out)

will be attaching the bumper on with all 300 mounting points before it's on the road :D

speaking of which, I need to do some research on fitting a fmic and retaining the active spoiler, gte plans are go haha!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twntrbo03'
yeah got one thanks :D it's in the boot, just haven't put it back on yet as I left them off incase I'd needed bumper off to solder indicator loom (without realising it's easy enough to access with headlights out)

will be attaching the bumper on with all 300 mounting points before it's on the road :D

speaking of which, I need to do some research on fitting a fmic and retaining the active spoiler, gte plans are go haha!

Great looking car man! I know it is difficult to retain the active spoiler and add a fmic, but I'm sure it can be done. If you decide to sell the active spoiler setup, let me know and I'll buy it off of you!!

I love it so I doubt I'll be selling. Will prob have fmic end tanks adjusted to take the pipes away from the lip motor

Drove the car tonight. Speedo is dead but odometer counts as normal on the trip computer so I'll need to check my dash board clocks actually work. All I'd done was cut out the speed converter and join up the original loom back together with correct colours behind the odometer.

I'll work it out when I have spare time.

The auto box is smooth but I think it'll have to go asap. It's just not for me

bought some of these:

image55 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

the w58 didn't sell and it's probably for the best, it makes the manual swap easier for now,

prop and mount etc all bolt straight up, saves spending hours fabricating stuff

i can buy a 6 speed of some sort in the future

loads of time to worry about strong gearboxes, don't even have a proper vvti 2jz gte yet

bought a new exedy cluch for doing the swap too, also ordered a new rear crank seal from toyota

my rear sticks arrived from toyota, came with all fixings too which was cool

image53 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

today i assembled the clutch pedal, using proper grease on all bushings and rods that pivot/move

i'd collected all the little parts from toyota over the past while, followed a list from online showing which parts to order and i was rather pleased today to find out that i wasn't missing anything

image52 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new stainless steel backbox arrived, i've also got a load of 3" stainless steel pipe so i'll get a new exhaust system made

image54 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

]

so i whipped off the autbox on friday eve,

also done the rear main seal with a genuine Toyota one

the starter is out too as it's being replaced

image56 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image57 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new exedy organic clutch disc arrived in time for putting the box back in

image58 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so that's the new pilot bearing in, the new toyota rear main seal, used flywheel, arp bolts (i think they were arp), new exedy organic clutch disc and a few hundred mile old pressure plate on

image61 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bearing and fork done, put some grease on the bearing shaft and input spline too

image59 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

for now i've trimmed the autobox tunnel open to allow the remote shifter to sit correctly without rubbing the body, i do have the manual tunnell to fit and should have had it done at the weekend

however i just didn't have the time/space available to strip the interior out and move the carpet for welding etc, it'll be done when i do a gte swap and the engine/box are out compeltely

prop is on and box filled up with new oil

image60 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

now for the crap part, there's a bolt at the top of the clutch pedal assembly to support it from the higher part of the car's bulkhead behind the clocks

it's not a bad job, just a bit awkward, pop out the rubber bung, drill from the inside of the car and use the two holes as guides imprinted from the factory on the first skin of bulkhead

then hang the clutch pedal from the top, line up the holes and slide in the clutch master cylinder

adjust pedal height, then adjust clutch master cylinder so it has no tension on it when the pedal is not engaged, basically so you don't wear out the clutch without it releasing fully

image62 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i'd made the clutch pipe using copper line with flared ends and nuts for now, it'll be replaced with a braided one this was to make sure it all works, it goes down into the rubber hose on the w58 slave cylinder

ignore the gear stick please, it's just a spare from an old drifty s14 i had, nothing to do with the supra, it was just thrown on there as temp

the manual surround also isn't correctly fitted in the pic

image63 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also joined up the two big black wires on autobox inhibitor switch loom plug to let the car start

apart from that, after a bleed with new dot 4 fluid, the clutch works and it's awesome to have a manual mkiv :D

insuring it in the next few weeks, will make an exhaust first then it's ready for the summer!

skirts to fit also!!!

image65 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so there's a few things left to do

tidy up trans tunnel and get rubber surround for gear stick beneath manual plastic pannel,

cut rubber straight for brake pedal,

fit new gear knob,

try find oem wind deflectors and have the windows tinted

buy hid's and led front sidelights, also wire up sidelights down in the facelift indicators,

fit side skirts,

make a cat back exhaust

my mate who's done all the fabrication work on my 2jz s14 silvia came over on friday eve and we made up an exhaust system for the supra,

i had bought some 3" stainless steel pipe, a 6" backbox with 4" tip, the silencer box and spare bits came from my spares pile

didn't get too many pics but that was the begining, a 2 bolt 3" flange, straight pipe and a silencer inline

image66 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

tacked on more pipe heading up towards the backbox

image67 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

all welds were stainless tig

image68 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

sounds awesome for an n/a

not raspy or tinny, it still has all the cat's in too because i don't see the point removing them on the n/a when i plan to turbo in the future anyway

this exaust is also suitable for a gte engine :D

image69 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image70 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got a proper gearknob haha

image71 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

car got a really good detail session this weekend with my mate scotty

image72 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

put on a new aux belt also, need to check the timing belt condition and find out if i need to replace

image73 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so here's a video of the car being cleaned, just had my phone on time lapse throughout the day however it munched my battery and died so i missed quite alot

car is pretty much immaculate now, it was already good after the paint job but now it's imense, it's like a red mirror

image74 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image75 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so, new wheels! 18x8.5 and 18x10, xxr's

they'll do the job for now until i figure out what i'm actually doing, personally i'm happy enough to keep them on the car if they fit ok as i'd rather put thousands into an engine bay than thousands into 'stance'

image76 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

they need tyres so i'm looking at 235/35/18 and 255/35/18 for the rear in federal 595 RSR