The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

It's been a while since I updated this thread as the car has been parked up during the winter.

When I took the car for it's mot it started smoking badly from the exhaust. After talking with my mechanic we suspected the turbo seals needed replaced, so i called the guys at Midland Turbo and they agreed, so the turbos were removed to be sent away.

Midland Turbo collected the turbos and stripped them down once they arrived. After calling me to discuss the work scope they fitted new seals and bearings, balanced and built them back up. They arrived back with me 5 days after they were collected which i was really impressed with.

They look brand new! All the hardware was also replaced which was a nice touch. I picked up an oem turbo gasket set to fit as well.

It took a full day to refit everything, for some reason things didn't want to back together easily! We got there eventually though, also changed the oil and coolant.

After a hundred mile test drive over the weekend all is well, ready for the season to start. I spent today giving the engine bay a good clean and polish.

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Looks tidy bud :) bring on the summer

Cheers buddy, hopefully get a catch up over the summer!

Isn't it a big assle to change the turbos while letting the engine in the car ????

I personnaly took the engine out , it looked impossible for me to remove the turbos inside the car !?

You need a lift to do it, but it is perfectly possible, if a little tricky. It is a much much bigger job to remove the engine to do it.

Another couple of jobs done on the car this week. I noticed the passenger side rear tyre was soft and eventually found a screw that had punctured the tread. It should have been repairable but the inside shoulder was showing signs of starting to crack from running soft so new tyre it was.

The new exhaust wasn't sitting perfectly as it the diffuset bracket was in the way. I removed it and modified it to sit 50mm further over to give clearance, worked out well and the exhaust is now sitting as it should. Just waiting on new rubbers for the hanger.

• 1 month later...

It's been quite an exciting couple of weeks for me recently, I have managed to get myself a garage! It's a pretty big deal for me as I have been looking for 3 years!

It is walking distance from my house and in a gated yard with cctv. There is room enough for the car and to have work benches and enough space to move around, perfect.

My first job was going to be painting the boot floor to tidy it up, but as i was taking the lights off i decided to take the rear bumper off as well.

The rear crash bar is a state, unsure what I will do but thinking of replacing it. There was some rust showing in places and the rear of the car looked a state so I spent a few days prepping then painting the rear of the car.

Looks awesome now. I love the underneath looking all mint. Good job.

Get the bar blasted. I took one end off so I could blast inside. One side of me slightly longer and harder to get into. Most tidy right up and paint nicely.

Do you indicators flash on with your side light staying on?

How does that look? I have the same heckler units. Haven't installed them yet. Was going to have my side light turn off when indicating.

Thanks mate. That is a good idea about blasting the inside of the bar, no point to have it all nice outside and rotting inside!

The indicators flash all orange when indicating, the mot tester got a bit shitty with me about the leds not being seperate for the sidelight/indicator, some new legislation apparently. I have found some good photos from when installed, hope they are helpfull.

Great workmanship, love the way she looks at the rear

Good work mate, I had to do the same with mine but got mark to knock them up. The shine auto brackets are rubbish anyway so a good upgrade :thumbs:

Car looks awesome as always

Thanks guys!

• 5 weeks later...

I have been quite busy over the past week or so getting a lot of jobs done on the car.

I managed to source some replacement centre caps for my wheels from Japan, unfortunately my specific ones are discontinued so got the closest match i could. They took 3 months to arrive! The fit isn't the same but managed to get them on, an improvement over the old tatty ones.

I also bought a replacement rear crash bar as mine was too corroded for me to clean up. The new one was much better but not perfect so i removed all rust and treated it with rust converter before priming and painting. Rear end of the car is much better now.

Whilst working at the back end i gave the boot floor some attention as well, removing some of the messy seam sealer and giving a quick coat of black before adding some sound deadening, hopefully reduces the exhaust drone a bit whilst motorway cruising.

Whilst on the Applecross trip a couple of years ago my diffuser was bottoming out and scraping the road during spirited driving, so I decided to make some skid plates to prevent any further damge. Just some 1.5mm aluminium plate and pop rivets, turned out quite well.

I also ordered a carbon exhaust shroud from Pro Spec Imports. I have to say the fitment is not great, which is annoying. I fitted it with double sided tape, but it started to spring out so I removed it and re-fitted it. If it isn't any better I won't put it back on when the bumper gets painted.

I ordered a bunch of oem parts from the US that should arrive Monday or Tuesday, but the order was only part shipped due to avaiability so we will see what arrives :)

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to invest in a dual action polisher as the paint on my is getting in to a sorry state. The car will be getting resprayed soon, but to keep it looking as respectable as possible in the meantime i have been multi stage machine polishing the panels.

I have never attempted this before but after a lot of research i gave it a go and it turned out pretty well! I used a Dodo Juice Buff Daddy DA polisher with varying textures of foam pads with Poor Boys polishing compounds. It took an age but reults were worth it.

I also managed to fit the exhaust shroud where i was happy with it, I quite like it now.

• 1 month later...

It has been a busy couple of weeks to say the least for me with the car.

I attended the Scottish Car Show, my one and only show this year. Whilst parking in the indoor hall the car sprung a coolant leak and started dumping the system over the floor! Highly embarrasing but not fatal. I filled the system and got home ok. It was coming from the leak port on the water pump so I suspect a seal has gone.

A couple of months ago I agreed to buy my single turbo kit back! I am in a better position to build the car properly now so it's full steam ahead.

First step was to strip the front end and pull the engine. My mechanic wasn't able to take the job on as he was is too busy so I bought a crane and a stand and tackled it myself, which i am enjoying greatly.

My philosophy for the build is anything that isn't perfect will be refurbished or replaced.

I found a local media blaster and got my intake manifold and runners cleaned up, done in an afternoon for £38, ideal. I think there will be lots of things having the same treatment.

Anyway, on to the fun part. I ordered (another) gasket kit from tcb parts, along with some new exhaust manifold nuts from Mr. T and got the Whifbitz manifold mounted, which was not straight forward as it should have been. The lower wastegate port is really close to the runner and I couldn't get the V band clamp on for the gate. I had to remove the wrap and lever it away. Also the lower nuts are close to the runners so they had to go on first by lifting the manifold at an angle. No matter though as it's on now and looks awesome!

Next up was mounting the turbo, downpipe, screamer and making up the oil feed.

I was concerned the top wastegate would be in the way of the downpipe but it clears ok.

I received a screamer with the manifold when i bought it, and it is pretty mad but I love it. I will make the lower on to follow it.

The whole setup looks totally amazing.

I also removed the cam covers for a wet sand and polish, also replaced the nuts, bolts and washer grommets for new. The same goes for the intake runners.

Nice looking setup, digging the screamer pipe. What turbo is it?

It's an HKS T04 Mike, I had it rebuilt with a billet compressor wheel to help it spool a bit quicker. We'll see how it does when it goes on the Dyno!