The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

Now that I am back from work I can crack on with the engine. I Made a puller for the crank pulley and sprocket whilst away, and also ordered the Toyota crank lock up tool to help with getting the crank pulley bolt undone. I managed to get it with an 8 foot pipe on a breaker bar, it was frigging tight!

I also got a replacement diff! An A02B to replace my A01B that is hideous ratio wise with the V161! Shipping from Sweden was very expensive though.

I couldn't leave the scabby sump pans the way they were, so i removed them to give a good clean and paint, then installed with new hardware.

I also gave the engine mounts a freshen up at the same time.

I ordered new coil pack brackets from Toyota, and refreshed the three assemblies so they were nice and clean, also checked the spark plugs whilst at it.

Now with the front of the engine disassembled i replaced the crank seal, it had pushed out a good 4mm from flush and was weeping. I am waiting for a new water pump and timing belt tensioner from TCB so once they arrive I can start properly assembling the engine again.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of progress this week on the engine, been putting a lot of hours in to it! I have been concentrating on trying to make things as clean and clutter free as possible.

First off I removed the coolant ports from IACV, as I won't be running any hoses from the hard line that wraps round the block. I also modified the throttle cable bracket as I don't have crusise control so I chopped off that part to make it slimmer.

The new turbo is oil cooled, so I don't need any coolant line for that either. I decided to modify the hard pipe to get rid of all unnecessary ports by welding them up. I also noticed that the heater outlet was close to the downpipe so i moved it round for clearance and further away from the heat.

Before cleaning and painting the oil dipstick tube and bracket i got rid of the vacuum hardlines attached to it as they won't be used either.

Whilst awaiting the water pump arriving I cleaned and painted the PAS pump and thermostat housing, in the kitchen sink obviously haha.

With the new water pump and tensioner arrived I could start getting the front of the engine built back up.

The plan for next week is to get the top water neck ports welded up and polished, refurb the throttle body and get that fitted and make up the oil drain line from the turbo :)

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

As the new turbo is oil cooled the ports on the water neck are no longer necessary, so they needed to be closed off. I decided to weld them up to eliminate any risk of leaks in the future. The old nipples were removed, then the holes welded up before sanding smooth and polishing.

I accidentally threw out the water bypass pipe with the old water pump so got a new one from Toyota and fitted with new seals.

I also managed to get the oil drain hose for the turbo made up. I had bought an extended oil drain flange from Whifbitz but it wouldn't work with my setup so ended up using the old one. I also applied heat shielding where possible to the hoses on the turbo side of the engine.

I picked up a link 4 bar map sensor and Link canbus wideband from my mechanic who is a link dealer. I mounted the map sensor on the back of the plenum to try and free some space around the fuel rail area, i think it is a neat setup.

A few months ago I noticed I had blown a hole in the throttle body, where there is filler material to blank the unused ports (for cruise control gubbins?). I decided to weld them up as I really don't want any boost leaks, which proved to be very tricky. The metal is contaminated with the filler material so took for ever to fill, but got there in the end. I polished the throttle body and got it fitted after a good clean, and also replaced a lot of the hardware for the throttle assembly and adjusted the stops.

I ordered a new alternator (again from TCB) and a new starter motor, and got those fitted. I also picked up a really good condition PAS lines from Sheefa and got those mounted too.

Everything is coming together nicely, i have to stop for a few weeks and get back to work but next month I am hoping to get the engine back in the car!

What i have left to do is basically the fuel system and accessories. I will be going with a complete radium engineering fuel system (rail, filter, lines, fpd, fpr). Also new AC compressor, PHR black edition pulleys and plug cover, and some more sensors to sort.

This is how it stands at the moment, pretty pleased with progress :)

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing on with the engine this week, I ordered a set of PHR black edition pulleys from Lee at SRD. These look awesome and weigh very little, expensive though!

I fitted these and cleaned up the HKS fine tune belt as it is only 18 months old.

I ordered new Denso AC parts from the states, including compressor, filter drier, seals and condensor. Unfortunately the condensor is lost in the post just now but I did manage to get the new compressor installed. I had to change over the manifold from the old one, but i forgot to take any pictures.

The stock off cream coloured viscous fan has always annoyed me as it looks ugly in the bay, but I don't want to go electric fans. I decided to paint the fan matt black, which looks really well, hopefully it doesn't start to flake off as i have read is prone to happen!

I am going to run an oil pressure sensor for the ECU as well as the stock pressure switch, but I didn't want to run an oil sandwich plate as they tend to leak. I ordered the Lexus oil union bolt which has the port tapped in the head for the sensor.

I have been working on the engine harness as well, making repairs where necessary (lots of them) and generally making it prettier, as well as better protected. I have some new plugs to splice in/replace for the injectors and extra sensors, but hopefully have it installed on the engine again later this week.

Lastly I have completely stripped the engine bay ready for paint, which is pretty terrifying for me haha! Hopefully i don't forget where everything goes back. Just the front wings to come off, and the brake booster then it is ready for respray. Unfortunately the local body shops are not in a hurry for this kind of work so i am anticipating some delays.

I am also thinking about tucking the passenger side loom like I did the driver side.

Stunning work mate. :thumbs:

Just read the entire thread, got to say your attention to detail and perseverance in the face of adversity is commendable.

The engine build is a work of art. :cool:

Look forward to seeing more updates and getting inspiration for mine. :)

Top work.

Cheers,

Pete

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I have updated this thread, so I will split this in to a few posts as there has been a lot going on!

First off, with the engine bay completely stripped it was the ideal time to get it resprayed. There was some rust repair to do on the radiator support first. Really happy with how it turned out!

Whilst the car was away getting painted, I was getting on with sorting out the drivetrain.

The V161 came with a short shifter fitted which made shifts terrible! I went a bit overboard and ordered new parts for the entire shifter assembly, the difference is night and day!

Next up was the replacement diff, Which was opened up, inspected, cleaned, painted and resealed. It feels great, nice and tight and smooth.

I have had a spare rear subframe knocking about for a year or two now, so I finally got my finger out and had it blasted and powdercoated. The engineering firm had a hard time getting the old bushes out so didn't charge me as it took longer than expected! I had ordered a full set of rear arms apart from the uppers, new droplinks, nuts, bolts and adjusting washers.

With the old subframe out the car (will get to that in a minute) the poly bushes for the front mounts and diff were transferred over. I got new subframe rear mounts as the old ones were really rusty, as well as new bolts and hardware.

Also transferred the driveshafts and hubs.

It was the plan after the engine bay was painted to restore the underside of the car. Clean up all rust and underseal etc. When I removed the sideskirts I realised it would be much more involved than that (the big aero skirts cover a lot of the sills).

The first warning sign was a bubble in the paint on the outer sill, which when poked with a finger turned in to a hole...

Basically, the inner and outer sills were rotten. We decided it absolutely had to be fixed properly, so that meant cutting the sills out and replacing them with new ones which were fabricated by my mechanic.

Que a LOT of pictures, they tell the story better than words, I will start with the rusty shots.

Needless to say I was completely horrified at the state of the sills, and more than a little embaressed. Although, the damage was done in the 20 years prior to my ownership. So we will swiftly move on, and show the story of the Supra becoming rust free and good as new underneath!

With the outer sills cut away, we could see exactly what we were dealing with, which was rusting from inside the cavities basically. The lower sills were then also cut out and the gussets removed. Then followed many hours of labour with a grinder, wire wheel and belt sander to clean and prepare the metal and get rid of 100% of any sign of rust. There were also a couple spots on the rear arches that needed repaired. After cleaning, the metal was treated for rust.

After that it was on with fabrication, I am very fortunate my mechanic is very skilled at this type of work!

With the fabrication work complete, the car was then masked. The untreated metal was primed and the cavities filled with clear Waxoyl. The entire underside was then coated with Upol Raptor, which I am really pleased with.

That pretty much brings us up to date. It has been quite a stressfull few weeks, and very expensive due to the labour intensive nature of the job, which has wiped out my respray budget. Realistically setting me back 6 months for the car being back on the road. I am looking at this time next year to aim to be done.

Next steps are the rear subframe to be reinstalled, along with the fuel tank, then bring he car home to start bolting stuff back in the engine bay and dropping the motor back in! Speaking of which, i have been slowly working on that too :)

Great work, love this thread, well done and thanks. Makes me nervous though as mines about to go into the body shop and really unsure as to what we'll find as I have not put the hours and money in to mine that you have but at least I now have a heads up approach :). Keep the updates coming and great work :thumbs:

Cheers folks, it is frustrating having to spend so much time and money to sort it out, but i think if it was left another couple of years the shell would have been gone.

At least it is all sorted now and not have to worry about it anymore. My car will never be out in the rain again haha.