The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

Hi all,

I have decided to start a build thread for my Supra. I have always loved these cars and knew it would just be a matter of time before I owned one, and in April this year I finally took the leap!

The timing of my purchase wasn’t the best, as we all know the prices are much steeper than they were a few years ago! I couldn’t stretch my budget for a TT6 and I didn’t want an auto. As luck would have it I came across this n/a-TT manual located in Northern Ireland.

As soon as I saw the advert with this picture I knew I was going to view it, so after an RAC vehicle check I flew over to NI with the intention of bringing him home on the ferry, which I did!

The car has been owned by forum members before, Rob Mitchell and Admiral Donuts. It already had a pretty good spec:

Engine

Whifbitz 3” fully de-catted exhaust

Turbo Technics twin hybrid turbos (J spec)

SRD 3” FMIC

Blitz BOV

HKS FCD

HKS EVC-S boost controller

Warlbro 255 Fuel pump

SRD cooling plate

Polished cam covers, boost pipes and intake manifold

Drivetrain

W58 gearbox

Stage 4 Competition Clutch,

AO1B Torsen diff

Suspension

BC racing coilovers

Brakes

K-Sport big brake conversion:

380mm floating front discs with 8 pot calipers , 356mm rear discs with 4 pot calipers,

Wheels

Trafficstar by Riverside RTS split rims, 19x9.5 (front), 19x11 (rear)

Interior

Full re-trim in black with orange (from the Gold Rush)

Momo steering wheel

Blue dash light conversion

Exterior

Re-spray in Toyota dark grey pearl

Facelift headlights

Facelift rear lights

Tinted Indicators

Rear wiper delete

The car was on the Dyno last year at Devil Developments and made [email protected] bar

Here are a couple shots of the car once I got it home

The first thing I did was get it in for a full service at Planet Performance near Glasgow. All fluids and filters changed and a thorough going over.

I am very happy with the car, it is very quick and turns heads wherever it goes. However, I also have big plans for it; the end goal being a widebody ridox single with a T56 tremec. I know it is easier to type that than to actually do it (and cheaper!) but I am committed to spending the time and effort. I don’t plan on owning another Supra, so this one will get the works.

I think that will do for the first post!

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Japfest just around the corner I didn’t have time to do much with the car, but I did manage to do a bit in the interior. I chose a Pioneer AVH270X to replace the old head unit for some Bluetooth, ipod connection and all that good stuff. I also removed a lot of unnecessary wiring from behind the dash panel.

The handbrake and gearknob were looking tired and worn, so I replaced them and the gaiters with Momo parts (quark gearknob and gaiter, pitsop handbrake). I mounted the handbrake handle over the top of the old one as it is quite a bit chunkier. I also tested refurbishing the gear surround panel, it turned out quite well. God damn the original rubberised finish!

Then it was off down to Silverstone for Japfest. This was my first JDM car show and I was on a stand with a local club. We went down in a 30 strong convoy from Carlisle which was great fun, especially on the M6 toll as you can imagine! I also blagged some track time from a friend who couldn’t attend. I didn’t push the car at all really as I was still getting used to the power and was pretty scared of heaping it (as some others in the session did) because the track was oily from the classic cars the previous day.

One thing I noticed when inspecting the car when viewing it was that there was a bad repair job on the 2nd de-cat pipe, which was leaking exhaust gasses. I ordered a replacement from Tim at TB developments and was really pleased with it, great quality! I didn’t quite realise how much of a feth up the guy had made trying to repair the old one but was glad to get it off the car!

With the new exhaust fitted the sound of the car changed quite dramatically which I wasn’t expecting. The old pipe was 2.5", the new one 3", it’s now much deeper and sounds awesome (and loud as hell with the whifbitz rear section).

The hard cornering at Silverstone had taken it’s toll on the door speakers, which were poorly mounted to begin with, so the next job was to replace them and mount them properly. I decided to dynamat the door and quarter panels to try and get a better sound quality. I used the template on this forum to make the mounting brackets for the door speakers.

With the MOT coming up I wanted to sort out some niggles with the car. The fuel tank protector I could tell was in bad condition, so my plan was to whip it off to repair and paint it. I wasn’t quite expecting it to be completely destroyed! I will have to see Keron next month when I am down that way for a decent one. Also painted the rear fog light with glass paint for the MOT, which the car sailed through with no advisories. Nice one!

Cumbria Auto Show was the first show I attended with my car club (Border Sports & Performance), it was a successful day with winning the best club stand, my friend’s Lambo Huracan voted best car and my Supra awarded a highly commended medal, which took me by surprise as I don’t think it’s anywhere near a show car yet! I also got a couple shots with the Lambo, it makes the supra look almost ordinary!

I ordered a TRD oil cap from Whifbitz and picked up a Mine’s strut brace from a fellow member who managed to get it posted to me before my local show (Dumfries). I also added a Zillalife decal to the rear quarter, not everyone’s cup of tea, but you can never go wrong with skulls in my book.

I stupidly managed to crack the windscreen by catching the rear view mirror climbing over the over the centre console! So new facelift glass was ordered and installed.

Car looks lovely mate really tidy :) great plans for it too :thumbs: before going single though you'll need a V160/V161 box for it as the W58 is pretty maxed out on what our running atm. Looking forward to see the progress you got a great car to start with :thumbs:

Thanks very much mate. Yeah I 100% agree about the gearbox, I won't be putting any more power in the car until it's upgraded. I have spoken to Joel Grannas about the Tremec T56 Magnum conversion, it makes more sense to me than paying an arm and a leg for a used V160. It can hold 700ft/lb and the AO1B is perfect ratio wise. The only snag is with the pound weak it is very expensive now.

By the way your car is stunning man, love it!

My plan was always to put carbon backed recliners in the car, and i had my eye on a pair of Bride Low Max. The problem with Brides for me is that every other Civic you see is fitted with “replicas”, or fakes as i see it. The other thing is the scene tax, £3.5k for a pair + subframes is steep.

A friend told me about a company in the states called Status Racing, who are stocked in the UK by 6two1.com. I emailed Adam from 6two1 and got a great deal on a pair of carbon backed Spa recliners.

These seats are amazing, light as a feather and look awesome. I was a little concerned about the width at the shoulder bolsters as they are much wider than oem seats, but they fit snugly. I had to order the mounting brackets from the states, so once these arrive I can get them properly installed.

Nice log, did wonder who bought this supra in the end. How are you finding the stage 4 clutch for normal driving?

Thanks mate. The stage 4 is a bit of a pig to drive to be honest, but you get used to it after a while. The pedal is very heavy, and there is little to no slip so if you try and baby it you get judders. Give it a bit of revs when pulling away and it's fine enough.

Really looking forward to following this. Have a feeling I'll be going down a similar route in the years to come.

Amazed the W58 is holding that power though. That paint job looks the nuts too.

Cheers man. I think the W58 is stronger than people think, I have not had a problem with it so far. Although i never hard launch it or abuse it just to be safe

• 2 weeks later...

I have been gathering up parts over the autumn for doing a lot of work on the car over the winter. First of all was a Ridox front end which I picked up from forum member Coombesy. I am not worried about not having the carbon lip as I will be fitting a carbon splitter.

Next was a pair of OEM plastic skirts I picked up from Drgray on here. I bought these before I decided to go full Ridox, so will probably fit them in the meantime. He took me a run in his R33 GT-R, the power delivery is way different from a BPU Supra, much smoother and higher up the rev range.

I picked up a pair of OEM spats, (again before the Ridox) but didn’t realise they were facelift! I sold these to Coombesy after a bus hit his Supra! Nightmare.

I knew my suspension and subframe were in need of an overhaul, the car’s handling feels lazy in my opinion, and it is corroded underneath. As luck would have it Edd Andrews was breaking his immaculate Soarer and agreed to sell me his rebuilt subframes, complete with poly bushes, new control arms, new sway bars, refurbed steering rack and drive shafts. He wasn’t keen on posting so I hired a van and drove the 900 mile round trip to pick them up! Really chuffed with them and saves me a load of work.

I headed up to Kircaldy to speak to a company about getting my wheels diamond cut again as the clear coat is a bit tarnished and water has got in behind it. Whilst I was up there I went to Autotint (which is owned by Fimmo on here) to get my rear and quarter windows tinted.

Seats look great.

Do they sit lower than the oem versions?

They appear to provide a easier entry than brides too, what do you think?

;)

Hi mate, they actually sit slightly higher than the oem seats, but this is due to the mounting brackets i used. I sat in a Bride Low Max (Stradia I think) last week, and they grip you harder around the ribs, the status seats are more open on the top half but are tight to your thighs. Entry is pretty decent.

• 4 weeks later...

The car has been at the garage for the past couple of weeks getting the subframes replaced. I went down for a visit today to check out the progress, and it’s going well. Unfortunately there were some bolts seized that needed to be cut, so I am just waiting for replacements from Toyota, which is holding things up at the moment. Also, the ABS sensors were seized in the old hubs, so I am trying to source some used ones as they are stupidly expensive from Mr. T!

Whilst the car is up on the lift I took the opportunity to inspect the underside, I was pleasantly surprised, it’s in decent nick for being over 20 years old!

Meanwhile my parts emporium is growing. I ordered a set of custom mats from Dane Callaway, they took an age to arrive but the quality is excellent. Also got a Tanabe rear brace and Mishimoto lug nuts. I have a half cage on order from Jamie Fosta, and Takata 4 point harnesses ready to go in. Lastly I have an RMM V2 lip getting fitted while the car is in the garage. I decided to stay with a more stockish look for now.