The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam's Supra Build

Cam27

When I bought the car I noticed the weatherstrips along the top of the door were damaged on both sides, split vertically above the handle. When I had the windscreen replaced the guy said it would likely have been caused by someone trying to break in to the car! So I fitted replacements which are much better. If anyone has done this job, you will know what a nightmare the screws are to remove, took forever! Also picked up a TRD fuel filler cap:d

I had to wait a while longer to sort my cage out as my brother-in-law who was doing the fabrication was off on paternity, but i managed to pester him enough we got it done last weekend. The harness bar was itself was pretty easy, lining up the angles of the back legs was a nightmare, took about 4 attempts but got there in the end. I brought it in a bit before the downward bend to keep it off the rear speaker panels but it actually wasn't really necessary. Really happy how it turned out.

After waiting so long to finally get it fitted I didn't want to have to wait for it to get sent for powder coating, so painted it myself, turned out well but scratched f*ck out of it putting it in (idiot) so I will get it powder coated eventually.

Had a go at re-covering the rear speaker panels in suede. The first one went well, although the fabric was maybe a bit thin and the spray adhesive seeped through in spots. The 2nd panel was actually broken and had been rivetted together under the old covering, which had came loose, and was overall just not good. I will get a new pair i think, which is annoying as I had made good cuts for the cage legs.

Went up to meet Westy yesterday to give him some parts he bought, really nice guy. He grabbed a good shot of the car even in the usual Scottish weather :D

Edited by Cam27 (see edit history)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small update before I head abroad with work for a bit. Toyota Carlisle are having a retro Toyota event on the 2nd of April, where they clear the showroom of the new cars and fill it with classic Toyotas, and my Supra has been chosen for a spot in the showroom! So if you live up north it should be a good day to come along to.

Some small progress on the car as well. My SRD cooling plate was painted dark grey to match the body, but it was chipped and scabby looking. I ordered some touch up paint to sort some stone chips, and got a rattle can at the same time, so resprayed the cooling plate. I think it was chipped because there was no primer underneath for the paint to grip to.

I also managed to die the orange piping on the back seats to black. I think it looks much better, can't beat black on black.

On a less happy note, my front crank seal is weeping. It is not serious at the moment, the oil level is not dropping and there is nothing under the car, but it definitely needs changed. I am pretty sure the stage 4 clutch is a factor in this, i have heard they can cause crank walk.

I think it is time to pull the engine out for a refresh, it's done about 80k now i think, so new stem seals, gaskets etc would be a smart move i think.

When I bought the car I noticed the weatherstrips along the top of the door were damaged on both sides, split vertically above the handle. When I had the windscreen replaced the guy said it would likely have been caused by someone trying to break in to the car! So I fitted replacements which are much better. If anyone has done this job, you will know what a nightmare the screws are to remove, took forever! Also picked up a TRD fuel filler cap:d

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170221_093234_zpsbo6gmapt.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170228_174130_zpsuqrbh1vk.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170303_164154_zpsmioqf8jw.jpg

I had to wait a while longer to sort my cage out as my brother-in-law who was doing the fabrication was off on paternity, but i managed to pester him enough we got it done last weekend. The harness bar was itself was pretty easy, lining up the angles of the back legs was a nightmare, took about 4 attempts but got there in the end. I brought it in a bit before the downward bend to keep it off the rear speaker panels but it actually wasn't really necessary. Really happy how it turned out.

After waiting so long to finally get it fitted I didn't want to have to wait for it to get sent for powder coating, so painted it myself, turned out well but scratched f*ck out of it putting it in (idiot) so I will get it powder coated eventually.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170225_224504_zpsrfeqmg5s.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170225_224825_zpswuhg8jvc.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170225_191301_zpspuaedgim.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170227_150807_zpsq7ybcgr3.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170228_175440_zpsxbvxrgmq.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170228_175234_zpsw9lzhqdq.jpg

Had a go at re-covering the rear speaker panels in suede. The first one went well, although the fabric was maybe a bit thin and the spray adhesive seeped through in spots. The 2nd panel was actually broken and had been rivetted together under the old covering, which had came loose, and was overall just not good. I will get a new pair i think, which is annoying as I had made good cuts for the cage legs.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170301_203454_zpshoehkkun.jpg

Went up to meet Westy yesterday to give him some parts he bought, really nice guy. He grabbed a good shot of the car even in the usual Scottish weather :D

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170302_234248_zpstqc69oyv.jpg

Love those wheels always have, nice progress :)

• 4 weeks later...

Today I kicked off my show season with Toyota Carlisle's Toyota Retro Day. My friend organised the event, and my Supra got a prime spot in the showroom. There was a cracking selection of classics, dominated by Celica GT4s. Only other mkiv was Ben Newell's V8 turbo. The weather was awesome, which always helps make a great day. Anyway, thought I'd share some pictures, as it's the first time my car has been 100% back together this year!

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on plans and progress with the car. I ordered up a whole bunch of parts to make a catch tank breather system, pretty similar to the Whifbitz stage 3, except using -10AN braided hoses instead of -12AN. Unfortunately the tank i bought is too big (or too deep to be precise). No big deal though, i will buy a stage 1 tank and weld on the -10AN bosses, the same way as the cam covers. Also got some fancy hose seperators to keep it all neat and tidy.

I am trying to clean up my engine bay a bit, so I bought a set of chrome hard vac lines from Westy to replace my old ones which are getting a bit rusty. Whilst I am at it I thought i would replace all the vac hoses. I ordered up some Gates reinforced rubber lines, and although they would do the job well they are really ugly! Instead of using them i will order some reinforced silicone instead.

I am also in the process of writing a shopping list for shiny bits from Whifbitz:d So far it includes a polished top rad pipe, billet rad clamps, heater hoses, an ARP carbon cooling plate and a carbon coil pack cover!

I have also chose a powered sub for the car, as I like my metal but have absolutely zero bottom end, especially with the exhaust drone from the car haha! I picked this Pioneer unit which is 2 subs and an amp built in to a slim case, and comes with a remote level control i will mount in the centre console. It is pretty hefty but should fit perfectly in the Supra's boot behind my rear brace. Apparently it's designed for to be able to have luggage chucked on top of it (not that there is any room for that!). Anyway, it has good reviews so looking forward to getting it installed.

I got some Meguiar's wax to give the car a good going over, (I've never actually used wax before haha) and was really impressed, came up a treat! I got a clay bar kit as well but ran out of time to use it before I had to go back to sea. It was actually meant for detailing the car before Japfest, but unfortunately with work commitments I am not going to make it, which i am gutted about.

The last update I have is the most exciting one (although no pictures). I have been in email contact with Joel Grannas regarding his Tremec T56 Magnum kit for a while now, and recently he has brought out some new products for it which suit me perfectly; mainly a Clutchmasters kevlar single plate clutch that uses the W58 flywheel and a one-piece propshaft for the A01B. I have an invoice for my package and all going to plan will order it next month! Joel even offered a $500 discount off the package to offset the very expensive shipping, great service. I can't wait to replace the gearbox as it is the weak link of my car.

• 3 weeks later...

Today i took the car for a good run out after being away most of the past two months. It was great weather and nice to enjoy the car!

I had a parts delivery of nice shiny bitz from Whifbitz waiting so i got straight in to fitting them. Carbon coilpack cover, carbon slam panel, Whifbitz billett rad clamps and Whifbitz top rad pipe.

I also got some Whifbitz heater hoses and a stage one catch tank to replace the one i bought that was too big. I will weld on the -10an fittings and effectively make it a stage 3. I have hit another snag that the wiring loom runs where the catch tank needs to sit! So i will have to move it, inside the wing maybe.

I also picked up a HKS T04R turbo last week:D It is getting inspected at Midland turbo just now. So i guess I will be going single after my gearbox swap!

Decided to change my scabby looking vac lines for some polished chrome ones i picked up a while back. Makes the engine bay look much better but I didn't realise how tricky the back 4 hoses would be to get to! In the end I just removed most of the turbocharger pipework. Started to fit the Whifbitz heater hoses but by that time I called it a day. The plug for the sensor boss in the new rad pipe is leaking, so i will have to change that out. I don't know how anyone thought a straight threaded grub screw would seal!?

I headed up to Glasgow to collect some nice bits for my single conversion. Picked up a set of HKS camshafts (256/264, not too agressive), and a Whifbitz twin scroll twin wastegate manifold complete with screamer pipes, although pretty sure one of the screamer pipes wasn't meant for me, never mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Last week was my first outdoor show of the year, Elite Performance at Crooklands in Cumbria. The weather was a bit rubbish in the morning but was great in the afternoon which always makes it more enjoyable.

I decided now was the time to get the wheels refurbished as they are looking a bit tatty now. I put the car up on stands and took the wheels off rather than leave the car at the wheel place for a week, had to take the diffuser off which was a pain.

I love my wheels so i wanted them done properly, so I took them up to Kircaldy to We Restore Alloys as they have a CNC for diamond cutting.

I ordered a new set of Bridgestone Potenza for the rears (295/30 19) as the cheapos that were on the car when I bought it were a right state! The wear pattern was horrible, but should be better now the car has had an alignment. Thinking about it, it's probably to do with the tyres rubbing as well, as the shocks were on their softest setting when i bought the car, and there was some rubbing. I also found one of the front wheels had a buckle in it but was assured it was an easy fix, thankfully.

Whilst the wheels are away I am going to replace the braided hoses on the brakes with stainless Goodridge lines and replace the pads with a new set of EBC yellow stuff. They should arrive tomorrow so hopefully get that all done by the weekend when the wheels will be ready.

Some nice work there bud, I thought I was spending a fortune on mine :D

Cheers bud, I know haha, I get a bit carried away sometimes! Luckily the mrs is very patient!

Very nice mate, love the look of this Supra. Don't think I have ever seen it in the flesh before

Look forward to your single updates !

Thanks mate, that's the bummer about living up north i miss a lot of meets. I was looking forward to seeing your car at Japfest but ended up not being able to make it!

Cheers dude for sure I am can't miss that event!

/QUOTE]

Catch you there dude!

Lovely car! :)

Thanks Chris, always admired the work SRD did on yours and your dad's car.

This morning i thought i had better take the heat wrap off my manifold to check the condition of it. Pleased to find it in great condition, the heat wrap would have need replacing anyway as it was brittle and fell to bits in places taking it off. Cleaned up the flange faces with a wire brush attachment.

Finally got around to properly fitting my Whifbitz heater hoses. Thought it would be a relatively quick and easy job... think again Camshaft! The spring clip for the hose at the back the engine block was really inaccessable, a full hour and a half later it was finally off. All's well that ends well though, much happier with the look at the back of the engine bay, aside from the insulation on the bulkhead looking rubbish.

The new brake lines and pads arrived this morning, really impressed by how quick Whifbitz delivers orders, less than 48 hours the brake lines took to arrive!

I hit another snag with the lines as the flared end of the hard line wouldn't fit into the braided line! After a quick search on here this is apparently due to how tight they are torqued. I followed Chris Wilson's advice (always wise) and carefully filed it down until it fitted.

The pads look to have plenty meat left so i will leave them for the time being.

I have been steadily continuing to collect parts for my single conversion, today HKS adjustable cam gears arrived, as well as the last of the bits for the 4" intake (it is a lot bigger than i expected lol).

I was tempted to just fire the camshafts in but was advised to upgrade the valve train first, which is probably a good idea!

I went to change the front brake pads the other day, but turns out i was sent the wrong ones. It looks as though the 8 pots use 4 pads per caliper rather than 2 massive ones, so i will need to send them back to be changed. I think i am going to replace the hard lines, they are 22 years old now and they won't last forever. Preventative maintenance and all that! Also replace the C clips for the flexis, Supra ones were out of stock but the Hylux uses the same ones so that was handy.

I was meant to get my wheels back a few days ago but apparently they were causing the guys all sorts of problems (typical for me). So i gave them an extra few days (10 total) and they still weren't fully assembled when i went to collect them. The wheels have an unusal design that uses bolts and studs to hold the wheel together. So the thread holes for the studs needed tapping out after painting but they are a really unusual thread and they didn't have the correct tap! I had driven 2 and a half hours to collect them so i ended up just taking them home and i will finish them myself as i needed them back on the car before heading back offshore.

Aside from that they do look good!

I've been a bit quiet on the gearbox front, but after much thought i decided against the t56 magnum. The first reason was cost, it was going to work out £7k landed. The second reason is i have not heard of anyone else in the uk running it, and i am not keen on being the guinea pig!

I have a Gertrag 420g conversion kit from the E46 M3 on order with Gyrodrift in Kent. This uses the Sachs twin plate clutch from the M5 and a custom prop front section. It also works with the A01B's ratios, so no need to change the diff (why i decided against the V160).

So my 6 speed conversion should be getting done in July, exciting!

I went to change the front brake pads the other day, but turns out i was sent the wrong ones. It looks as though the 8 pots use 4 pads per caliper rather than 2 massive ones, so i will need to send them back to be changed. I think i am going to replace the hard lines, they are 22 years old now and they won't last forever. Preventative maintenance and all that!

My trucker buddy gave me a bottle of Great Lion metal polish, he swears by it for all the chrome on the truck and I was really impressed. Backbox came up a treat after applying it twice.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170530_085141_zpsa0mtyzm4.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170526_113405_zps1lfxa9fr.jpg

I was meant to get my wheels back a few days ago but apparently they were causing the guys all sorts of problems (typical for me). So i gave them an extra few days (10 total) and they still weren't fully assembled when i went to collect them. The wheels have an unusal design that uses bolts and studs to hold the wheel together. So the thread holes for the studs needed tapping out after painting but they are a really unusual thread and they didn't have the correct tap! I had driven 2 and a half hours to collect them so i ended up just taking them home and i will finish them myself as i needed them back on the car before heading back offshore.

Aside from that they do look good!

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170529_233430_zpsxmuxbcbd.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170530_191420_zpswhmwydes.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170530_191339_zpskit1mu3i.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170530_134736_zps3dxngpgr.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/gearsoul-supremecy/Mobile%20Uploads/20170530_134720_zpsqjxyamfw.jpg

I've been a bit quiet on the gearbox front, but after much thought i decided against the t56 magnum. The first reason was cost, it was going to work out £7k landed. The second reason is i have not heard of anyone else in the uk running it, and i am not keen on being the guinea pig!

I have a Gertrag 420g conversion kit from the E46 M3 on order with Gyrodrift in Kent. This uses the Sachs twin plate clutch from the M5 and a custom prop front section. It also works with the A01B's ratios, so no neex to change the diff (why i decided against the V160).

So my 6 speed conversion should be getting done in July, exciting!

Exciting times! I've seen some things about the speedo with the gearboxes and them running different systems to the v16* how do people get around this to get the speedo working?

Love this build be great to see this at Wroxall :)