The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi Stall torque converters - titan 3800

and1c

Stock converter used to lock up at 2200rpm for us, worked great launching as TT. But launching a single turbo with a stock converter is awful. That's the advantages of having a high stall. Although the stock torque converter with our setup works great on the road. Power delivery is alot more predictable and also more smooth. unlike it was with the 3600rpm hi stall.

What's your setup Chris? the one in your signature? I am guessing you are seeing boost at quite low RPMS then?

The 3800 stall certainly adds an element of craziness, especially on kickdown but I like it more and more each day! To be in the powerband so fast is a massive bonus. If I was daily driving it I wouldn't be anywhere near as happy though I would still prefer it vastly over the stock TC as it just bogged down from a stop eg traffic lights until it was making boost.

Hopefully it will help a lot at the 1/4 mile which is my main requirement..

• 11 months later...
The stock TC flash stalls to 2, 000 rph , I think the 3200 stall would be best suited to a street car , also with the higher stall I hear the lock up plays up, iirc its to do with motorway cruising where the TC is still slipping / not engaging 1:1 ratio so you need to manually set / switch the lock up or you will cook the box from all the extra heat .

*BUMP*

Hi,

I have been to pod quite a few times and am having trouble with getting off the line...I am looking at a 3200 stall as the car is used on the street, but no longer a daily.

It is turbonetics tnx 45/64 with a stock box (hopefully soon to be shimmed by David p) with two large coolers, running just over 500 at the crank.

The only thing that concerns me is this excessive heat most people say about crusing on the motorway (which is what I would do for a few hours to get to somewhere like pod) ... at what point or what stall does it start to start slipping when crusing at like 70-80 ish? Will a 3200 stall lock up at that point? Or if not is it better to drive with overdrive off so it is locked up?

Thanks, just trying to ignite an older thread and get some more info before I look at getting one.

Edited by Milo500 (see edit history)

*BUMP*

Hi,

I have been to pod quite a few times and am having trouble with getting off the line...I am looking at a 3200 stall as the car is used on the street, but no longer a daily.

It is turbonetics tnx 45/64 with a stock box (hopefully soon to be shimmed by David p) with two large coolers, running just over 500 at the crank.

The only thing that concerns me is this excessive heat most people say about crusing on the motorway (which is what I would do for a few hours to get to somewhere like pod) ... at what point or what stall does it start to start slipping when crusing at like 70-80 ish? Will a 3200 stall lock up at that point? Or if not is it better to drive with overdrive off so it is locked up?

Thanks, just trying to ignite an older thread and get some more info before I look at getting one.

I have 3 large tranny coolers and the only time temperatures even approach getting hot (100 degrees which isnt hot) is in heavy traffic going uphill, stop start. Its perfectly fine on the motorway, I leave overdrive on and there is no slippage noticeable over 70 although my driving style has probably adapted to the hi stall. OD off doesnt lock it , that can be done by installing a manual switch but I have never felt the need for that as it drives fine. OD off just stops it going into 4th gear, eg it remains in D. Not good for fuel or relaxing cruising.

I cant really tell the difference from stock now apart from instant boost off the line, I highly recommend the titan one.

Edited by and1c (see edit history)

I've just got one big cooler on mine, 3800 it's absolutely fine. I think you spoke to my cousin Saq at santapod. I actually own the silver supra that was there that day. I've driven it on the motorway in the heat and had no problems whatsoever and Saq's run them on his last two supras without issues.

*BUMP*

Hi,

it depends on your stall speed vs your cruise speed , ie if your stall is 3200 and your motorway speed is 70mph at 3000rpm then you are not locked up and generating extra heat , true the extra air flow through the coolers help displace the effects but its still there at any cruising speeds where you sit below you stall value . please be aware the stall speed of 3200 is vague as the torque converter is load dependable. say 4 persons in car and going up hill your stall speed maybe 3200 , but say empty car down hill your stall speed may well be 2800 this is similar to the motorway speed as there is not much actual load cruising

Yes! Depending on your setup

I've got a tnx turbonetics, med to large turbo, comes on at about 4k-4.5k ...so will 3200 make enough of a difference? As I still want to drive it comortally ok the street, and don't want it slipping too much on the motorway etc...I've allready knackered one box haha

Is anyone using a rev limiter like a bee r, or one incorporated into their standalone to get some more boost off the line? As if that works then I could go for a 3200 so it's ok on the street, but still get good boost off the line at the strip?

Edited by Milo500 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

The stalls that they are advertised with are not always 100% accurate. So 3200 stall may actually be 2800 stall, my 3800 is nearer 3500 being full lockup.

With the turbo you have I personally would go with the Titan 3800 rpm stall. But I have not driven the 3200. It works perfectly with my setup and that starts making boost at about 3k so I would suggest that would be needed on yours to stop it bogging down.

Regards your gearbox failure, I would look at getting it uprated or a Titan stage 2 box in there for max bulletproofness! Upping the line pressure of the stock box seems to be a very worthwhile and cheap mod, I think David P does that or has details on it, and also it is on Supraforums as a guide iirc

Cheers,

I have bought a pi3200 off of a guy on here, and am hopefully going to be having David p shim it etc so ut can hold some more torque than stock. The converter should lock up on the road, but wondering if it will be enough stall to make a big difference om the track...what is the stall of the stock converter?