The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1.1 to 1.2 bar, big difference?

generalunrest

Hi all, I am currently running a uk TT with 1.1 bar boost, all the work done by whiffbitz around 5 years ago, I now want to take it a little further but my budget does not run to a syvecs with 1.5 bar boost so, after talking with Paul Whiffin I have decided to go with the greddy profec, new intercooler and go up to 1.2 bar boost, my question is, will I feel a big difference in performance?

thanks in advance to anyone who has gone this route..

You can wind a uk spec out to 1.4 bar no problem on standard turbos. Dont need a syvecs for that. Just dial up your FCD and it will be fine. Ran 1.4bar on a UK spec for 5 years with absolutely no issues and no management

And why do you need a new boost controller? The boost on a UK spec wont climb on its own like on a j spec, you shud already have a boost controller if you are running 1.1bar. If you say using a restrictor ring you have been had...

It does sort of depend on the controller that's currently fitted, most will be fine for 1.2bar, although yours might have some other issue hence the replacement suggestion. That or it's up-sell that you don't strictly speaking need, tough to tell without all the relevant facts. If you're still on the stock intercooler a new one is almost certainly a great idea, I know mine is a bit crusty at this point, can't wait for the replacement unit to arrive.

This might aslo be worth a quick read: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?247195-Recommend-me-a-boost-controller

So is 1.4 bar on a UK spec really safe? My car is going in for BPU next week. Was going to set it at 1.2 bar.

You can wind a uk spec out to 1.4 bar no problem on standard turbos. Dont need a syvecs for that. Just dial up your FCD and it will be fine. Ran 1.4bar on a UK spec for 5 years with absolutely no issues and no management

/QUOTE]

Hi all, I am currently running a uk TT with 1.1 bar boost, all the work done by whiffbitz around 5 years ago, I now want to take it a little further but my budget does not run to a syvecs with 1.5 bar boost so, after talking with Paul Whiffin I have decided to go with the greddy profec, new intercooler and go up to 1.2 bar boost, my question is, will I feel a big difference in performance?

thanks in advance to anyone who has gone this route..

1.1 -1.2 with all that expenditure = hardly worth it for 15-20ish bhp gain.

1.1 > 1.4 will be noticeable.