The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTi - A discussion

Guest Terry S

You can't have the Sequential TT setup and 4-600. You may get 420 but that's about it. More than that is BS IMO. You'd be better off (when wanting reliability) all round fitting a GT35R *sized* single with a decent fuel system and programmable ECU for a reliable, fast spooling 500+hp. Wringing the neck of stock TT's is not good for long term.

As for who to do the work you're better canvassing opinion on SupraForums.com. But IMO find a tuner you're happy with then do/buy as they say, don't throw kit at someone and ask them to make it work.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest RyGuy_VVTI-TT
You can't have the Sequential TT setup and 4-600. You may get 420 but that's about it. More than that is BS IMO. You'd be better off (when wanting reliability) all round fitting a GT35R *sized* single with a decent fuel system and programmable ECU for a reliable, fast spooling 500+hp. Wringing the neck of stock TT's is not good for long term.

As for who to do the work you're better canvassing opinion on SupraForums.com. But IMO find a tuner you're happy with then do/buy as they say, don't throw kit at someone and ask them to make it work.

I don't plan to stay stock and get that power--but with upgraded turbos, fuel and tuning, maybe cams, whatever--I should be able to get 550ish HP with a TT setup. But the number isn't the goal. I'll take what i can get. I wanna keep the quick spool, early torque feel of a TT VVT-I.

Ya, i want to start with the tuner. Thats why I'm asking.

I don't plan to stay stock and get that power--but with upgraded turbos, fuel and tuning, maybe cams, whatever--I should be able to get 550ish HP with a TT setup. But the number isn't the goal. I'll take what i can get. I wanna keep the quick spool, early torque feel of a TT VVT-I.

Ya, i want to start with the tuner. Thats why I'm asking.

The term "upgraded" suggests stock based and that's not physically possible. You will have to use a Single or Parallel Twin system to achieve 450+

Guest ViosSpeed

Wasted Spark ignition. This IMO is a step backwards to coil on plug.

Can someone please elaborate on this more and how this compares with non VVTi 2JZ's?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest RyGuy_VVTI-TT
The term "upgraded" suggests stock based and that's not physically possible. You will have to use a Single or Parallel Twin system to achieve 450+

Well, I apologize for my terminology. I plan to get bigger turbos, HKS I think, and whatever other bits and pieces the tuner suggests. The point is, I plan to stay TT and get as close to 500-600tq. If that means a parallel setup, then I'll look into that, as long as they spool up @ 1500 RPM and produce amazing torque throughout like they do now.

Well, I apologize for my terminology. I plan to get bigger turbos, HKS I think, and whatever other bits and pieces the tuner suggests. The point is, I plan to stay TT and get as close to 500-600tq. If that means a parallel setup, then I'll look into that, as long as they spool up @ 1500 RPM and produce amazing torque throughout like they do now.

Sorry to sound negative but your hopes of an off the shelf HKS twin system spooling noticeably from 1500 are unlikely to be realised - I would look at HKS2835R dyno graphs from the past to confirm. I don't know of any small twin systems for the Supra, only big ones. So, ok, maybe you could find the twin manifolds and bolt to their T25/T3(?) flanges a pair of smaller non HKS turbo's which would spool nice and fast. You'll need to custom fab the intake and exhaust systems, create a kit of oil/water feeds/drains, then sort out a fuel system and get it all mapped.

Or, you could bin the weight of the twins and bolt on a conventional small single system which will deliver 90% of what you want at a fraction of the costs going custom would incur.

http://www.spracingonline.com/store/SP_Racing_Torque_Monster_Turbo_Kit_93-98_MKIV_Supra/3256

See the attached picture for an EXAMPLE of what I would get with your power/torque requirements. The reason there are no small twin systems is that they are not economically viable as a commercial product. I'm sure if you spoke with MVP/Titan/SP etc they can/have done special kits before but where things are custom/special there is inherent costs. Up to you if you want to afford them.

SPEng_Torque Kit.PNG