The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Motec M1 Series

Jellybean

I decided to invest some time into Motec , getting up to speed on their products,

I had narrowed it down to

• M84 -- Would be ideal but Lacks Knock control & Individual cylinder tables
  • M600 with SKM add on
  • M800 with SKM add on
  • M130/M150

From what I could see there is a big price discrepancy between 100 Series unlocked and the new M1 series with a GPA/GPR package, normally the latest tech is the most expensive ; sounded too good to be true but it is!

M1 Series

I downloaded the M1 Tune/Build software , straight away I felt comfortable in the Motec environment . First impression was a strong correlation with software development; coding parameters, custom modules to get the device to perform a function ; I presume you can do full-scale custom code modules? In what language I am not sure , what framework the M1 series is based on , .NET c# or Java .... ? Need to look into further

What I really like , I am sure whoever setup the Motec M1 Ecosytem has strong ties with Software development framework , redistributables i.e. redistributable packages (M1 builds / firmwares) ; these ECU's are generic in every sense of the word, custom firmware defines them for X model of Car, there is good scope to monetise your builds by selling on the firmware as a custom codebase for X model of car

So far I am playing around with different calibration modules , just took a look at the M1 Build software to create a custom package for the unit ; once you get familiar with the environment it will be a powerful platform to build upon! So far I am impressed , it is literally a blank canvas to work off!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats mate!

You keeping the stock twins?

I assume this ECU can run the sequential system..

I'm stuck between the Haltech and F-Con, this may add another option.

Staying with the sequential system alright , Haltech and F-Con are very capable too

As an FYI the OEM 440cc Injectors are not characterised by Motec yet but a simple Voltage table will work(OEM Part Number is 23209-49025)

I found Injector Dynamics

http://help.injectordynamics.com/support/solutions/articles/178419-motec-m1

ASNU

http://www.asnu.com/injectordata

The complete list of injectors that Motec has characterized is found by loading a package based on the July 2015 or later 1.04 firmware and then looking at the pull-down list. When I do that, I see ASNU (11 models), Bosch (71 models), DeatschWerks (6 models), Delphi (2 models), Denso (53 models), Finjector, Five O Motorsport, Fuel Injector Clinic (2 models), Fuel Injector Development, Grams, Hitachi, Injector Dynamics (4 models), Kawasaki, Keihin (13 models), Kia, Lucas, Magneti Marelli, Mitsubshi (3 models), Moran (9 models), MPC, Nissan (3 models), Precision (2 models), RC, Rochester (2), SARD, Seimens Deka (19)Weber (6), XSPURT.

Stephen Dean

MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia

You need to talk to one of your local dealers to organise for the injector to be characterised, they will send the injector to us, we do the testing, and then send it back to the dealer to return to you. If the injectors are factory standard, unmodified and have the standard part number on them, then the characterisation testing is free of charge. if they have been modified, then there is a charge levied. You may also have the cost of the postage back and forth for the injectors as well.

Interesting stuff Jellybean, keep us posted on how you get on. :)

Will do

The Supra MoTeC M1 ECU software package features:

-True VE airflow modeling.

-When fitted with a fuel pressure sensor, fuel pressure is part of the model and will be compensated for.

-Flex fuel

-Traction Control (uses factory ABS sensors or TRAC speed signals)

-Knock Control – can log 4 center frequencies simultaneously to aide in quick/accurate setup

-Drive by wire control

-Support for lambda and EGT per cylinder if desired. Also supports third party lambda controllers that have 0-5v outputs

-On-screen live logging is available for any channel in the system. Can be paused, zoom in/out, and will do map trace on the tables when scrolling through the paused data.

-Package available for the M130 or M150 ECU – depending on your I/O needs

-Onboard data logging memory (125Mb M130, 250Mb M150) is standard with a fixed 100 channels. Can be upgraded to 200 channels or 2000 channels user defined.

-Fully supports existing MoTeC products such as E888 (can add I/O, EGT thermocouples, etc), PDM, dash displays, GPS (track mapping/lap timing), SLM

-Nitrous bottle heater control

-Nitrous Control (threshold and gear based):

-Supports use of OEM push buttons (along with ordinary toggles and rotary select switches) for the following functions:

-Dedicated water/meth injection function, supports using a pressure sensor for arming/failsafe of boost/ignition/fuel trims:

Traction Control

I have always used Siemens and never had any problems with them, but I seem to remember Ryan saying he didn't like them for some reason. What I DO avoid is stuff like SARD which i suspect are drilled out smaller injectors and which I frequently see disparate flow rates and iffy patterns. Did you get them from FiveO Motorsport in the US? I have always found their prices excellent and customer service first class.

I have always used Siemens and never had any problems with them, but I seem to remember Ryan saying he didn't like them for some reason. What I DO avoid is stuff like SARD which i suspect are drilled out smaller injectors and which I frequently see disparate flow rates and iffy patterns. Did you get them from FiveO Motorsport in the US? I have always found their prices excellent and customer service first class.

No didnt get them from Five O Motorsport, get the All Motec hardware from the states due to the Firmware & PNP Loom so wanted to be fair with the M1 Motec mapper here , Injectors and 2JZ top feed kit is 630 euro + VAT

See Dave Rowe was over here this week Chris! Taught I would never see him here

Is Dave Rowe going to map it?

I Briefly got his attention on Facebook when he posted he was in Ireland , he said he can always come back ; so I IM him on FB again , nothing back

I rang , emailed and FB him before but no luck ; just going to go with the M1 Tech here ; He as involved in the M1 development so should know what he is doing LOL

• 1 month later...

Spec:

OEM 2JZ block and head.

6 Speed Manual

264 9.5mm Tomei Poncams

Siemens Dekra 890 cc (need to confirm)

Billet Fuel Rail

Sytec FRP

One De-cat and 2nd sport cat

HKS Exhaust

OEM air box with K&N Panel Filter

255 Walbro Fuel pump

Motec M130

Motec LTC Wideband controller and Bosch LSU 4.9

Running in Sequential

Final Run was 424hp @ 1.2 Bar and 431.9 ftlb Torque, Rev limit set to 7100 from Stock 6800rpm on 95 octane fuel

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

No Toluene or octane booster?

I am testing a local octane booster which is primarily toluene, my car went crazy with it..

Gonna try it on the dyno and check the gains..

Afraid not , Toulene is difficult to get here and Toluene is very cancer causing (Carcinogen) and can make you go blind. Quantities required per tank means you need a few litres always at your disposal , not something I would like to have in an apartment

I did a lot of research on the octane boosters as its a market place full of snake oil, there are however a few true octane boosters out there, the key to finding a booster that will work is ensuring it contains a high percentage of MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl). You'll often hear the old nugget that such small volumes of an additive couldn't possibly have any real impact, however this is untrue, outside of chemists people really don't appreciate the impact that small ppm (parts per million) of a active ingredient can have. The catch with MMT as with most chemicals is that its nasty, and really the ability to purchase it in Octane boosters appears to be somewhat of a loop hole in my opinion.

There are a number of MMT rich octane boosters our there, the two that I've used and are most readily available are NF Race Octane Booster and Bardhal BSF Race Octane Booster. The NF Race OB showed extremely good results in my friends GTR in terms of low knock numbers, however the place I was buying from discontinued it a while ago so I switched to the Bardhal BSF, I believe the BSF has the highest MMT content of any booster available,The advantage of Bardhal is that it is extremely concentrated, so easy to keep in the boot (comes in a 1Ltr Tin) but also quiet expensive (€120), you will get excellent results with 2ml / Ltr, and I believe even as low as 1ml/ltr can be sufficient for road use, so your €120 could potentially treat 500 to 1,000Ltrs.

Never seen any knock logs with the BSF

She probably had a little bit of BSF still in her when on the Dyno

You right about the Toluene and the hazards.. It does work though, my car is running crazy with it in the tank.

I eventually would like to go with ethanol, its much safer to handle.. (It actually is regulated down here in terms of permits cos some people where drinking it..lol).

NF Race is popular here, the drawbacks is if you spill any on your car, it punishes the paint. It definitely works, with 98 race fuel & NF in the tank I had very good road performance..

Good luck with the future plans.