The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Datsun 240z RB26 Project

monsween

Great car monsween will be watching this closely! Nic build :thumbs:

Yes, the bloke who owns that one is a regular at pod and really friendly and a fan of Supras too. He gets some really good times consistently.

Looks great Monsween.

Guys a real nice bloke, had a good chat last year while a RWYB with the NA.

Well the idea is a 600cc, 6 wheeled, 4wd kart.

It might not work, it probably won't steer very well, but should it work it'll be a bit of fun. It's one of those projects that's interesting and challenging.

Bike powers the rear axle which is daisy chained to the middle axle. Just convert the brake disc on the rear one for the bike drive.

Engine mounting and exhaust fabrication is next.

Love the project :)

While I am nuts about carbon fibre (trust me I am) for my taste I prefer the standard brightwork on the 240z, Carbon looks a little too out of place.

thats just my thoughts though, Looking forward to seeing the results, I love 240z's

This has got to be one of my fav's, I would put a black mesh grill in it though.

Love the project :)

While I am nuts about carbon fibre (trust me I am) for my taste I prefer the standard brightwork on the 240z, Carbon looks a little too out of place.

thats just my thoughts though, Looking forward to seeing the results, I love 240z's

This has got to be one of my fav's, I would put a black mesh grill in it though.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3b/99/d4/3b99d405f8b7b8c7d423e663749af480.jpg

I really like the little carbon hints to this one but I've still got all the chrome work and can paint over carbon arches if I wanted to in the future. Also got some proper wing mirrors to fit ;)

How much for a 240z shell? Complete supra running gear with single would be fun and annoy all the purists on both sides :)

Great project :love:

Depends on the state of the shell..... most "projects" will require a lot of body work, unless you source from the US, but then the issue is that its LHD (and RHD conversion parts are becoming a hens teeth)

How much for a totally rust free rolling shell from the US these days? Are there any still out there? (Just curious). Cheers, I have always loved the looks of these and being more than old enough to drive when they first came out I always thought they made the E Type look technically outdated, and certainly made the Jaguar feel agricultural. Better engine, FAR better gearbox, FAR better suspension and fabulous reliability!

How was the Nissan / Datsun L24 a better engine than the Jaguar XK? :D

I haven't driven an E Type or a 240, but I fail to see how you can come to that conclusion. A 2.4l single cam i6, that isn't renowned for its character, vs a 3.8l i6 with twin cams, beautiful tubular manifolds which provide an amazing soundtrack, and is often rated as one of the all time great engines.

Stick on OS Giken twin cam head conversion on the L24 and it might even things out though.

How much for a totally rust free rolling shell from the US these days? Are there any still out there? (Just curious). Cheers, I have always loved the looks of these and being more than old enough to drive when they first came out I always thought they made the E Type look technically outdated, and certainly made the Jaguar feel agricultural. Better engine, FAR better gearbox, FAR better suspension and fabulous reliability!

Chris,

I was 10k for mine 2 years ago but it looks like they've just climbed in value.

Mine is rust free (few minor spots from chipped paint). Poor respray at some point in its US life and upgraded breaks, ignition and carb.

They car is actually a joy to drive, I was very surprised at how well it handled compared to my Capri from a few years ago.

But to be able to go lower with more power I need to change it all! There are a good few companies out in the states that have been developing rb conversion kits and suspension kits etc so will be going down those routes. Generally not much custom work required

Price wise I would guess at around £10k landed and everything...... whether its completely rust-free Im not sure. It will be in better condition VS a UK car, but rust-free and old Zs, I think is a myth unless its been restored.

How was the Nissan / Datsun L24 a better engine than the Jaguar XK? :D

I haven't driven an E Type or a 240, but I fail to see how you can come to that conclusion. A 2.4l single cam i6, that isn't renowned for its character, vs a 3.8l i6 with twin cams, beautiful tubular manifolds which provide an amazing soundtrack, and is often rated as one of the all time great engines.

Stick on OS Giken twin cam head conversion on the L24 and it might even things out though.

I cant talk about the Jag, but the 240z is a lovely drive and sound.... not bad power either.

But to be able to go lower with more power I need to change it all! There are a good few companies out in the states that have been developing rb conversion kits and suspension kits etc so will be going down those routes. Generally not much custom work required

Really interested to see how this goes....... if (and thats a big IF) I do an engine conversion, I keep leaning towards the 350z engine, for its almost 300bhp in NA form and once fitted to the 240z, sits behind the front struts. Which leaves a load of space for turbo, supercharger, vmount setup, etc.

The XK engine was great when designed, but Jaguar held onto the design too long and the Japs caught up and passed them. The gearbox was even more ancient and a total dog. The Datsun engine was, even as a SOHC, a much better engine, IMO. At 3.8 litres the XK wasn't too bad, at 4.2 it was a bit too big for its roots. As for the XK rear suspension with the driveshaft as one of the links, well, it was just dreadful.

I don't doubt the Datsun is superior in pretty much every way, but I just don't see the L24 as it came as stock in the Datsun, being comparable to the XK. Datsun had the right idea with the hot version of the 240, the Z432, by sticking the S20 lump out of the Hakosuka GTR into it. Now that was (and is) a seriously nice engine, especially for its time :cool:

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I don't doubt the Datsun is superior in pretty much every way, but I just don't see the L24 as it came as stock in the Datsun, being comparable to the XK. Datsun had the right idea with the hot version of the 240, the Z432, by sticking the S20 lump out of the Hakosuka GTR into it. Now that was (and is) a seriously nice engine, especially for its time :cool:

[/url]

I do love the s20 lump :D

Thanks for the prices gentlemen. Sounds like nice 240Z's will be a sound investment!

I hope so ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Almost a year on and I've done nothing to the car other than buy more bits!

Full Techno Toy Tuning rear conversion. I've also got hubs/diff/half shafts from an r33 for all this

McKinney MotorSport engine and diff mounts along with downpipe

Also bought a Jag and Skyline to enjoy too :)

Jaguar XFS 3.0D

R33 GTST

• 2 years later...