The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Turbo Blanket Will fit?

a98pmalcolm

Do these actually have much of an effect?

It was HUGE for me. My engine bay was melting after a short journey before I put one on. Now I can touch the top of the blanket after a 200+ mile drive with no issues :)

There's an argument of whether they promote cracking or not though.

There's an argument of whether they promote cracking or not though.

Ive decided the best compromise is to run a turbo blanket, possibly heat wrap just the top bend of the downpipe, leave the manifold bare, brace the turbo and fit a flexi just after the bottom bend on the downpipe.

I would consider bracing the downpipe too, but I suspect that would be very difficult to do well.

Worst case scenario, a new turbine housing isn't too expensive.

Do these actually have much of an effect?

As Scott says they make a big difference, they help to keep the heat energy inside the turbine housing and shield some of the radiant heat from the compressor housing. Make sure it's a good quality blanket, there's a lot of cheap crap out there.

Ive decided the best compromise is to run a turbo blanket, possibly heat wrap just the top bend of the downpipe, leave the manifold bare, brace the turbo and fit a flexi just after the bottom bend on the downpipe.

I would consider bracing the downpipe too, but I suspect that would be very difficult to do well.

Worst case scenario, a new turbine housing isn't too expensive.

A mounted heatshield for the manifold might be a good idea, similar to stock.

My concern is the items in and around the engine bay, rather than the manifold itself. The heat is insane at full chat.

I'll be shielding the brake master cylinder, and getting DEI heat covers for the water and oil lines, wastegate vac pipes etc. :)

As I mentioned in my own build thread, I wonder if putting some holes in the firewall into the scuttle area, especially near the BMC, would help? Then again, weakening that area probably isn't a good idea.