The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na. Clutch friction plate- wrong way?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, From experience with changing a clutch the friction plate has had "flywheel side" stamped on it, there are many stories where people have got it the wrong way round and clutch problems. I am about to change my stage 4 metalic 6 puck for a stage 2 RPS. 6 puck organic street one, and there is no indication about which way it should be fitted. Does anyone know ? see pics, is it side #1, or side.#2 ? which goes against the flywheel. side#1 LHS pic, side #2.RHS pic.

Also is there a special grease for the shaft and splines? Many thanks for any help. SIDE.#1..jpg (179.0 KB) SIDE.#2..jpg (174.2 KB)

SIDE.#1..jpg

SIDE.#2..jpg

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

Hi Josh, I tried TBdevelopments but he did not come back to me, mad busy like my NA/T man, so went to e-bay, company is Conceptua in Devon.

The clutch in the link is exactly the one i have just ordered but for the mk4 Supra, just a different spline boss to the one in the link which was for the 180SX Nisan.

This is the RPS Max Stage 2 clutch with street disc, like you had.

They say in their fitting insructions to make sure you put the friction disc in the right way round, BUT don't tell you which is the right way round ! !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RPS13-180SX-SR20DET-Redtop-Stage-2-Uprated-Competition-Clutch-Kit-Conceptua-/151756358363?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Ian, that's a completely different clutch.

That is a competition clutch for one, not an RPS.

I'm also not convinced that the stage 2 will hold the torque.

As I said in previous post, you need either the RPS Max clutch with street disc - available from MVP motorsports (traders on here), or the Spec stage 3+, available from various places including Whifbitz on here.

The last thing I want is for you to fit that clutch and find that it cannot hold the torque, for your mechanic to blame me.

That is not the clutch I pointed you to.

This is the clutch I have:

Part number:

# RP MS-22522-ST

LINK:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=780&SearchYN=N

Or there is the spec stage 3+

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/spec-clutch-1563.html

Hi Josh, Many thanks for your prompt reply, I just contacted the technical engineer at Conceptua and he has been to the States etc and been involved with many UK users of their street and competition clutches. He states that the clutch i have received, part no : 16085-2100, gives 80% more grip than the stock clutches, 400 BHP ok and 420 torque, and most important to me a stock feel on drive ability. He guarantees this and has sold dozens of them, without any problems of slipping etc.

I appreciate your help and TB developments said the exact one you had may no longer be available, he has not come back to me, 9 days ago.

I will keep you posted and i am confident it is ok. Stage.2.Clutch.Spec..jpg (194.3 KB)

Stage.2.Clutch.Spec..jpg

I spoke to TB Developments, it seems they need a minumum qty to be ordered, think he said its 5 or 10, im looking for the same clutch

Im also not convinced that stage 2 competition clutch will last as long as you would want it to, im sure its only rated to 300lbs torque, we shall see though

More importantly, how does it drive with the new clutch assuming its fitted now? close to stock?

ebay clutch, this is gonna go well

Sweeping statement that, because all ebay sellers flog crap eh.

Conceptua have been around for a while and have good feedback. Titan, Demon tweeks and other decent companies sell via ebay too.

It will be interesting though how this works out for the OP and if it stands the torque figure quoted, if so it could be a good solution for some.

Hi berg and Shane, The new RPS stage 2 organic clutch is well designed, it has exactly the same pressure plate as the stage 4 clutch, but a fibre composite friction disc, it drives like stock and has 80% more torque than stock, like i got my pre NA back. Only done a ten mile blast, gave it some sudden load in second gear, no slipping. I will not be hammering it and if it lasts for 10k i am happy. It's choice in the end, and experience, and different members have different opinions.

I now have a perfect as new stage 4 which has only covered 350 m/way miles, all the track boys use these and may be some members who just want to avoid any slipping, it is up for sale at £225 delivered, it cost £350 new, trade price.

Hi berg and Shane, The new RPS stage 2 organic clutch is well designed, it has exactly the same pressure plate as the stage 4 clutch, but a fibre composite friction disc, it drives like stock and has 80% more torque than stock, like i got my pre NA back. Only done a ten mile blast, gave it some sudden load in second gear, no slipping. I will not be hammering it and if it lasts for 10k i am happy. It's choice in the end, and experience, and different members have different opinions.

I now have a perfect as new stage 4 which has only covered 350 m/way miles, all the track boys use these and may be some members who just want to avoid any slipping, it is up for sale at £225 delivered, it cost £350 new, trade price.

Your new one is a competion clutch aswell, not an RPS, RPS are totally different :thumbs:

It will be interesting to see how it holds up anyway, as Shane said above, it could be a good option for na-t and na-tt guys, especially as they can be had for reasonable prices, trader on here currently offering them alot less than £300

Hi berg who is the trader i am interested, i looked at several suppliers and the one i ended up with was the lowest cost, and free delivery. Their technical guy has worked in California where they design and manufacture them, if you look at the pressure plates and friction discs they are nearly identical, just the paint finish colour on the pressure plates vary.

The one i have, and still have the packaging etc, is RPS stamped all over it, so it should be one, either way it feels great, and we will see how it goes?

What clutch are you running and how has it behaved?

Hi berg who is the trader i am interested, i looked at several suppliers and the one i ended up with was the lowest cost, and free delivery. Their technical guy has worked in California where they design and manufacture them, if you look at the pressure plates and friction discs they are nearly identical, just the paint finish colour on the pressure plates vary.

The one i have, and still have the packaging etc, is RPS stamped all over it, so it should be one, either way it feels great, and we will see how it goes?

What clutch are you running and how has it behaved?

My competition came from Co-ordsport on here around £250 delivered

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?325233-Competition-Clutches-Now-Available-To-Order

I currently use stage 3 which is working fine, it doesnt drive like stock but its not as bad as the 6puk clutches, still a bit of judder if you dont catch it right and its very grippy and snappy, for me though if i can have it drive like stock and handle the power/torque then im willing to swap it out, i was originally going for the stage 2 but after being warned it may not last at BPU levels i chose the stage 3 segmented version instead.

Good luck i hope it works for you