The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear light problems with my daily

listy

Make: Seat

Model: Toledo 20V T

Year: 2003 (53)

(Basically a Passat/A4)

Problem:

1 - Recently my reverse lights have been coming on when I'm not in reverse. I know this will have something to do with wiring somewhere as I've checked the bulbs and connections on the lights. Both lights come on, and if I unplug one, the other stays on, so it must be before the wiring splits to each side. As they are on when I'm not in reverse, would it be wiring/some kind of switch around the gear select?

Some pointers about where to look would help loads.

2 - My brake lights seem to take a while to come on when I brake. Under light braking they don't operate, they only come on once I push a little harder.

Is there some kind of pressure switch under the pedal or something I can adjust?

This one I have no clue where to look to fix the problem so help would be very much appreciated on this one.

Here is the reverse light switch. If they're coming on without being in reverse, unplug it. If that turns them off, it's got to be the switch.

As far as the brake light switch goes, I'm 99% sure they're not adjustable, so it could be a weak spring inside the unit itself. They're relatively cheap on eBay, so I'd take a punt on a new one.

BE VERY CAREFUL FITTING BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

VAG brake switches commonly fail so are cheap to buy, but there is a specific operation to fit them - make sure you follow the instructions in the box TO THE LETTER or you'll kill it when you fit it.

I would definately go to the reverse light switch for that fault. Agree with Benjy on disconnect it to confirm.

There should only be 2 plugs on the gearbox if its a manual as per the pic - a 2 pin (reverse light switch), normally near the front (as in pic) and a 3 pin, which will be a speed sender, normally on the Diff/output casing.