The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jakes RZ Supra Build Project Thread. Officially Sponsored.

ripped_fear

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So today was incredible, my day off and it was decent weather! :taped::taped:

Decided to get started on the jobs, and chose to install the sub I bought a while back, took a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would, with making the wiring neat and hidden, and making a couple of brackets.

Wanted the OEM look so nothing is on show. Sub is hidden under the passenger seat and sounds perfect for my needs. It can only bee seen if the seat is pulled all the way forward, and you look under the seat. Fitted the bass adjuster into the centre console with my boost controller.

All went smooth apart from shearing a bolt so had to drill that out and clean the threads but over all a successful day.

attachment.php?attachmentid=216549&stc=1&d=1484671384

attachment.php?attachmentid=216550&stc=1&d=1484671384

attachment.php?attachmentid=216551&stc=1&d=1484671384

attachment.php?attachmentid=216552&stc=1&d=1484671384

DSC_0676.jpg

DSC_0677.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

That looks really tidy. Does anyone know if one of these would fit under recaros on bride rails? Do they sit any lower?

/QUOTE]

Thanks mate. I will say if they sit any lower than 1cm compared to stock I doubt you will get it under. It is very snug now. I had to move it over a few mm as initially it was catching when moving the seat forwards. It's now under with just enough room.

If you have fixed buckets it may be easier. I can take some measurements of it if needed.

Measurements of how much room you have under your seat for comparison would be brilliant mate. If mine are the same I will buy one of those subs. I have had all the amps and wiring ready to fit for over a year now!

/QUOTE]

Next time its out I will measure it up mate.

The beauty of these little units is they are an active set up so no need for an amp. Just a wiring kit and your good.

So progress has been slow but im going to start making some progress soon. A nice pile of parts is forming ready to fit and i have just ordered a load of bits now from amayama as i fear some of the little bits i want will soon be discontinued so just picked up £100 worth of nick nack.

1xToyota 5590514220 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514250 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514260 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514270 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514320 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514330 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514340 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514350 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514360 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 5590514370 - CAP, PLASTIC

1xToyota 7457924010 - EMBLEM

6xToyota 9095001503

1xToyota 831381B270 - COVER, PLASTIC

1xToyota 8282150050 - COVER, PLASTIC

2xToyota 9033910002C0 - CAP, PLASTIC

2xToyota 9011905039 - BOLT

These are the AC buttons, some trim caps for various places, the oem petrol decal, some oe screws, and the screen for the speedo.

On top of this i have the following parts to fit.

New red dust caps

New 90 degree stainless air valves

polished top water neck

3" intercooler pipe work

powder coated front crash bar

Some more shiny bits

OEM facelift sun visors

OEM facelift centre roof light

OEM clips for visors

White interior led's

Custom red pulleys (may sell these and changed to polished not sure)

And I now have a date for the valve stem seals which me and james will be doing in march. once this is done im deciding weather she needs a head rebuild or just spend the money on more maintenance parts and a new big brake setup. All depends on if the smoke is cured.

more updates to come soon

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

I'm buying in literally £thousands of parts and the one thing that bugs me about Amayama is they will short ship on orders if parts ordered and paid for then come back as unavailable. Just had that on one of my orders which obviously really screws up the freight cost allocation on the parts that do get shipped. I'm buying in things that are rubber, metal bolt on parts or gaskets so pretty much anything that degrades. Looks like you might be the man to come to for the plastic when those parts are no longer being made and supplies out of the supply chain exhausted.

So when will your project actually be finished, I'm guessing never?

I'm buying in literally £thousands of parts and the one thing that bugs me about Amayama is they will short ship on orders if parts ordered and paid for then come back as unavailable. Just had that on one of my orders which obviously really screws up the freight cost allocation on the parts that do get shipped. I'm buying in things that are rubber, metal bolt on parts or gaskets so pretty much anything that degrades. Looks like you might be the man to come to for the plastic when those parts are no longer being made and supplies out of the supply chain exhausted.

So when will your project actually be finished, I'm guessing never?

Don't select the immediate checkout mate so that way they check stock and you can edit an order before payment and dispatch. Takes an extra week. Bit worth it.

Good shout if you are ordering gaskets I'd order the full kit mate, I ordered loads separately ages ago and it's a much more expensive way of doing things.

The project will never be 'finished' I'm just not that kind of person lol. I enjoy the tinkering as much as the driving and If I have to remove somthing to replace an item I always try to renew all the associated bits. I never like to put somthing back together unless it goes back together better than before. It's a never ending circle. Once this year is done with some planned work and small odds and sods. I plan to save for a full engine rebuild and start renewing all the underside parts. Never ending, and ifit ever is finished I'd need to buy another toy as I like to keep busy. One day I want an old charger or shelby too.

I'm buying in literally £thousands of parts

But why? If it's to fit them now and refresh things, then fair enough. But if it's to actually store them away because you worry that they wont be available in the future, then that really strikes me as a bit mentally unbalanced and obsessive to be honest.

I didn't do the immediate checkout, going the quote option essentially paying more to ensure the parts were available. Then got an email a few days later saying sorry part out of production with no plans to make any more. Refunded the missing parts but did refused my request to cancel and refund the entire order. That is something that will only happen more rather than less often.

If you go American you need to start saving especially if looking to a fresh import with the exchange rate being what it is today. If you do ever do a serious look at a US import I can point you to some decent contacts for shipping agent and Forex. It'd give you a good reason to take a US holiday to go look at cars with a view to buy. If I was to do that again I'd take two or three weeks out to go look a car in the metal rather than buy unseen as I did with my Mustang.

- - - Updated - - -

But why? If it's to fit them now and refresh things, then fair enough. But if it's to actually store them away because you worry that they wont be available in the future, then that really strikes me as a bit mentally unbalanced and obsessive to be honest.

I have space. if I don't need them then I can always sell them. Parts like the cars are going up in cost.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Depends what it is, I have bought parts in the past for future plans, but i wouldn't stock pile lots. TBH though with dwindling stock and price continuously rising it may be proactive to buy some bits where possible.

I didn't do the immediate checkout, going the quote option essentially paying more to ensure the parts were available. Then got an email a few days later saying sorry part out of production with no plans to make any more. Refunded the missing parts but did refused my request to cancel and refund the entire order. That is something that will only happen more rather than less often.

If you go American you need to start saving especially if looking to a fresh import with the exchange rate being what it is today. If you do ever do a serious look at a US import I can point you to some decent contacts for shipping agent and Forex. It'd give you a good reason to take a US holiday to go look at cars with a view to buy. If I was to do that again I'd take two or three weeks out to go look a car in the metal rather than buy unseen as I did with my Mustang.

I have space. if I don't need them then I can always sell them. Parts like the cars are going up in cost.

Really?! theres no way im paying for it unless my full order is accepted. They dont have any payment details yet.

Cheers dude, it will be years away lots of other things to do first but one day i will own a classic muscle car. Will pm you when the time arises although it will be a long time away. :thumbs:

So good news is amayama ok'd my whole order apart from some little clips i wanted but they aren't such a big deal, so waiting on that to arrive, and today I have ordered a new set of goodridge braided brake hoses all round, and next up is to order all the parts to do the brakes them selves, will be waiting a month or so for that as the car isn't being used anyway and we are away for a portion of this month, so could do with the money. :taped:

Also kindly got donated an AC control unit from ellis FOC, a real gent! massive thanks again mate! :thumbs: and now sending it off to a mate to do an LED conversion on it, all the other LEDS for the speedo etc are sat waiting to go in but holding off until I have everything here to do it in one hit.

But the parts pile is continuing to grow.

So again only a minor update but time was limited today.

Removed my dyed and painted set of headlining clips/trims/light/visors and have now replaced them with genuine Facelift ones. Look much better imo happy for a simple tweak to the interior.

Also tried out some new leather cleaner, sprayed a nice coat of angelwax heaven for leather over all leather trim, worked in with a valet pro brush and buffed off with a nice microfibre. forgot to take a picture of the finished product but got rid of the shine to my leather and made it a nice mat/satin finish. also has brought a very slight smell of leather back to the cabin which is what i wanted. I have also ordered a nice concentrate of leather aroma to drop under the seats and in the heater vents. (yet to arrive)

attachment.php?attachmentid=216900&stc=1&d=1486478877

attachment.php?attachmentid=216901&stc=1&d=1486478877

attachment.php?attachmentid=216902&stc=1&d=1486478877

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

Visors Look good :D

They do indeed, cheers bud for sorting me out with them.

Good effort! Nothing worse than shiny leather. Gliptone leather conditioner leaves a lovely leather smell each time you get in the car. If you haven't tried it?

Thanks mate, I do indeed have the gliptone cleaner and conditioners but I don't find the smells lasts very well at all. I do love the cleaner but not a fan of the conditioner.

Accumulating a nice collection of products now, have filled all my shelves in the garage :D

• 3 weeks later...

Really loosing the love and motivation to work on the car currently, happens most winter so hoping it will pass.

Anyway my package from amayama rocked up today, very happy :)

All small bits but together should make a nice difference. Even got the speedo glass so its completely mark free once the LEDS are in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=217099&stc=1&d=1487851510

attachment.php?attachmentid=217100&stc=1&d=1487851525

DSC_0938.jpg

DSC_0940.jpg

That is proper attention to details.

Wait till the winter passes and you get out and about again. Will soon find the love for the car again :)

Cheers dude and I really hope so. Once me and James have done the VSS Im sending it to SRD for a once over, service and new brakes ;) (or head rebuild) then the love should hopefully return

As above, loving the attention to detail mate

/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy :) appreciate the kind words