The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help identifying LSD

berg

Currently doing a manual conversion on my car

I purchased an lsd to go on as when my car is jacked up i spin one wheel and only one would spin and i was told that was an open diff

Now its off the car if i spin the prop flange both drive cups spin the same way.

If i spin one drive cup then both spin opposite ways

The new LSD i have got does exactly the same as what ive removed

Can anyone help me as i cannot see any marking or numbers on either diff

This is what ive removed and looks identical to what i have bought

The only sure-fire way to tell the difference is to open it but if you have a friend handy you can get a good idea without opening it. If you spin the propshaft input of either an open diff or an LSD then both drive cups will spin the same way, if they didn't they wouldn't work at all. Here's what I did when I had two diffs on the bench just as you do now and we could tell the difference.

Have a friend turn the propshaft input. Use both hands to apply resistance to the drive cups more or less equally so that they both turn in your hands. Reduce the resistance significantly on one drive cup. If it's an open diff your friend will find it easier to turn the propshaft input and if it's an LSD your friend will feel no significant difference because the LSD will add resistance to try and balance the outputs.

Ok thanks ill have to whip the cover off if theres no other way of knowing

Would have been good to compare both to know for sure but i have no sealant to seal it back up and new diff is going on tomorrow

Vin plate wont be a sign as the car was reshelled long back.

• 3 weeks later...