The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1.5JZ documented engine build

jonny mac

hi guys! starting a build thread for my 1.5jz

going to be a big learning curve for me as I've never put an engine together before, I'm not here to pretend for internet points that i am an expert at this OR that i won't need any help along the way!

any tips or advice that I recieve will be greately appreciated as I'm only going by what I have read online/in books when I was at college studying vehicle mechanics many years ago

so, to start off, my current car is an s14 nissan silvia and over the last 2 years I've put in a 1jz engine and an r154 box, which overtime then changed into a single turbo conversion etc. Currently on 400whp

I've felt that since adding the single turbo, the car has been really down on response at the low end, even with a 4.3 finaldrive ratio diff fitted

the point is, a 2jz-gte would cost me 2-3 grand for the engine, then the price of manifolds, new loom, ecu etc.

a 1.5 jz means everthing is re-useable on my head, loom, ecu etc :) makes it all a bit easier

this is just going to be a bit of fun and nothing competetive or in any way a big budget build with stroker kits etc.

the reason behind using a 2jz ge block also is because the gte block didn't seem worth the money for the sake of oil squirters and two banjo bolt fittings on the block for turbo oil feeds

so, paid my membership on the mkiv supra forum to gain access to the parts for sale/private message secion of the board

within a day or two, a a 2jz ge bottom end was for sale from a guy called mike2jz

purchased the engine and later on it arrived on a pallet :)

got it off the pallet and onto my engine stand

threw my spare 1j head into the back of my daily and took most of the stuff off so it could be dropped off at the head shop

noted each shim with numbers incase any of them got mixed up

at the moment it's off for a full checkup, pressure test and if it needs skimmed, the smallest amount will be removed he said since it's a turbo build

i also have new valve stem seals he said he could throw in for me if he has to recut any valve seats

took the sump off the 2jz

and made up something for removing the stuck on GE crank gear, changing to a GTE one for a crank sensor to read from

bought a crank pulley from my mate as mike had an issue with someone taking my one off the engine before it was shipped, thanks to him for sorting out some money back to me

also stripped off the oil pump from the GE, no use as i'll be going to a GTE oil pump since it has the crank sensor mounting point

water pump housing, timing tensioner and pulley too

out came the pistons, kept them all in order and took notes of the markings on the conrod caps

so according to the factory service manual for a 2jz, does this mean that my crankshaft is number 0 ? as it looks like it's marked TT0TTT

with the pistons out, the only bad bit is cylinder 5, it has some build up of something on the cylidner wall, looks like maybe some water has fallen down there during removing the head and sat there ontop of a piston ring and caused this?

it doesn't seem to be run up and down the block so has only been there since the engine has been standing still?

can anyone recommend if a hone would sort this? it's nearer the top of the block.

i'm trying to find a local engine shop in aberdeen that will check / possibly deck my block and hone out the cylinders as the head shop has stopped doing block work now

what would be good for using to clean up the rusty surface stuff inside the coolant passages inside the block?

also i've bought a set of second hand 2jz-gte pistons with rods so hopefully they arrive next week

i plan on replacing pretty much everything in the bottom end, rings, bearings, main bearings, thrust washers, seals, oil and water pumps,

the head will get some 264 degree camshafts too as a nice little upgrade from standard

once i get my head back, i'll be finding out if i need to use a 1 or a 2jz head gasket to retain a lower compression ratio

this will be updated reguarly as i go along :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realised now crank was upside down haha what an idiot I am. It's because I had the engine on the stand and hadn't removed #1 main cap

The bore will get honed first and checked to see how it is. Along with all others as I've already bought gte Pistons and will be using new rings

David p, with using the 2jz oil pump, what about an oil feed to the turbo? Would that not slso reduce the pressure slightly? Even with the n/a spring?

Currently using a 1.5mm restrictor on my holset from my 1jz oil pump on my 1jz gte engine

Yeah normally they are as my mate was using a 1jz gte pump on his 2jz ge block

I'll take a look at the bypass valve spring and see if it's easy to swap. if not then I'll buy the vvt ge oil pump :)

I have new oil pumps in stock and can supply with an N/A spring ready fitted if they are of interest? Although I have not seen wildly high pressure using them on N/A blocks without squirters. Be sure your single turbo has an oil restrictor fitted! I can also supply restrictor fittings if the turbo you have is not fitted with one.,

I plan on using the existing restrictor I have in my turbo just now providing the oil pressure made by the new pump is too high for my turbo

Can you drop me a pm with a price for one of the pumps? Are they genuine Toyota? Conceptua are £150 delivered through eBay.

• 4 weeks later...

so, head dropped off at the shop

worst bit he said was burn marks on a valve seat

so it got 24 new stem seals, all valves reground and resealed, polished, shimmed and cleaned up

then the head had 7thou removed to make it perfect

made an order on driftmotion for some brian crower 264 degree cams, cam gears, 2jz water pump top pipe and one of the gaskets for the oil pump pickup in the sump

it'll take a few weeks for my bits to arrive

i've also been onto conceptua as i made a big order of parts for my nissan however while i was on the phone i decided to buy some 2jz gte piston rings, 2jz gte oil pump and i got a crank seal from chris too! top guys and fantastic service as usual!

i will be swapping over the n/a 2jz GE oil pump relief valve into this pump in an attempt to retain normal oil pressure since using a GE block

i bought a set of 2jz gte pistons from a guy called nial who was having his mkiv supra engine forged

after weeks of fighting a courier company, eventually they arrived! so i started cleaning them with oven cleaner

they will be getting acid bathed/ultra sonic cleaned (if that sounds correct) by the machine shop when they go there

in the pic you can see those on the left have been cleaned, i made a small sealed pot with oven cleaner which can hold one piston at a time, this worked great and took off so much black carbon and slime

they come out like brand new, just need a small copper brush to clean up the top however i'm not going to bother now since the machine shop will bath them

just got to order one of these from toyota, i've taken this one out of my spare 1jz block I've had sat for years however if it doesn't clean up good enough i'll get one from toyota

for now, i'm hunting down a 2jz lower timing cover which is proving to be quite tricky!

i still need to buy a 2jz gte timing belt but i'm also unsure weather or not it's worth investing in a billet tensioner? everyone seems to go on about them?

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

it's highly likely i'll be using a 2jz gte headgasket, the 1jz gasket would be better as it's designed against the 1jz head properly however I don't think it'll be thick enough to allow my desired compression ratio. that'll all be worked out though, I have a new 1jz oem Toyota gasket if it'll work, if not then i'll be buying the 2jz one

I have not done the oil mod, spoken to too many people who said they have not done it and never had an issue, should be fine

Just seen this.

That is my old N/A engine! Glad it made it somewhere. It was about 3 weeks away from the scrap yard before mike saved it. It never let me down in all the years it was in my car.

I will be watching with interest

Quite amazing really, I seem to remember that you were proud that you never even changed the oil.

Nope never did Topped it up when was low but didnt do a thing other than plugs and air filter. Pulled a 210 on a dyno to.

I guess it saw 2k a year with me for 4 years? 8k miles total maybe less.

EDIT Just found its MOT with Mileage records

4k miles ish...was Sorn for over a year to.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

can you remember the total mileage of the engine?

the block

got the GE blank removed and the water pipe cleaned up

my brian crower cam gears, 265 degree camshafts, 2jz water pump water neck and a spare oil pickup gasket arrived from driftmotion

got stung £86 in tax

have been cleaning the pistons properly, using brasso, metal polish, petrol, scotchbrite pads, brass wire brushes and loads of elbow grease!

however i may sell the gte pistons and rods now since as i may buy some forged internals after a chat with another engine builder

also started cleaning the block which is hard work!

got myself an engine lower timing cover too thanks to a guy from the mkiv supra europe parts for sale facebook page

if anyone wants a set of cleaned up 2jz-gte pistons, rods and brand new rings for £300 delivered in the uk PM me.