The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Decision Made - Not going Single - What are my options?

Big Mark

Came close to selling up and just buying a single turbo Supra as so much cheaper than spending it making mine single, but after lots of thought I realise that I just don't use the car enough to warrant either outlay and wouldn't make the most of it. Plus I've spent years tinkering away with mine which I enjoy.

So, as my car is currently full bpu and I like little projects I'm considering seeing if I can up the power a little and spend a fraction of the cost of a single, keeping my factory turbos and adding..........

Greddy style inlet manifold

264 CAMS

Bigger injectors

Front Mount intercooler (maybe)

Piggyback ECU.

What difference would this make and what Piggyback ecu do people recommend?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be better value for money going single IMO, but it doesn't have to be hugely expensive.

I'm not allowed to say the traders name (forum rules), but on the facebook group someone is selling a PHR cast single turbo kit for £1500 or offers. Get a good used Apexi Power FC, some UK spec injectors and a Bosch 044 pump. Should be good for 500hp. If you're lucky you could possibly do all that mapped for circa £4k.

Your idea would probably cost £2kish, and you would see circa 430hp.

I wouldn't bother with hybrids.

I would say an upgraded suspension, brake setup or weight loss would be more effective than a few more HP from cams. Racelogic traction control and premium tyres would also allow you to fully exploit your cars current performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Nitrous Oxide is also an option :eyebrows:

Get yourself a Blitz Access ECU or something similar dude. A few members have been in my BPU Auto and describe the 2nd turbo coming online as "savage". Keeps me happy until my J-Specs pack up!

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking. Seen a couple of people selling Emange Ultimates at the moment.

I would say an upgraded suspension, brake setup or weight loss would be more effective than a few more HP from cams. Racelogic traction control and premium tyres would also allow you to fully exploit your cars current performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Nitrous Oxide is also an option :eyebrows:

Fitted a Whifbitz Handling Kit in May so suspension sorted, Got uk brakes, braided line and CW pads already and doing brake fluid change at the weekend. Got a carbon fibre spark plug cover, how's that for weight saving. :p

If the car isn't a daily, you could replace the battery for a much smaller, lighter one. Dude on here used to sell lithium ones that weighed a fraction of a regular battery. The rear seat back is also pretty heavy (the base isn't worth removing), ditch the spare wheel, replace the bootlid glass with lexan and remove the wiper mechanism etc.

But I would definitely consider the racelogic either way, it will give you more confidence, and make launches faster and easier.

That would be not worth the expense. After bpu you either bite the bullet and go single or just leave it as bpu imo

Completely agree, you will spend £K's to gain another 30hp; 430hp is around the max you can get out of the stock turbos.

If you are itching to spend money on the car it would be much better spent on optimising the handling, ie. suspension, tyres, brakes, LSD, etc..

Not looking to spend £k's Nic other wise I'd of gone single, just looking for idea to eek out a bit more from the car.

From conversations a piggyback ECU to fine tune things or even a Mines ECU or Blitz Access ECU sounds worthwhile.

"suspension, tyres, brakes, LSD" are all sorted unless I upgrade my UK brakes to a Big Brake Kit, which is probably overkill.

If i was you i just wouldnt bother with a pggy back ecu , unless you really need it for something ie: hybrids,bigger injectors , All ecu's have there down falls unless your handy with the software to get over little problems , like cold start and injector responce time ,fuel trims . lets say £400 for the piggy then you will need another £400 mapping and set up.

I have been their hybrids, single , dont get me wrong a single is great but not realy worth it if you have an auto when bpu is so good.(when in sequential!!! TTC is like having a massive single at 0.6 wastgate presure imho )

I take it you have a boost controler

If you want to spend a little cash and enjoy the car more , start doing some track days they are around £150 - £200 , great fun and gives you things to play with and tinker with as you have to service it more

Weight loss for me is more hassle than its worth to be honest on a road car, if your in competition then its worth it but i cant see you noticing a difference on the road with less than 100kg difference, the hassle of having a dead race battery every other day just to save 10kg seems pointless

I had one in my track car and swapped back to factory battery after 2 weeks

As said above, sort out other things than the engine/turbos.

1. Suspension - speak with Chris Wilson about a set of his revalved shocks and springs with his alignment.

2. Upgrade the brakes to the best you can afford, whether it be discs and pads or a full blown BBK.

3. Get some quality rubber, like Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.

4. Invest in some professional tuition. Making you a better driver will be worth more than a few bhp on a circuit.

I'd seriously not bother with injectors and piggyback unless you're going to go the whole hog.

I have been the route of hybrids and all supporting mods (cams, injectors, fuel pump, standalone ecu) once mapped by RyanG it was guessed to be around 480bhp (based on making 455 at SRR with a rather bad map).

Sold the car.... and about 6 months later the hybrids died. I cannot recommend them....

Then why spend any money on the car? Get it detailed, get the little things sorted to make you happier when driving it.

1. Suspension - speak with Chris Wilson about a set of his revalved shocks and springs with his alignment.

2. Upgrade the brakes to the best you can afford, whether it be discs and pads or a full blown BBK.

4. Invest in some professional tuition. Making you a better driver will be worth more than a few bhp on a circuit.

I'd seriously not bother with injectors and piggyback unless you're going to go the whole hog.

:goodpost:

Suspension - DONE - Whifbitz Handling Kit

Brakes - DONE - UK's with CW pads and Braided hoses - Tho considering a BBK

Tyres - DONE - Brand new Vredestein all round and no issues with grip at all.

Tuition - Sounds fun.

Not stripping car for weight saving, if I wanted to save weight I'd go on a diet.

Hybrids have a reputation for unreliability.

Probably just go for a Mines, TOMS, or Blitx Access ECU and that'll be it. (maybe a greddy style manifold too as I like the look)