The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange engine noise

Twin turbo

I recently noticed a strange engine noise on my jdm tt supra,its like a howl or whisle sound that come and goes.I can only hear it at idle but i suspect it to only drown by other noises when i rev the engine! Tried to listen with a scope all over and noticed that the sound was louder in back of the valve cover area and on top of the hose connecting air to both the turbos.I found a video on you tube with someone having the same issues (howl sound not ticking)search (2jz-gte funny noise) no sound around the serpent belt and the turbos.low milage car with all fluids ok.not sure what oil thats used by my local toyota dealer when i had it on service but i belive they use a good brand and the noise have probaly been there before i serviced the car?

Edited by Twin turbo (see edit history)

Don't worry about it. My car has made that noise since I bought it. I did about 13k miles as a TT, then back in March I converted the car to single, it has not got worse.

I removed the aux belt and ran the car, the noise is still present. I changed many parts and it still remains;

Cams, cam pulleys, cam belt, cam idler and hydraulic tensioner, flywheel, turbos swapped for single, engine mounts, coil packs, crank pulley... you name it, it still makes the noise, compression is good and the engine is healthy making ~700hp.

Not all supra's do it, I had an Aristo that made the same noise, but not quite as loud. I've also just worked on another supra, and I noticed it made the same noise.

It's a harmonic noise, I'm not sure what causes it.... Casting flash in the head maybe, slightly out of shape cam journals? But it doesn't seem to mean you have problems. :) If I ever eliminate/solve the noise I'll post it on here so the world knows. :D

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

OK thanks for fast reply,glad i found this site :)

I would still do some investigations. I.e. remove your aux belt and run it, check your cam idler bearing for wear etc... see if your noise is being caused by something else. If it's definitely the same noise as me/in the video though, then you don't need to worry.

• 10 months later...
Guest Massimo

HI THERE I HAVE THE SAME NOISE IM VERY UPSET MY SUPRA IS 93

HERE IS A VIDEO WITH THE SOUND BUT MY CAR MAKES IT VERY LOUD

MAYBE SOME ONE THE SAME ISSUE ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi an update on this sound! Now i have changed everything in front of engine like timing belt,waterpump,gasket behind cam wheels pulleys and so on.the sound is still present at idle but i feel its a little less now.listen with a scope again and it sounds like its coming from behind the timing belt cover and resonate all the way up behind the valve cover. Maybe a little difference how tight timing belt become with even new tensioners? Anyone tried if sound is Present with timing belt cover off? Have this sound on my toyota hiace also but less audible there.

As I previously posted I have already spent time and money trying to cure this, and discovered that without stripping the engine I am unlikely to find it.

My car started 100% stock, it is now single turbo. The only rotating parts that are left from stock are the Engine internals, (pistons, crank, rods, bearings), the oil pump internals.

As I said before this small noise being present has now caused me no issues on a single turbo car in the year since I last posted on this thread. I still believe this is a harmonic noise in the head, the exact cause of which I am unable to isolate until I one day strip it down to do a forged build . Even then I may find nothing untoward.

Some supra's have this, I have found other cases on the internet(check australian forums), and it does not seem to cause any issues.

• 3 years later...