The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake issue on a 1996 Gen6 Celica

Josh42

Hi all,

A friend from work is having an issue with the brakes on his 1996 Celica GT and I'm hoping you guys maybe able to offer advice as to the potential root cause.

So, the symptoms:

The car was absolutely fine driving home from work and when parked on the drive, the next morning on the drive in, he noticed the pedal travel was excessive and the brakes only started actually slowing the car at the bottom of the travel.

He checked all corners for obvious signs of leaks and noticed an amount of thick gunk on the back of the N/S/F wheel, but none of the others.

He's tightened up all brake unions, replaced copper washers on banjo fittings and then attempted to bleed the brake system.

He did make the mistake of trying to bleed the N/S/F first, as opposed to beginning furthest away from the master cylinder, however, even then there was so much air coming out, with no signs of letting up even after topping up way over 1L of brake fluid.

Here's where it gets really strange, I popped round to give him a hand and told him to begin bleeding from the N/S/R, but when we cracked the nipple and operated the vacuum bleeder, no fluid came out. We pretty much removed the bleed nipple and still no fluid came out...

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's historical brake fluid, but I can't find a current leak....

Any ideas Ben?

Sorry mate, only just noticed this...

As Tim says, with the gunky stuff around the caliper, it could be leaking from there. I'd clean it all up, change the fluid, run the car and get someone to hold the brake pedal down as hard as they can and inspect for leaks.