The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scuttle Panel Advice wanted

Claire Helen

Hi all,

I am sure this is a common problem as my friend had the same thing, but my windscreen scuttle panel is looking rough in its age. Has anyone refurbished theirs? I've seen a nice carbon fiber one on Whifbitz but trying to keep my car looking quite stock and classic.

What has everyone else done, bought new ones, refurbished old ones etc?

Thanks for your help :-)

That looks lovely, did you have someone do that for you? How much did they charge. I have access to a garage etc but I am not a pro, I am a amateur lol

I did indeed however I can not comment on price I'm afraid as I have the luxury of a dad who is a painter :D Shouldn't have thought it would cost that much, got to be cheaper than a new OEM one.

From Matt Wilkinson thread "Scuttle was £122.06 + VAT - Part number Y55708-14020"

Was that from Toyota?

My dads a mechanic and gets trade, he also does allot of my paintwork already and don't want to keep bothering him really. A new scuttle isn't bad at that price :) I'll either go for that or a new paint job I think, thanks :)

I am not a pro,

Skirt: The part of a garment, such as a dress or coat, that hangs freely from the waist down.

Spat: A light blow; slap; smack.

Keep practicing. :)

Edit: Excuse me, got the threads mixed up. :blush:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?324797-Side-Skirt-Advice

Scuttle: Run, scurry, scamper, rush, hurry, scramble, hare (British, informal), bustle, beetle, scud, hasten, scoot, scutter (British, informal) • Two very small children scuttled away.

Scuttle: Wreck, destroy, ruin, overwhelm, disable, overthrow, foil, undo, torpedo, put paid to, discomfit

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Skirt: The part of a garment, such as a dress or coat, that hangs freely from the waist down.

Scuttle: Run, scurry, scamper, rush, hurry, scramble, hare (British, informal), bustle, beetle, scud, hasten, scoot, scutter (British, informal) • Two very small children scuttled away.

Scuttle: Wreck, destroy, ruin, overwhelm, disable, overthrow, foil, undo, torpedo, put paid to, discomfit

Exactly

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly

Was that from Toyota?

My dads a mechanic and gets trade, he also does allot of my paintwork already and don't want to keep bothering him really. A new scuttle isn't bad at that price :) I'll either go for that or a new paint job I think, thanks :)

Yes that was a Toyota price via Steve Manley. I think it quite reasonable. Should last a lot longer over here, especially if garaged.

• 6 months later...

I've just fitted a new one, which looks great. Matt_RR has just had his painted, which looks just as good as mine and was much cheaper, but obviously with paint you don't know how long it will last.

It would be a horrid thing to prep and paint yourself though due to the intricacy of it.

Are these a pita to take off?

What prep or paint is required to paint these?

The clips are a pain, you need one of the 'Y' shaped prise tools really to get at them.

As for prep, it would really want wiping down with paint prep wipes, a hazing with some very fine wet and dry, then a good blow over with an airline before a paint prep wipe again. As I said before, it will be a time consuming job.

My Celica scuttle is similar and I have used AF revive trim dressing on it but it dosent last that long, think it lasted about a month or so on mine but it's left outside, would imagine garaged it could last a fair while.

Ended up doing a DIY respray on the supra one and have to say it was an absolute pig to do and the Finish isn't perfect due to how intricate it is but has lasted a good year nearly now living outside and hasn't tarnished at all

i re did mine and the product was................................... meguiars tyre shine lol paint a coat on thick leave for an hour buff off the repeat and and leave for a couple hours ie go have dinner ect the go back buff again and it will be mint

+1 for the Meguiars. I used the purple tyre gel stuff and it came up a treat. It's a lot easier than removing and painting, or buying a new one.