The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are the UK and J-Spec Wastegates different on the First Turbo?

Timlowthian

So having yet another problem while replacing turbo (Starting to wish id never started this NA-TT Conversion now).

I converted my NA-TT but on doing this found the second turbo was dead.

Now after fighting to get the old ones off turns out they are UK spec on a J Spec engine. The Replacements I bought are j-spec but have clearly been dropped in transit. (see below pic)

Can I transfer the wastegate from the uk spec turbos to the j-spec or are these different? They look the same.

Just carefully bend the pipe straight again and leave it on the turbo. So long as it's not cracked where it joins the canister it will be fine.

Pedant mode. That is the wastegate ACTUATOR, not the wastegate. Whether UK spec and J-spec actuators are the same part number I don't know, but I'll check for you. Your FCD is due to be collected today. Cheers Tim.

Just carefully bend the pipe straight again and leave it on the turbo. So long as it's not cracked where it joins the canister it will be fine.

Pedant mode. That is the wastegate ACTUATOR, not the wastegate. Whether UK spec and J-spec actuators are the same part number I don't know, but I'll check for you. Your FCD is due to be collected today. Cheers Tim.

Ahh you right my fault that is an Actuator isn't it. I will try and bend it back tonight see if I can get it straight. I didnt want to force anything and ruin it completely.

If the mounting bracket itself is bent it will affect how the wastegate opens, as the preload on the diaphragm spring inside will have altered. You can disconnect the arm at the tiny circlip at the end of the rod, and hold the wastegate flap shut, and compare where the hole in the end of the arm is compared to the pin it clips on to. Compare with an undamaged assembly and get them the same to a mm. I may have a good actuator and bracket, let me know if you want me to look, but it's too late to get it out today.