The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash Cams

gavin.starr

I seem to remember there being a thread regarding dash cams recentley. I cant seem to find it, but i wanted to ask if they got one and if its all working ok.

Im looking to get a kit of my own as the amount of clowns im encountering on a daily basis is rising, so i would like to get a kit as a form of protective evidence if something does happen.

There are hundreds of kits on ebay but i have no idea if they are any good or not.

So any info from someone that uses a dash cam would be great.

Gav

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wes, Hows it powered. Would i have to hard wire a power cable from the back of the cig lighter to the camera etc...

it comes with a cigarette lighter connection but I have done like you mentioned and have hard wired it using the power from the back of the cigarette lighter via a switch I can turn on and off

What's that monkon like?

I bought one which a few members said was alright, and it's pants.

Picture quality is amazing, but doesn't actually do what you want it too.

If your turn it off, it keeps turning on to record for a minute then turns off.

I just want something that's simple, plug and play and can record a decent length at a time

Mine is still powered off the cig lighter as I use it between cars.

Its great, it powers on and starts recording with key on, and powers down when you key off, it has an internal battery too.

Recording length depends on quality and size of memory card, I use a 32gb card and max settings and it gives plenty of recording time, also has a HDMI out, built in mic, GPS etc.

I've got the RoadHawk HD Motorsport in the GTR, it's a great camera, great update for speed (I think it's 5Hz). And in the 7 series, I've got the Transcend DrivePro 220 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Drive-Pro-Video-Recorder/dp/B00U701N6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432211705&sr=1-1&keywords=transcend+drivepro+220

It's a neat little unit with built in WiFi to pull the videos off. Winner.

I've got the RoadHawk HD Motorsport in the GTR, it's a great camera, great update for speed (I think it's 5Hz). And in the 7 series, I've got the Transcend DrivePro 220 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-Drive-Pro-Video-Recorder/dp/B00U701N6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1432211705&sr=1-1&keywords=transcend+drivepro+220

It's a neat little unit with built in WiFi to pull the videos off. Winner.

I was bought a transcend 220, great little unit. good wideangle lens and cheap to buy

I'm currently using a go pro hero 3 as my front dash cam and its brilliant. It has a looping mode, where it can record up to 60min intervals and you can control the camera via your phone using the go pro app. All platforms are compatible with the app. Windows phone, iphone and android.

For the rear, I use a camera made by the company qumox qj4000 or something like that and its £60 on amazon. Has all the features of the go pro and has number plate recognition, making them easier to read in playback.

Also can use all the same accessories as the go pros.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this as iv just seen several recent videos on Facebook of people trying to cause crashes for insurance fraud. I am definitely getting a camera before the weekend when I intend on taking the car for a weekend away. Anyone know the best latest offerings? I assume there is something better than the above now?

I have a GoPro but I imagine there's something better to use? Not sure on the length of video the GoPro does either tbh

Edited by JasonR24 (see edit history)

Still recommend the ones i have,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WINGONEER%C2%AE-0806-G-Sensor-Ambarella-Security/dp/B00UFQEVIG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1457519384&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=mini+806+dashcam

806 is the newer version i have the 805, they are tiny and great for not a lot of money

Agreed, this is the newer version of the unit I have and mine has worked without any issue :thumbs: