The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT86 now £22k

Gaz6002

Another price drop for a very under-appreciated modern car.

Sure, the engine could do with a bit more power and the cabin isn't the nicest, but this thing will never break. It's brilliant fun in the wet and at low speeds, drives beautifully, has lovely seats and great steering. All for the price of a boring hatchback.

Plus you can lease one for less than £300 per month.

Oh, and there's a lot of tuning bits on offer already.

So come on then chaps - anyone got one? Why aren't they more popular?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno why people buy these when MX5s are better & cheaper :(

They were optimistic but the result is disappointing. The Subaru BRZ is something I'd buy if I had to buy a new car though

EDIT: Also I thought the seats in the GT86 were horrid, gave me a bad back after 30-40mins

I dunno why people buy these when MX5s are better & cheaper :(

They were optimistic but the result is disappointing. The Subaru BRZ is something I'd buy if I had to buy a new car though

But the MX-5 isn't better... well, the mk3 isn't. I've yet to drive the new one.

The BRZ is just a budget version of the GT86?

But the MX-5 isn't better... well, the mk3 isn't. I've yet to drive the new one.

The BRZ is just a budget version of the GT86?

I've driven the late 2014 one, and my opinion is that it was terrific. No match for the original 1.8 mk1 but i thoroughly enjoyed it. Engine was a bit damp, felt underpowered and un-eager, but felt a lot quicker than the GT86. Plus the roof came down which is always great fun.

And yup, I prefer the BRZ's styling and colours to the GT86 though. I was on the verge of buying one last year (Ex showroom in blue, 500ish miles, as new apart from some sticky finger prints and shoe scuffs on door card), as in debit card on the salesmans desk but in the end I changed my mind after going through the figures again. Just felt like a lot of money for not much car, quite fortunate as I was made redundant a few weeks later (I found new employment immediately but took a considerable pay cut).

It's still something I'd consider buying though - My first post sounded a bit too negative than i intended it to be. I'm looking to replace my Alfa daily drive and the only two cars I'd consider buying: Subaru BRZ or a newer Alfa GT. An MX5 I'd prefer to a BRZ/GT86 but as a daily a 2+2 coupe would be more usable I think... I'd just need to give it breather mods, bigger wheels/tyres, better seats and fix the **** ***** **** ****** ******* wind noise (GT86 I drove had horrendous wind noise from the front window seals at 50mph+ - not sure if it was just that car)

You do have to rev the nuts off the GT86 for it to make progress, but it handles better than the Mazda and having owned a few of both, I'd far rather have Toyota/Subaru build quality! My issue with the BRZ is that you can't have a nicely integrated multimedia system, but I know what you mean about that blue. My Wife very nearly bought one a few months back for that exact reason.

I think I'd put up with the niggles of the GT86 just to have a car that's so much fun on your favourite B-road.

I think these look nice but just aren't special in any way. Kinda remind me of the Hyndai Coupe and values on that car plummeted. Feels like a pretend sports car. 22k gets you a nice low mileage 370z which is a world apart.

I can imagine these will depreciate like a stone in a few years.

I really like the GT86, i very very nearly bought one last year, but ended up wanting more power and got the supra which i'm very happy with,

But i think the way they drive when you get them out on the twisties and having to rev the engine hard to get it go anywhere makes you feel you are really driving the car rather than just tickling what performance it has

If the prices 2nd hand keep falling the way they do, I'll deffinately think about getting one as a daily driver

Being a Manager for a Toyota dealership I get to choose my company car and have had GT86's since launch day, yes they are underpowered but they are smashing fun to drive, they go round bends at any speed and come out the other side without any problems and if you really want to have fun you can turn off all computer controlled stability :blink: which is great fun!! I've had every colour currently available and have just ordered my shiny new 2016 Model GT Aero in Red :D yes the wing is a bit oversized for the car but it's something different and reminds me a bit of the TRD Supra wing so I thought what the hell... I've always chosen the 'Custom' leather option which is comfy and looks great with the diamond red cross stitching.

I really don't understand why people have a major dislike for them when they go and spend the same money on a Focus and in fact you can pick up a year old one (we've sold a good few) for the same money a new Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost I think I know which one I would rather own...

Being a Manager for a Toyota dealership I get to choose my company car and have had GT86's since launch day, yes they are underpowered but they are smashing fun to drive, they go round bends at any speed and come out the other side without any problems and if you really want to have fun you can turn off all computer controlled stability :blink: which is great fun!! I've had every colour currently available and have just ordered my shiny new 2016 Model GT Aero in Red :D yes the wing is a bit oversized for the car but it's something different and reminds me a bit of the TRD Supra wing so I thought what the hell... I've always chosen the 'Custom' leather option which is comfy and looks great with the diamond red cross stitching.

I really don't understand why people have a major dislike for them when they go and spend the same money on a Focus and in fact you can pick up a year old one (we've sold a good few) for the same money a new Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost I think I know which one I would rather own...

If only I had space for a new car... but luckily I'm in a position where I drive something different every night anyway. Had an Aero in a few weeks ago :)

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting my new Aero getting a bit bored of the standard ones now lol... What is it you do then Gaz? What car you got at the Mo?

So how much does that work out as? My dad is very interested in getting one

Jason, what spec is he looking at the Primo, Standard or Aero? any options he is thinking of?

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting my new Aero getting a bit bored of the standard ones now lol... What is it you do then Gaz? What car you got at the Mo?

I review cars for magazines. Right now I've got a Seat Leon X-Perience for the weekend and a Ford Focus long-termer, but there's another eight cars in the office for me to choose from :)

I review cars for magazines. Right now I've got a Seat Leon X-Perience for the weekend and a Ford Focus long-termer, but there's another eight cars in the office for me to choose from :)

Do you know a Ian Robertson from DieselCar magazine?

I do indeed. See him quite often on launches. Bumped into him on a Hyundai gig last week, in fact.

Lol... He's one of my closets friends! Small world hey... So I also get the same pleasures as yourself and get to drive and test every car he gets on review, the pleasure is I give my feedback on all of them and have to write zero haha!!

Jason, what spec is he looking at the Primo, Standard or Aero? any options he is thinking of?

I think he'd be interested in any but leather seats is a must. He's looking for a good deal really. Cheers

Lol... He's one of my closets friends! Small world hey... So I also get the same pleasures as yourself and get to drive and test every car he gets on review, the pleasure is I give my feedback on all of them and have to write zero haha!!

Haha nice one! Yeah, Ian is a good bloke. Tell him Gareth Evans sends his regards. I'm on a Ford event with a freelancer he's commissioned next week.

So how much does that work out as? My dad is very interested in getting one

Or alternatively if he would rather not spend money on a brand new one, I will leave this one here for him to ponder on? This is my current company car which is the Standard GT86 with Customer Leather, Red Interior to match, Arm Rest, Rear Parking sensors & carbon mirror caps (Stickers) in Pearl White!!!

http://usedcars.lancasterrayleigh.toyota.co.uk/Lancaster-Toyota-Rayleigh/Rayleigh-/604758016-1323229.aspx

Ignore the mileage on there it needs to be changed, it's currently at 6000 miles. This is up at £22995 but owes me £21835 so would be happy to do that on the same cost plus £100. Ideally tho my new one doesn't arrive until June ;)