The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£220 on classic car insurance

rider

Just switched to Footman James on a classic car policy. 2 years NCB, 5000 annual mileage, 5 track days, clean license, 26 years old and I've never made a claim (I have 8 years now on my daily).

Only down side is it's an NA-T which means heavily modded. Came in at a hair over £600

No one else came close. Perks of NA-T ownership I guess :(

Their website just said ot me:

"Unfortunately we are not able to process modifications online at this time. However, please call our sales team on 0333 207 6132 to discuss your specific needs further."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

Two vehicles coming due for insurance, BMW and Supra.

Been with SKY Insurance last two years for both vehicles, managed to get quotes much cheaper online.

Ended up with Adrian Flux having used them many times before over the years.

Saved myself £190.

Gave SKY an opportunity to beat the deal, took all my details again, but couldn't even budge on renewal price they originally offered.

Another annoyance with SKY being my No Claims Bonus was reduced from 15 years on moving to them 2 years ago to 9 years.

Had to request a letter in writing to obtain my 17 yrs NCB.

But do they do mod for mod on modified Supras ?

I also recall that you don't earn NCB on classic car insurance ..is that right ?

Sorry, after posting I noticed I really put this in the wrong thread.

Mine was to new Unfortunately as the LV Classic policy must be 20 years old.

Your right on a classic policy, I believe you do not acumulate any NCB from past experience.

If you were asking regarding my post and mods I only have very basic modifications, but A.Flux did say like for like cover.

Not sure how that works if you can't buy the parts any more, but as long as I'm insured I am not really bothered.

Sorry, after posting I noticed I really put this in the wrong thread.

Mine was to new Unfortunately as the LV Classic policy must be 20 years old.

Your right on a classic policy, I believe you do not acumulate any NCB from past experience.

If you were asking regarding my post and mods I only have very basic modifications, but A.Flux did say like for like cover.

Not sure how that works if you can't buy the parts any more, but as long as I'm insured I am not really bothered.

Hi mate, sorry my post was not that clear I must admit, it was towards the first post about going to Classic insurance

Guest suprasi
Well... I have just insured my TT Supe with Footman James for............£153 !! well happy I am.Classic car policy,,fully comp,, agreed value,, 2k miles p.a.

I was with Lynbrook but they had just sent me my renewal for over £400 !! I read about Footman James on here so thought I would give them a shout..Glad I did now :)

D

Wow!!! Great price

But do they do mod for mod on modified Supras ?

I also recall that you don't earn NCB on classic car insurance ..is that right ?

On classic car insurance you don't need NCD and you won't build any up. Footman and James told me to put my 10 years NCD on a different car or motor bike. Because after 2 years if not you will loose them altogether !

• 6 months later...
Footman and James don't take modifications on.

Adrian flux quoted me £1200- outrageous.

Sky just over £700-

I'm 33 6yrs nct. No points or disquals. Garaged, 3000miles a year.

Finding it hard searching around. All extortionate

For classic car insurance try Lynbrook, or Livingstones Warman.

Insurance falls due again soon so thinking where to pitch it now. Three years ago the insured value was £9k, two years ago £12k, last year £18k and I'm think this year £24k which will be the first time the insured value will exceed what I originally paid for the car. I recon that's about right as a dealer price to replace seeing agreed insurance value should reflect the cost to replace and that's close to recent dealer sold ads. I'll go out for a few quotes and post who comes in with the best deal of cost to mileage limit.

Insurance falls due again soon so thinking where to pitch it now. Three years ago the insured value was £9k, two years ago £12k, last year £18k and I'm think this year £24k which will be the first time the insured value will exceed what I originally paid for the car. I recon that's about right as a dealer price to replace seeing agreed insurance value should reflect the cost to replace and that's close to recent dealer sold ads. I'll go out for a few quotes and post who comes in with the best deal of cost to mileage limit.

There are a few on Autotrader at that price so I agree.. Let us know who you end up with as mine is due in a few months .. I have been with SKY for the past 5 years now, they have always been the nest package for me and have matched any cheaper quotes I have had so far.

• 1 month later...

Quotes in for so far for £24k agreed value.

Adrian Flux £192

Lancaster £231

Footman £241

LV £313

I won't be renewing with LV. Still awaiting Hegarty quote. May well go for the Footman as the insurer is Ageas who have a good customer service reputation.

• 1 month later...

Cancelled the Footman arranged insurance after 4 days following a letter rejecting the agreed value sum in favour of their market assessment of £12k. They would require a recognised third party valuation o insure for any amount over £12k. Try getting a TT6 for £12k, Footman think you can. Back to LV, no faffing around with them.

• 11 months later...

Not £220 any longer but I raised the agreed value to £28k and LV renewal came in at £340. Didn't shop around this year other than to enquire of Hegerty to add the Supra to my multi-car classic policy already running with them for other cars and they quotes £191 for six months cover; timed to run to next renewal.

I've just tried to get cover with LV and they say i can only get TPFT cover due to the age of my Range Rover ?

LV or LV Classics? They have different call numbers, the LV Classics is on 0800 316 4862.

LV or LV Classics? They have different call numbers, the LV Classics is on 0800 316 4862.

I was trying to do it online but that just got me the normal insurance part, i have to call them to get the classic policy

Just got off the phone to LV, they wont cover my Range Rover on the drive

with a value of £30k, they will only cover up to £20k unless its in the garage

Perhaps they should say that on their webpage

To take out an LV= classic car policy:

your classic car must be over 20 years old

your classic car must be valued up to £40,000

there shouldn't be any renovations being carried out during the life of your policy

the annual mileage mustn't exceed 5,000 miles

all drivers named on the policy need to be over 30

your classic car can't be your main car

You can use your classic car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes, as well as commuting.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)