The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car will now not start

neil

Hi all I have just changed all my intake on the car along with a after market throttle body I have gone to start it and will not start it is a vvti fbw wich has been replaced for a 100mm tb and after market intake it turns Over but dose not start and will result in a large bang if turned over to long there's a good spark so I'm lost and do I need any of the sensors on the top of the manifold it is also running standalone ecu do I need to change ote on that kind regards

Excuse the wording it's a mess

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

i would say it's tps missing from your new setup?

or have you fitted a throttle pot to your new body?

is the haltech a piggy back? what controlled the dbw system?

just as quick check reconnect the wires to dbw body and see if it starts, that way the ecu will think that your engine is at idle at least?

let us know what the problem was.

regards chris

I have tried connecting all the old tb its fbw and stuff it's just not having it its winding me up tbh nothing's ever simple and the haltec runs the car but it has the old ecu on for a reson I can't fully remember being avvti could it be down to that as it seems like a timing issue

Yes mate I have looked the sensors on top are abit messy but I connected them and don't seem to make a difference one was blanked off and I'm at a loss I'm gona try the old tb on fully assembled and see if it idils right

have you changed the wording?

I did not know it was standalone ecu.

have you set the throttle pot on the new throttle body?

did the standalone ecu control the dbw or did you convert to a purely mechanical system?

does it now start as in an earlier post you said "i will try old set up an see if it idles right"?

does the standalone use the dbw pot for throttle position?

I take it all was ok before replacing manifold?

does the standalone ecu use the maf sensor or is it run on a map sensor (assuming that the na vvti uses a maf) have you checked basics, is it sparking, plugs, dizzy cap etc.

map senor wiring ok if it uses one?

Hi all I have just changed all my intake on the car along with a after market throttle body I have gone to start it and will not start it is a vvti fbw wich has been replaced for a 100mm tb and after market intake it turns Over but dose not start and will result in a large bang if turned over to long there's a good spark so I'm lost and do I need any of the sensors on the top of the manifold it is also running standalone ecu do I need to change ote on that kind regards

Excuse the wording it's a mess

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199388[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199389[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199390[/ATTACH]

forgot to ask is it manual or auto, and i take it that the standalone ecu controls the vvti.

not being funny but are you sure it is running a standalone ecu, i am no tuner but i thought that the vvti and dbw was a problem on some ecus, please don't take it wrong just checking and trying to help.

regards chris

I tried the old tb fully wired up with tps on its fbw tb and no start up it has a map but when I pull up ecu diagram tps works fine but no manifold pressure could it be that possibly ??

And would any one be willing to come help me this week as I'm at a loss

It runs off the stand alone ecu but it connects to the old one to run the fbw could it be that I'm really lost tbh. It's a 5spd manual fully sparking and priming fuel pump and plenty of fuel it gona be somet so simple just idk what all ran before

when you mean pull up ecu diagram do you when mean when a laptop is connected to the standalone ecu?

you are not answering previous questions.

is it tuned on map sensor only?

then it could be the map sensor/wiring fault.

as said i am not a tuner but i would have thought the ecu would have a cold crank start map and does not rely on map sensor for starting, once engine is above a preset rpm then it uses the map sensor.

have you introduced a massive leak somewhere whilst doing manifold?

check map sensor when connected to laptop and crank car to confirm wiring and basic sensor test.

regards chris

I tried the old tb fully wired up with tps on its fbw tb and no start up it has a map but when I pull up ecu diagram tps works fine but no manifold pressure could it be that possibly ??

And would any one be willing to come help me this week as I'm at a loss

hi I have had Lyndon round off the club too look at car witch was much apreshiated of him I am still lost with it, it now wont re run so goin to try it again tmoz it has a map sensor witch controls the fuel I think I am going to check air leak tmoz and hope fully get it running I am only running standard map sensor

From what I could see the haltec runs the injectors and coils and cams and the factory ecu ran the DBW throttle. The map sensor is stock, I reset the tps range and checked the cam timing. The Manifold earths I didn't check as the Greddy style manifold makes that quite difficult. If the VVTi is the same as the NA and TT then there should be 2 earths on the lower manifold arranged as 2 H bolt though terminals. There is no provision for an idle value now the DBW has been remove. There is a question mark over the calibration of the Stock Map sensor but as it ran before that should not matter. It trys to starts but there seems to be some post start ignitor triggering causing it to back fire and kick back which leads me to think the engine timing has some how been compromised. I only had an hour so I couldn't look into it into any more depth.

what about putting a timing light on in to check advance etc. is there a scope function with the haltech ecu software if yes you could check crank and cam signals, could the cam sensor have been disconnected / faulty connection etc whilst the manifold was fitted.

as said before i not a tuner, does ecu get TDC ref from the cam sensor, as i thought that there is no tdc reference on the crank timing disc? if so could be why it's backfiring etc?

what about looking through the manual to see what is earthed at the manifold and checking at the component end for earth, you would have to be careful but you could use a stop light bulb to pass a safe current down it.

regards chris.

so was it the throttle pot causing the problem missing from your system?

so the oem ecu runs the dbw and vvti.

your fuel pressure seems too low to me, most cars run about 3 bar static ( no vacuum or pressure to the regulator) to me i would have thought that the atomisation would not be that good at that pressure, could be wrong,

pleased for you that it's running, all thats left to get sorted is your new throttle body.