The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA misfire and 'Spluttering / Popping' on idle. Updated with Video

JDukesy

Hi everyone,

Bit of an issue which I'm looking for some advice on. I have done a search and lots of information but nothing that quite matches the problem I'm having.

So I have just had my car serviced including full set of new plugs (NGK BKR5EYA-11). However got in the car this morning started fine all seemed normal. Drove off casually then first time putting my foot in it a bit it revved to about 3k and then just hesitates and misfired,. Then on idle it began to pop and I could feel vibration. If I raised the revs to about 1k it was fine and car behaves normally between 1-3k rpm.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to these kind of things so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by JDukesy (see edit history)

The most obvious cause of a misfire at this time of year would be water/moisture in the electrics, blow out the plug wells, distributor cap and leads with compressed air and give all a spray with WD40, also check the HT leads are properly fitted.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

As Nic said could be water or oil in the spark plug chambers, pull the leads off and have a look, if it's all dry touch all the leads when it's running, one might be arking..? You might get a very slight tingle if it is lol

Iv Had this problem before once with water getting in from the Allen key bung in the head and a split ignition lead!

Also check the king lead (coil to distributor)

Problem solved. Thanks for all the help.

One further question, I am thinking I might just replace distributor cap, rotor arm and ignition leads while I am refreshing things anyway. Where is the best place to get all of this stuff, any recommendations?

Thanks,

One further question, I am thinking I might just replace distributor cap, rotor arm and ignition leads while I am refreshing things anyway. Where is the best place to get all of this stuff, any recommendations?

Thanks,

When I went to refresh all that on my N/A I found loads of good deals + quick international shipping from RocAuto

What was it?

Replace with either genuine OEM Toyota parts or you may find it cheaper to source from Denso (who supply the OEM parts to Toyota) if they are listed here http://densoautoparts.com/find-my-part/vehicle-selection