The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Bayside Blue Aerotop 6 Speed

bayside_supra

• bayside_supra changed the title to My Bayside Blue Aerotop 6 Speed

Evening guys

Thought I would resurrect my old thread as I have recently gone abit crazy on the car. Back in 2019 I went to Japfest Donnington, day was OK but real highlight was taking the car on track for a little session. Awesome fun and realised that my car is not a track car at all LOL, car performed great but felt a bit too heavy for that sort of work, still amazing to see what the car was like on the limit. On the way home I heard a ticking noise from under the bonnet, took it to Darren at Magnum Performance and turned out the manifold gasket had gone. After a bit of "while you're in there" chat we decided to upgrade the top end of the engine. The following setup was installed:

CNC race ported head upgraded valves, guides, dual springs

GSC 269 billet cams

ID1300 injectors

SSI inatake manifold

Whifbitz 5" intercooler

Precision 6870 Gen 2 0.84ar

4" downpipe

Flex fuel sensor

Twin Walbro fuel pumps

Teflon fuel lines

Oil cooler

ARP Head studs

Relocated battery to boot

Car fully undersealed

Plus lots of other little bits that were needed

The idea was to get lower spool than the old Borg, and more top end with a raised rev limit. The hope was around 800fwhp with as big a power band as possible. I took the car to Romain for mapping, and one of the fuel pumps was playing up, so we had to call it a day.

Went back to Darren, he fixed the fuel pump and I took the car home. Over the next few days I made the decision to hold off mapping the car. I had everything there for what could be a 1000hp+ car, I just needed the block to handle it. So I discussed with Darren, and looked at some options to build the bottom end. The quotes were quite a lot more expensive than I thought, but I made the decision to do it so put the car away and started saving. In December out came the amazingly presented setup that I had driven less than 100 miles on, and this went in:

Brand new 2JZ-GTE block

Manley tri meam rods with ARP 625+ bolts

Manley turbo tuff pistons with upgraded pins

Crank polished and balanced

ARP main bolts

Titan billet main caps

ACL race bearings

New oil pump

ARP 625+ head studs (replaced the previous ARP head studs)

Titan billet cam tensioner

Spec stage 3+ clutch

Resprayed engine bay satin black

Relocated various wiring looms etc to tidy bay up

Carbon fan shroud and fuse box cover

Rolling anti lag button on steering wheel

I think that is about it. Now I have to run the engine in, weather is not helping. The new engine feels amazing, slightly raised compression, really smooth, clutch is a bit tricky but nice and light. I am very happy, just need to get these 1000 miles done and can see the results.

thumbnail_03FB4284-CBB3-42DB-BA5A-6518AE1916F2.jpg.58053043b709a4f3d21644f17fc584ee.jpgthumbnail_53570938-025A-4C0F-B7C6-EFCD83FDFD82.jpg.71e46da7a2cfe05f3b2ed1ce8998bb4c.jpg

image1.jpeg.e28f48a6e445d26ff3ac7d55fca08394.jpegimage6.jpeg.d53033ab76a715f0a848762ef9250463.jpegthumbnail_IMG_6027.thumb.jpg.76ebfb9474be41355e28842a2110cc6c.jpgIMG_7755.JPG.2b4ecad74a4fc7054605fd0a735e0e2d.JPG

Since the last update on this thread I have also changed the tyres to R888Rs and the brakes to K Sports all round (had to wait ages for yellow) with Ferodo DS2500 pads.

thumbnail_IMG_6850.thumb.jpg.41caab5e5a729fee66e8d3968aae0931.jpgthumbnail_66CF0E5B-EF6A-477F-916E-345CC5B6F04F.thumb.jpg.231040dd55c51c2f47467bf176ae3977.jpg

The other half also got me a cartoon my car done for Xmas :)thumbnail_IMG_2378.jpg.2f80d8c2438a5df62120496c5a0a39f7.jpg

I also plan on turning my old block into a coffee table 

thumbnail_IMG_2283.thumb.jpg.ae1085feb1e124716571b67742e8197f.jpg

Sorry for the long post but theres been a few changes!

Edited by bayside_supra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello mate,

Wow! You have been busy and looks like Daz has done a top job on that engine bay, all looking very nice indeed! Love how a manifold leak morphed into a complete new engine and supporting mods to make 1,000hp, but look forward to seeing your updates once it’s properly run in and you can see what it will make. Nice list of parts so should make good numbers. Main thing is your happy with it and the car is looking amazing! Like the yellow K-Sport’s with your blue, works really well and was worth the wait. 👍 

Hoping to get mine back soon, and maybe doing some shows later this year if we’re allowed. Maybe see you around. 

Enjoy and hope the weather improves as that’s a lot of ponies to control in the cold and the wet!

All the best,

Pete :) 

1 hour ago, Peter P said:

Hello mate,

Wow! You have been busy and looks like Daz has done a top job on that engine bay, all looking very nice indeed! Love how a manifold leak morphed into a complete new engine and supporting mods to make 1,000hp, but look forward to seeing your updates once it’s properly run in and you can see what it will make. Nice list of parts so should make good numbers. Main thing is your happy with it and the car is looking amazing! Like the yellow K-Sport’s with your blue, works really well and was worth the wait. 👍 

Hoping to get mine back soon, and maybe doing some shows later this year if we’re allowed. Maybe see you around. 

Enjoy and hope the weather improves as that’s a lot of ponies to control in the cold and the wet!

All the best,

Pete :) 

Thanks bud, always the way. If my valve stem seals didn’t need doing I probably wouldn’t have gone single at all lol

22 minutes ago, AC93 said:

Looks good! Be interesting to see how the turbo balances fast spool and maintain top end power.. what AR is the spooly?

How are the K sports with Ferodo pads? I'm in 2 minds on what BBK to choose!

0.84ar so one step smaller than the previous 1.0ar on the Borg Warner. The hope is that will come in sooner and continue making power for longer. Will be interesting to see 😁

The K Sports and ds2500 are fantastic. No fade on track and not bad on brake dust. Nice firm pedal, no noise. Different league to uk brakes, for the money they are well worth it. 

11 minutes ago, Noz said:

Looking forward to seeing how the .8 ar spools.

Take it you went for 9.1 CR?

Yep 9.1 CR. Makes more difference than I expected so far

• Like 1

You say 0.84 is one step smaller than the 1.0 on the borg Warner turbo. But being different volumes surely you are comparing apples to oranges.

Have you compared exducer wheel sizes to see if they are similar at all?

May find the 6870 .84 exhaust housing turbine has a larger volume than the old 1.0 turbo. Though smaller ratio thus having a lower number.

13 hours ago, bayside_supra said:

Thanks bud, always the way. If my valve stem seals didn’t need doing I probably wouldn’t have gone single at all lol

0.84ar so one step smaller than the previous 1.0ar on the Borg Warner. The hope is that will come in sooner and continue making power for longer. Will be interesting to see 😁

The K Sports and ds2500 are fantastic. No fade on track and not bad on brake dust. Nice firm pedal, no noise. Different league to uk brakes, for the money they are well worth it. 

Yep 9.1 CR. Makes more difference than I expected so far

Thats interesting to see how it gets mapped. My Borg is only a S364 0.88, it's on full boost at 4k and holds till 7500rpm, on my dyno sheet the torque starts to drop off after 6500rpm (VVTi, cams, forged bottom)

Good to hear - guess I better start saving up for brakes! 

Edited by AC93 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Noz said:

You say 0.84 is one step smaller than the 1.0 on the borg Warner turbo. But being different volumes surely you are comparing apples to oranges.

Have you compared exducer wheel sizes to see if they are similar at all?

May find the 6870 .84 exhaust housing turbine has a larger volume than the old 1.0 turbo. Though smaller ratio thus having a lower number.

No good point that. I will compare them and see what the actual volume is on each

• Like 1

have you done 1000 miles yet!!!!! lovely looking car and some great work by Darren there.

Have you had a big power supra on the dyno before? Are you going along for the day? It was never a experience I enjoyed watching all your hard earned getting a thrashing on the dyno. Will never forget Ryan doing a simulated track run on my black one and the noise it made as he tortured it on the dyno :)

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)