The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why i hate diesels?

T14PPA

My dad was moaning yesturday about his mercedes sprinter smoking and making a spitting air noise. I knew straight away it would be injectors but i didnt think it would be this bad lol image.jpg

Normally i would use chisel all the crap off and change the seals to begin with. But has anyone got any other methods to clear all the gunk off? As im trying to find any faster methods.

Brake cleaner breaks it down to some extent mate, but that's fooked! I'd chisel off as much as you can but I'd be fitting a new cam cover aswell.

Why a new cam cover? No point. Someone in a garage near mine said to pour coke on it the night before. Thought that was weird

Why a new cam cover? No point. Someone in a garage near mine said to pour coke on it the night before. Thought that was weird

Suppose it all boils down to how worried he is about what it looks like.

Coke may well do it. I've seen it do toilets, rusty bumpers etc.

Suppose it all boils down to how worried he is about what it looks like.

Coke may well do it. I've seen it do toilets, rusty bumpers etc.

He did say toilets aswell lol. He only needs the van for a couple more years till he retires. Ill clean it up as good as possible. Just hope the injectors come out easy

Erm really? what the actual F is that? I have never seen that kind of eruption before and I've had a few deisels.

Havent you? Its the diesel that leaks from the injectors. Very common if not caught fast enough. My dad only realised as a chunk dropped on the manifold and started smoking

The "black death" is so common on that range of MB engines. On one of them there is a shorter bolt used on one of the injectors and if you mix the bolts up and put one of the normal ones into the position where it should be a short one it punctures into the water way! Ask me how I know. My mate at work just did his 320cdi and used the reseating tool to clean up the seat, works a treat and carb clean is good for the final cleaner up once you have chiselled the bulk of it off.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

I've been around engines for thirty years and I've yet to stand in front of one that looks like that!

Just another example of this supposed superior German engineering that is keeping the workshop stuffed with repairs, the spare parts department flat out & really boosting our Japanese forklift sales recently!

I've never seen more pathetic methods of performing the simplest of tasks than what a German company can, not only get away with, but have the brass neck to proclaim as technical advancements in the industry.

In the last 18 months I've seen the innards of more German machinery than I did in the 20 years prior when Toyotas & Mitsubishis were the mainstay of our customer's fleets.

I'd say give me a Toyota 2Z or a Mitsubishi S6S for an easy life but what with repairs and spare part sales Europe's finest will probably put my little boy through college as well as fund my extravagant lifestyle so instead I think I'll say keep making crap and selling it to people daft enough to believe the hype.

I was once faced with the choice of a Mercedes E300 or a Renault Megane to drive for a week that I was going to be without my own motor.

How bad does a car have to be to come second to a flippin' Megane??

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not actually sure what I am looking at in that photo??

Can someone explain to me lol

The injector over time loses its seal with the seat, so it leaks small amounts of diesel, making it look like it has just s*** itself. That said, don't think I've ever seen one as bad as the OP's pic either haha

The wife has a 1.6 HDI Pug 3008. It's just done 80k and we bought it new 4 years ago. It started to develop a smell which got quite bad after prolonged driving.

Put it in for the last service and had this checked out. Transpired it's the same problem as described. Build up of diesel stuff from leaking injector seal.

Ours is nothing like this and will be dealt with ASAP. Just surprised to have seen this thread and then have it happen. Never heard of this before.